Cpc

I want to gain my cat d licence. Will my cpc count for both c+e and cat d. Plus will I automatically d1+e as I have c+e?

Kit:
I want to gain my cat d licence. Will my cpc count for both c+e and cat d. Plus will I automatically d1+e as I have c+e?

Hi Kit!

I ain’t no expert (ask anyone! :smiley: ) but I do believe your DCPC will count AND your D1 will be upgraded to D1+E after passing your Cat D.

Good Luck with it anyway! :sunglasses:

Kit:
Plus will I automatically d1+e as I have c+e?

Yes, should do automatically but the DVLA sometimes overlook it.

How much different is the cat d test to cat c? As I am going to ask if I can have a shortened course as I have done both cat c and cat c+e in the last two months so I know all the test routes for my area. So doing cat d while I am still on learner mode of driving!

Kit:

by Kit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:11 pm
I passed my c 4 weeks ago. Passed my initial cpc Wednesday

If you were to go for D then this is what you will have to do -
module 1a - PCV theory test
module 1b - HPT (yes, I know you just did exactly the same but it has to be done again)
module 2 - initial dcpc PCV theory
module 3 - on road practical driving/reverse test
module 4 - initial dcpc PCV practical test

Any of the 35 hours periodic dcpc training you have done or will do counts for both LGV & PCV

===========================================================================
DQC driver cpc card
You should already have a DQC expiry dated around 23/11/2016 for LGV
Passing all 4 PCV modules on say 15/01/2012 will get you a new DQC expiry dated 23/11/2016 LGV & 14/01/2017 PCV
Completing all 35 hours of periodic dcpc training at any time before 23/11/2016 will get you another new DQC expiry dated 14/01/22 for both LGV & PCV - no more periodic training will then count until 15/01/2017

Passing D auto or manual will give you all these as manuals as you already have C+E manual -
D1
D1+E
D
D+E

Kit:
How much different is the cat d test to cat c? As I am going to ask if I can have a shortened course as I have done both cat c and cat c+e in the last two months so I know all the test routes for my area. So doing cat d while I am still on learner mode of driving!

I like you’re thinking there Kit, and totally agree with you that if you want Cat D entitlement, now really is the best time for you to get it as everything is still fresh in your mind, and like you say, you know all the test routes at the moment.

I done my Cat D back in 2005 after getting my Cat C the year before, and I must say that I found the examiners to be a lot more critical than when you’re in an LGV. I passed my LGV C first time and although I really thought I had driven round just as good (if not better) on my PCV test, I still failed! In fact, the same happened on my second PCV attempt. Again, I thought I had gone round perfect and yet again I failed. I ended up passing on the third attempt! :sunglasses:

Good Luck with it!

Provided the training vehicle is up to scratch and drives as it should (trust me, not many do) you should need no more than 8 hours training. The test is identical to Cat C with the addition of bus stop proceedure ie stopping and pulling away from bus stops. Naturally you will need to know your way around the vehicle for the show me/tell me questions. The majority of training vehicles are 12 metres in length and the front axle is way behind the driver. So the steering technique is different to a truck.

Don’t book anything until you’ve driven the vehicle. As mentioned, the majority of training coaches are well past their sell by date. They can be arkward to change gear accurately (mid engine/gearbox = 20 feet of gear linkage which is rarely properly maintained). It’s also common to have worn out swichgear (indicators that wont stay on etc).

As with trucks, they are not all the same. You will destroy the chances of passsing if you end up with a knackered vehicle.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The training school I use keeps there vehicles in top shape oldest vehicle is 2000 which is very good compared to the other schools in the area!

Fine - but drive it before you book. Pete :laughing: :laughing: