Cscs card

Hi
Just a quick question do I need a cscs card to deliver to building sites ? I used to deliver to them a few years ago but was not sure if the rules had changed, thanks in advance

No

Not at most, but we are getting asked for a lot these days. I have had one since they first came out as I use to drive plant.

I’ve turned up to sites before and been asked to show my licence , cscs card & hiab certs

I’ve turned up to sites before and been asked to show my licence , cscs card & hiab certs

I have had to retake the test as i was a bricklayer before getting my class 2,My cscs construction skills card dosnt cover me do drive a sweeper so i have had to do another test and have now got another card for a sweeper and gully operative but i have had to show it and on some sites have to have an hour long induction,But ask the company to put you through it its only one test and not that expensive…

Not if your not going to tip yourself.

Is this what used to be called the CITB “ticket”? I had one of those, plus the EPIC card for quarry plant and now tipper/mixers. I don’t see why you need a ticket for driving lorries, is the license not enough ffs?

Muckaway:
I don’t see why you need a ticket for driving lorries, is the license not enough ffs?

Nope, that’s why were getting the fantastic dcpc, all in all I will then have 5 cards to show my professional capability, none of which will help improve wages …just more ways to look at fineing you for things & pointing the finger of blame …

Hi

I think this is a mirky subject, so I thought I would E-mail those in charge HSE this was there answer-

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 1 February 2012 09:57:16 GMT
To: dshemmings@me.com
Subject: RE: Cscs card

David

There is no legal requirement for a CSCS card on sites, as long as you
are trained and competent in the unloading of your lorry and use of the
mounted crane there would be no need to have a CSCS card.

Kind Regards
Laura Wilson

Business Support | FMU 79 Support
Health & Safety Executive Nottingham

Hope this clears this up.

dkdavid1102:
Hi

I think this is a mirky subject, so I thought I would E-mail those in charge HSE this was there answer-

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 1 February 2012 09:57:16 GMT
To: dshemmings@me.com
Subject: RE: Cscs card

David

There is no legal requirement for a CSCS card on sites, as long as you
are trained and competent in the unloading of your lorry and use of the
mounted crane there would be no need to have a CSCS card.

Kind Regards
Laura Wilson

Business Support | FMU 79 Support
Health & Safety Executive Nottingham

Hope this clears this up.

David,
The HSE department are correct, but they are only stating the fact and not actually going into the ‘mirky subject’ in enough detail.

For example, A construction company (Lets say Barratts homes) will put out a tendor for materials, sand/bricks/cement etc etc and will give the contract to whoever meets Barratts wishes which would include many things including things like costs and its H&S reputation and standards. So if Barratts insist that anyone entering their site must have a CSCS card then a tipper company who does not have drivers with said cards wont get the contract.
This is becauses more and more of todays ‘method statments’ insist on having individuals competancies being proven by a particular accreditor (by just having a C+E licence does not prove to the individual who is ultimately responsible for everyones safety on the construction site that you are competent to operate a tipper in a safe manner on a construction site that has multiple hazards and risks and that they may be alien to someone who has never set foot on a construction site)

So the HSE department are correct in that there is no legal requirement for one but if the company or individual who is responsible for the H&S for that site and all those who enter it deem it a reuirement as per their risk assesment then it becomes an issue if you dont have one…

Like you said buddy its a mirky subject…

I have delivered to large building sites through out London and the south east for nearly 5 years and have managed to get away wihtout having a cscs card, if you are merely delivering then you will be fine.
I have just recently got the CSCS regular vistor card, which only involved taking a multiguess Health and Safety test, and 3 months later i still haven’t been asked to see it. :confused:

It you are suing a Hi-ab or any other plant they get very picky

Owen

Talking of “cards”, did anyone deliver to T5 at Heathrow when it was being built? My employer (previous TM) bowed down to their demands of knowing our names and addresses, driving license number and qualifications, even our GPs address and told them of any health problems and sick leave ffs. None of us gave our permission for any of this, and it caused such ill-feeling none of us gave a ■■■■ when our long serving TM was “retired” a short time afterwards.

Yes and no.
Also took some stuff for the olympics which was a little more stringent and god help you going airside at heathrow.

i’ve never been asked for it, not even at the london time bomb, the olympics.

I worked at various sites last summer, (multiple) Balfour beatty ,(multiple) Morgan sindall , (multiple) ETM , Galliford try and East coast construction, non of these places asked for a CSCS card, only Morgan sindall asked for HIAB testing certs .