Digital radio

Could someone out there please recommend a digital radio that works in trucks. I have tried 3 previously but none were that good. I drive a different truck everyday so it can’t one that’s installed. I can’t listen to Steve Wright anymore (he does my head in), I would rather be listening to Radcliffe and Maconie and Radio 6 has better music (but that’s just my opinion).

Have a look at www.dabonwheels.co.uk they sell a few different plug in dab add on receivers as well as different mag mount aerials

Many thanks, I’ll try it.

Do the units you drive have an auxhiliary line in?

Unfortunately, no. If they did I could listen to my ipod until Simon Mayo comes on.

I thought about getting a mini rig, they’re about £90 though. Then you could stream internet radio and digital channels all day long if you have a smart phone and a good phone network.

I run a Pure DAB. It receives the DAB signal and then transmits it on an FM frequency of your choice. You just tune the radio in the truck to that frequency and hey presto…digital radio!

The aerial that comes with it is ok but I spent an extra £13.99 and got a mag mount aerial.

HTH

I used to have a pure Highway DAB, in my truck, brilliant little thing it was, and really easy and simple to set up, tune in and connect it to the trucks fitted radio. As Bacon Sandwich said, the standard ariel is ok for that type of unit, but would benefit from a better one. I had mine till the cost of a DAB head unit came down. Now ive got a sony DAB head unit that i bought from halfords for about 150 quid, and i wouldn’t have anything else fitted. The cost of a DAB head unit has come down alot now days, but do ypu research first. Some are better than others, I.e. picking up the signal etc. And some dont come with the DAB ariel. But to be honest, sometimes the ariel that does come with the radio isn’t the best, so buying one from ebay is the better option.

i have had one of these in my JCB for 3 years now , lasting well as the dust kills them
certain places it does not pick a good signal up , but if so it reverts back to the same station on fm (if programed in the memory) until it regains dab

caraudiocentre.co.uk/product … -31413.htm

Try this as they no longer make the pure highway DAB

halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/c … io-adaptor

And don’t forget to get this

halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/c … ab-antenna

trog020:
Could someone out there please recommend a digital radio that works in trucks. I have tried 3 previously but none were that good. I drive a different truck everyday so it can’t one that’s installed. I can’t listen to Steve Wright anymore (he does my head in), I would rather be listening to Radcliffe and Maconie and Radio 6 has better music (but that’s just my opinion).

You’ll get no joy if you’re trying to use the radio aerial the normal truck radio uses. DAB is on completely different frequencies and requires a different length antenna.

Your problem if you’re trying to use the one with the radio is the antenna. Ideally you need to find one with an antenna socket and get a DAB antenna you can stick outside the truck.

A much better way if the truck radio does bluetooth or has AUX in is to just use BBC iPlayer if you’re on a good data contract.

I use a snooper Db8500, it has dab built in and transmits to the truck radio.

Also TV video and mp3 for all my albums.

Mainly planet rock driving and the TV when I’m parked up :smiley:

I too have the Snooper DB8500 pro sound, and have all the music options I could ever hope for. Navteq mapping`s far from faultless (like any other satnav) but the facility to bluetooth everything through FM is just fab!

Like most thing radio, pay particular attention to the aerial.
An outside aerial made for the band will be an order of magnitude better than a “tape on window” jobbie also remember DAB is transmitted vertically which is how you (as best as you can) should have the aerial and as high as you can.

ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-DIGITAL-R … 35d34b5b0d

You can get them with 5 metres of cable too.

I have a little cheap bluetooth speaker sitting on the dash and play music/radio from my phone, the radio in my truck broke so thats my only option and its worked out pretty good.

Thank you for all the suggestions, it’s given me plenty to think about.

Much appreciated

I’ve enjoyed digital radio for years now both in wagons and latterly mobile plant but it has always been spoiled by LED lights which seem to kill the signal reception. In my last truck, a DAF CF, I had the dealer swap the cab top marker lights from LED to old style bulbs which sorted the problem.

Always had a proper roof mounted twig. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this and found a solution? Some sort of suppressor or choke fitted maybe ?