D - Day veteran defies care home orders not to travel to Nor

Bloody good luck to him.
theargus.co.uk/news/11262640 … _Day_trip/

You can’t keep an old soldier down. Good for him. :smiley:

fair play to the old boy-good on him.shame he probably had to pay for it himself-shouldnt the taxpayer fund trips like this for veterans?

Sir, I salute you.

andrew.s:
fair play to the old boy-good on him.shame he probably had to pay for it himself-shouldnt the taxpayer fund trips like this for veterans?

Interesting point. I wouldn’t object to my taxes being spent this way.

I watched a fair bit of the news coverage today,
kept getting something in me eye.

Bless em.

I would have gladly paid for him I watched some of it yesderday afternoon and im not ashamed to say I cried with pried wat we owe these wonderfull brave men womon of all the different forces who went through hell for us to have a free life I personally thank each and everone of you regards Rowland ward

He wasn’t ordered not to travel at all .they had tried to get him on a R B L organised trip which they couldn’t arrange due to the lateness of his decision. That said…

I feel that the Gov waste so much money that for the cost they should put on fully organised trips with accommodation for the Vets.
I am sure that the services would only be too proud to accommodate with transport, medical and other requirements.

I for one feel that the disbanding of the Normandy Veterans Association is a shame but also think that they that can return will.
I wouldn’t be worried about chipping in for some Vet to return to salute his fallen comrade, missing but never forgotten.

Did anybody see the 89yr old ex Para doing a jump at Ranville, a special breed those guys. I have met a few veterans when I was at Normandy a few years back and I felt honoured and priviliged to do so.
We were on a coach visiting Pegasus bridge, the guide was giving his spiel and an old guy at the back just stood quiet, we later found out he was on one of the gliders that attacked the bridge, and had photos to prove it.