DCPC / Trade Plates

any body give me any info on the DCPC and driving on trade plates.?

mate has got a spray painting business and he only ever delivers or collect vehicle that he is has worked on …

question is does he need to sit his DCPC if he wants to continue to collect or deliver said …■■?

dcpc is for drivers working for hire and reward, to the best of my knowledge trade plates are exempt as they can only be used to deliver a vehicle on and you are not allowed to undertake any other work with trade plates on :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007 … ion/3/made

(c)which is undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or that is a new or rebuilt vehicle which has not yet been put into service;

My understanding is that being on trade plates with a vehicle that is in service but is just getting repainted would not be exempt BUT … I would call the DSA DCPC hotline on 0191 201 8112 to get a definitive

Your mate is not driving “professionally”, he is simply delivering new or refurbished vehicles to his own customer.

A trade licence does not allow goods or passengers to be carried, it is simply a metal tax disc

Wheel Nut:
Your mate is not driving “professionally”, he is simply delivering new or refurbished vehicles to his own customer.

A trade licence does not allow goods or passengers to be carried, it is simply a metal tax disc

thats my way of looking at it, you are not even suppose to park a vehicle on trade plates, my mate owns a garage and got done for parking a vehicle outside his home one night, left the trade plates in the window, nearly ended up loosing the plates for incorrect use, but just managed to get away with it as i was his first offence :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Would he not get away with being an incidental driver, as long as he did not make a charge for collection and delivery (well not an obvious one !) ■■

And would it also depend if the vehcile had been 1st registered, as i dont think it applys to un registered vehciles?

If the mate of the OP is taking/bringing road ready LGVs for painting then that IS driving commercially because it is part of a commercial business

Being commercial the exemptions must now be looked into to see if it fits one - I cannot see one that does fit but thats my personal view

If its a new unregistered LGV that would be different IMO

cheers for the interesting reply s folks …

will pass the comments on… !!