Digi Tacho Driving Time Calculation after breaks

I’ve not used them too much as we run a lot of 05’s or older, but when i have i’ve done my 4½ hrs driving and have 45m rest, the displayed current driving time resets to zero when i press the down button on the menu when i continue with my next 4½ hrs driving.

Tonight i drove 3½ hrs then had 45m rest and when i started heading back i checked the VU and the driving time had reset to 00hr 01m.

My question is, if i drive for 4½ hrs, the VU warns me at 4hr 15m to take a break and i have my 45m, is the VU programmed to warn me that my daily driving limit is up after another 1hr driving [time left from before my 1st break] and when does it warn me [after 45m driving?]

thanks in advance

i dont think they do warn you when your daily driving limit is about to be reached. it just warns you when you are close to 4.5 hours again.

i may be wrong but i have never noticed this.

There’s no warning for the daily driving limit, the tachograph couldn’t really know weather you’re driving for nine hours or ten during the shift.

tachograph:
There’s no warning for the daily driving limit, the tachograph couldn’t really know weather you’re driving for nine hours or ten during the shift.

:bulb: :bulb: Perhaps, in the future, the makers could install a warning at the 9 and 10 hour limits…

ROG:

tachograph:

:bulb: :bulb: Perhaps, in the future, the makers could install a warning at the 9 and 10 hour limits…

As far as I know there are no plans to introduce the next generation of digital tachographs any time in the foreseeable future :frowning:

thanks to all for the info, guess i’ll just run with the stopwatch then if it’s not straight down / straight back to base then.

bbez:
thanks to all for the info, guess i’ll just run with the stopwatch then if it’s not straight down / straight back to base then.

You’re safer running with a note pad.

A stop watch will count the time from when you press the button to start it until you press the button to stop it. :open_mouth:
Your digi-tacho may well disagree with your stop watch, which could mean you either stop for a break earlier than you need to or get caught short of time.

Use the built in counters of your digi-tacho, make a note of its times in your note pad.

If you rely on your stop watch and make an unfortunate error. Giving the reason as - “my stop watch said I was OK”, when(if) the VOSA catch up with you will not wash.
The times recorded by your digi-tacho are the times you can be done for, the times on your stop watch are immaterial.

I agree with Simon, no way should you be relying on times other than those shown on the digital tachograph, these are the times that will be recorded on your driver card.

It would be much better if when you have your break you make a note of how much driving time you’ve used before the tachograph resets for the next 4.5 hour driving period.

i noticed that when i use the stopwatch on an analogue tacho, i get further than with running a digi and checking the current driving time on the VU. I checked a printout one night and it stated 4hr 40m driving time before my 45m, but i can do it with analogue in 4hr 30m

That’s more lack of knowledge on my part as i’ve just been left to own devices with how to operate it. I purchased a tach course cd-rom of e-bay for £10 so looks like i’d better get it out the wrapper

Thank for the info though, i’m not wanting any grief…