Daily miles?

Anyone know what the average daily millage a driver is doing working for currie-european? They pay by the mile/ is it worth it??

you’d be mad going for a job that pays by the mile in the UK.

Yep, crazy idea in Europe, with speed limiters, you’ll earn pennies unless they are paying a very high rate a mile/km.

Yep, crazy idea in Europe, with speed limiters, you’ll earn pennies unless they are paying a very high rate a mile/km.

We used to be paid partly by mileage when i first started on the car transporters, though there was bonus for cars too.
As i recall it was 25 miles to the hour.

Assume anywhere between 1000 and 1500 miles per full week, once you know the hourly rate, you have a rough idea.

Cheers lads, looks hard to make anything getting paid by the mile then!

Don’t think I’d fancy that, it would stress me out when waiting.
Which you do a lot of it seems in this game…

On a paid by the mile gig I think one of my first question would be what are the arrangements in the case of breakdown/six-hour tip/shunting trailers for loading locally before too much else. It may work out all right if you get given a trip to Plymouth with a reload around the corner and then back to Scotland, but the most important thing to remember is that such pay schemes are seldom used to benefit the driver.

thought that was illegal in europe theese days i drive canada/usa and trust me dooooont do it :smiling_imp:

Olog Hai:
On a paid by the mile gig I think one of my first question would be what are the arrangements in the case of breakdown/six-hour tip/shunting trailers for loading locally before too much else. It may work out all right if you get given a trip to Plymouth with a reload around the corner and then back to Scotland, but the most important thing to remember is that such pay schemes are seldom used to benefit the driver.

And then the company blue eyed boy will get that run, I’d say got to be mad to work for a company like that unless there’s lots of other little add ons .

Paid by the mile? No ta very much took me over 2 hours to get from halifax to crossgates Leeds yesterday bad enough paid by the hour let alone by the mile.
Plenty of paid by the hour jobs about

stevejones:
thought that was illegal in europe theese days i drive canada/usa and trust me dooooont do it :smiling_imp:

I’m not 100% on this, but I believe that provided there is a basic wage then its ok, but its something to be looked into very carefully before leaping in. one could get seriously burnt :open_mouth:

Juddian:
We used to be paid partly by mileage when i first started on the car transporters, though there was bonus for cars too.
As i recall it was 25 miles to the hour.

Assume anywhere between 1000 and 1500 miles per full week, once you know the hourly rate, you have a rough idea.

25miles to the hour weren’t to bad a ratio mate. :wink:

I will try not to get too technical!
Article 10 of EC 561/2006 (Drivers hours regs in effect) make Operators automatically liable for infringements committed by its drivers. The same article then gives them an OUT if they comply with a set of conditions. One of those conditions is that Operators in effect can’t pay bonuses / monies that a are linked to distances travelled / loads carried if it’s likely to encourage the driver to break the rules.
So paying by the mile/km is not illegal per se but it could well prevent an Operator from making use of the Art 10 exemption.

Maigret:
Article 10 of EC 561/2006 (Drivers hours regs in effect) make Operators automatically liable for infringements committed by its drivers. The same article then gives them an OUT if they comply with a set of conditions. One of those conditions is that Operators in effect can’t pay bonuses / monies that a are linked to distances travelled / loads carried if it’s likely to encourage the driver to break the rules.
So paying by the mile/km is not illegal per se but it could well prevent an Operator from making use of the Art 10 exemption.

You’re only bang on the money. I’m suprised there has never been a prosecution of an employer through this. Almost beggars belief. I don’t think there’s ever been one.

there was a joke for many years around Dumfries area …whats the difference between curries wages and a bag o spuds…you could live on a bag o spuds!! on speaking tae friends in the know on nights its 450gbp basic for 45 hrs and 10pound hr OT and days were 460ish basic for 52hrs 9pound hr OT…Mon-frid one week …mon -sat next week .

info came from speaking tae an auld friend back in Dumfries area.

Mike-C:

Maigret:

You’re only bang on the money. I’m suprised there has never been a prosecution of an employer through this. Almost beggars belief. I don’t think there’s ever been one.

Incredibly, very few Operators are even aware of Article 10 never mind it’s contents. More worryingly, failing to adhere to the conditions of Art 10 is handing over gilt edged evidence if there was to be a fatality - for the purpose of a Prosecution under Corporate Manslaughter or Gross negligent manslaughter and worse still The Proceeds of Crime Act. But don’t get me started on how the DVSA implement POCA!!!

JIMBO47:
there was a joke for many years around Dumfries area …whats the difference between curries wages and a bag o spuds…you could live on a bag o spuds!! on speaking tae friends in the know on nights its 450gbp basic for 45 hrs and 10pound hr OT and days were 460ish basic for 52hrs 9pound hr OT…Mon-frid one week …mon -sat next week .

info came from speaking tae an auld friend back in Dumfries area.

That O/T rate is exactly the same as 45hr rate. So NO O/T enhancement then!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

I always believed it was illegal to offer a pay structure, that encouraged drivers to speed…so in my opinion to speed will increase the daily mileage, and therefore not fit for purpose and illegal in my mind, however now we have been enlightened as to what the pay structure actually is, it seems a basic is paid plus a bonus ( which could be tied into the mileage done. The basic wage doesnt look too clever, but with a bonus could lead to a decent take home…just saying.

Its the OP not asking to go on as an od as pay is usually paid by the mile /km