Cutty Sark No More :(

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

Bummer

Saw it on breakfast tv news, fire brigade say that the cause of fire is suspicious.

Sockpuppet:
BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Blaze ravages historic Cutty Sark

Bummer

AGREED what a bl@@dy shame. If it proves to be suspicious, I hope a court make(s) an example of the culprit(s)

Got to agree this really peeded me off when I heard it on the news this morning.Always was a fan (if that’s the right description) of the old square riggers and the men who sailed them.

Well isnt the Cutty Sark (technically) still in a Naval Dockyard for which Arson in the Naval Dockyard is still a capital offence!

Sockpuppet:
Well isnt the Cutty Sark (technically) still in a Naval Dockyard for which Arson in the Naval Dockyard is still a capital offence!

Then hang 'em from the yard-arm :exclamation:

Heard it on the news myself. The cutty Sark has a special place in my heart as it was originally restored in my home town of Falmouth. Where it was initially displayed in the 1920s

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

As it was a tea clipper I just want to say I was nowhere near Greenwich at around 05:00 on Monday. Matches? What matches? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

As it was a tea clipper I just want to say I was nowhere near Greenwich at around 05:00 on Monday. Matches? What matches? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It didn’t do much work on the tea run built too late by that time the steamers put the clippers out of business because they could get through the Suez canal and the clippers couldn’t. the canal was opened the same year as the Cutty Sark was built. She then spent ten years on the wool run from Australia.
She set record after record for speed on this run.

I don’t know much about the ship, I was just going by what they kept referring to it as on the news reports.

Just thought what you posted was funny and stuck a bit of info in for good measure

I was happy for the info, as I said I didn’t know much about it and made the mistake of believing what the news reports said.

I worked down there a bit with the restoration project for the Millenium through thhe Sail Training Association before going off on one of the last voyages of the Sir Winston Churchill

Its a great shame for the ship and the Cutty Sark trust although they will rebuild it and it will be back as a major tourist attraction.

Its a bit like Triggers Brush though, Its had a few new heads and a few new shafts in its time :stuck_out_tongue: