Digital Tacho's revisited !?!

Just got a letter from one of the agencies I work for:

“When the legislation comes into force any driver that does NOT have a digital card will be UNABLE to drive a vehicle fitted with a tachograph, digital or ANALOGUE because if stopped for an inspection by a VOSA official or the police under the new legislation you will need to produce your digital drivers card as well as your analogue tacho chart regardless of type tacho is fitted to your unit.”

Now I am confused - since the official site tells you not to get a digital card until you have to drive a truck that needs one, and if you are driving a truck fitted with a digital tacho how will you produce an analogue chart ?!?!

Oh and the Bar Stewards want us to pay for them ourselves as well … …

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this ■■

G

I’d say they are just trying to scare you into getting one asap.

When the legislation comes into force any driver that does NOT have a digital card will be UNABLE to drive a vehicle fitted with a tachograph, digital or ANALOGUE

from what ive read if you have a digital tachograph card and you used it say friday last week and come monday morning your in a analogue unit you forget your digital card then you cannot drive anything as you dont have a record on you of previous dutys.

like they say there trying to scare you into getting one. it must be a right pain in the arse if your stopped by the feds and have to explain that monday digital tuesday analogue wednesday digital etc etc…

they also take longer in the morning processing and reading the card then when you do a manual tacho. i also read that if your stopped by vosait can take up to 20 minutes to analize the data :open_mouth: on the card

jon

maybe it was supposed to read

When the legislation comes into force any driver that does have a digital card but is not carrying it[b/b] will be UNABLE to drive a vehicle fitted with a tachograph, digital or ANALOGUE
[/quote]
jon

I got a letter from my agency a couple of weeks ago telling me which of their clients were likely to have digital tachos in the near future & advising me that it would be sensible to get one soon.

Mine arrived yesterday, just over a week after ordering it. Im sure it will sit in my wallet for upto a year, or even longer but at least now I have it. Also, as a Nova driver I was able to put it down as an expense. :smiley:

So, it seems that the only people who will be able to drive new trucks are Nova registered :stuck_out_tongue:

I would prefer to drive an older truck with a :smiley: log book

Wheel Nut:
I would prefer to drive an older truck with a :smiley: log book

Bing Crosby to Frank Sinatra in the film ‘High Society’:
You must be one of the newer fellas

(actually he said it :unamused: )

Logbooks had sequenced numbers, if you’d been born a bit sooner you’d have had the joy of log sheets produced like confetti by the companies concerned on a copier. :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

as useful as log books / sheets were for creative driving …

i think the iddeal solution would be a new truck and a then a log sheet the best ones i used where made of velum and by sprinkling french chalk on them you could make the hours all look legal by by just blowing it of with an airline…

because you need to use about 500g per sheet we had it got in by the barrel load

didnt pay for it just nicked it from a factory we used to deliver too…they didnt notice it was missing right thru til the taco came in for international work in 1976

I run half an agency & Customers are telling us that if our drivers dont have a digital card they will NOT use them…!!

UnionJack:
I run half an agency & Customers are telling us that if our drivers dont have a digital card they will NOT use them…!!

:open_mouth: Blimey thats a lot of cards for you to buy then. :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Gazzareth:
Just got a letter from one of the agencies I work for:

“When the legislation comes into force any driver that does NOT have a digital card will be UNABLE to drive a vehicle fitted with a tachograph, digital or ANALOGUE because if stopped for an inspection by a VOSA official or the police under the new legislation you will need to produce your digital drivers card as well as your analogue tacho chart regardless of type tacho is fitted to your unit.”

Now I am confused - since the official site tells you not to get a digital card until you have to drive a truck that needs one, and if you are driving a truck fitted with a digital tacho how will you produce an analogue chart ?!?!

Oh and the Bar Stewards want us to pay for them ourselves as well … …

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this ■■

G

wrong
Agency just say that as it is easier to book you in,as big Companies use both kind of models.

UnionJack:

:wink: they will be shortly short on drivers if they are refusing each driver

Silver_Surfer:
I’d say they are just trying to scare you into getting one asap.

they will make you applying for one as they run out of Drivers shortly,and make Panic to avoid applying by Employers for Paying the Card

… … going to get one anyway as I will (hopefully) be moving house in a few months and it may help with the new agencies I register with - doubt the Midlands agencies I use at the moment will have clients in Scotland.and change of address is free !!!

Although kind of ironic since I have been driving a shunter for the last couple of months - so no Tacho off any kind !!

G

There is no requirement for you to have a Digital Tachograph Drivers’ card if you are driving a vehicle fitted with an analogue tacho. If you drive a digital vehicle you must use a digital drivers card, unless the journey is exempt EC Regs.
If you drive an analogue equipped vehicle you must produce charts for the current week and the last period of driving during the previous week. You must also produce your drivers digital card (even if you have never used it), if you have one. If you are stopped driving a digital vehicle and have been driving an analogue vehicle during the period mentioned, you will need to produce the required analogue charts in addition to your drivers card.
Word of warning; The ‘new’ drivers hours legislation is nearly ready for publication, 20 days after it comes into force (possibly early May) you will have to produce all charts for the current week and the previous 15 days. This is set to change to 28 days on 01/01/2008.