Digi card expires

Hope someone can help,my digi card expires at midnight sunday the problem is i will be working/driving at the time,now i know the it will show card expires on my tacho so do i have to stop at 23.55 and take my card out or leave it in.Also do i have to do printouts for Sunday and Monday?

not too sure on the procedure but i would

do a print out at the start of your shift on Sunday, stick the card in and drive with it in and just leave it in. run another printout off at midnight (or just after for sunday) then carry on and do a couple of printouts on the Monday when you’ve finished your shift and just write on it that your card expired at midnight and the date it expired and hand one in and keep one for the obligatory 28 days.

cant see vosa having a problem with it to be honest, at least you’ve tried to show them everything there is to see, they cant expect you to have 2 days off just cos your spy isn’t lasting forever

rustyoldbolt:
Hope someone can help,my digi card expires at midnight sunday the problem is i will be working/driving at the time,now i know the it will show card expires on my tacho so do i have to stop at 23.55 and take my card out or leave it in.Also do i have to do printouts for Sunday and Monday?

When your new card arrived there should have been a leaflet explaining what you need to do, didn’t you receive one ?

I believe you will need to stop at midnight and change the card (old card out new in) but I could be wrong :wink:

A thread that should answer your question.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69794

dar1976:
A thread that should answer your question.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69794

The thread you’ve linked to is nearly a year old and what was correct at that time no longer applies, it was the case that a driver card wouldn’t work on the last day before expiry hence the need for printouts, but that’s been fixed now, I can’t remember the exact date but any card that expired after last summer (I think it was about last summer anyway) should work right up until midnight on the expiry date.

The op can check with the leaflet he should have received with the new card but I’m reasonably sure he will need to have a break or just stop just before midnight and change the card over at or just after midnight and do a manual entry for any time the card is out of the tachograph.

Ok. Sorry for confusion. Will sit quietly in the corner :smiley:

dar1976:
Ok. Sorry for confusion. Will sit quietly in the corner :smiley:

No problem :wink:

Just found this which explains everything needed for this thread :smiley:

The DVLA has revealed that some digital tachograph cards issued before 26 August 2006 will expire a day earlier than stated on the card.

Early expiry dates on digital tachograph cards operators warned DVLA is issuing reminder notices to all drivers affected but, in the meantime, VOSA has issued guidance of its own.

The agency warns that action should be taken to ensure compliance with the Drivers Hours requirement. It advises that on the last two days prior to the card expiry date, a daily activities printout should be produced from the vehicle unit (VU) when taking over the vehicle and when leaving it.

“If in a vehicle at the time of card expiry you must, immediately, or at the first safe time, after midnight on the expiry date, insert your new driver’s card into the digital tachograph,” says the DVLA statement. “In order to comply with the requirements to produce your tachograph records, you must [also] carry your old tachograph card with you for the following 28 days.”

Both main tachograph manufacturers — Continental and Stoneridge — have confirmed what will happen in their devices when the driver card expires.

For Continental, the DTCO waits until the first stop after the expiry of the card, before ejecting it and stating that the card is no longer valid. If the vehicle is stationary, the DTCO will write the data up to midnight onto the card and automatically eject it.

Meanwhile, Stoneridge VUs will stop recording to the driver card when the card is first ejected after expiry, or at midnight after card expiry. At this stage, it is not known if the VU will display a warning. As we go to press, tests are being undertaken to confirm. Stoneridge says advice will be issued when confirmation is received.

Ideally stop just before midnight, wait until the card is ejected, insert new card, do a manual entry for any time between midnight and when you insert the card, crack on.

Thanks for all the help lads.