CPC Right or Wrong?

it’s a load of crap. i will never do it.
i’ll drive until i get caught, then go to court, then get caught again.
i can’t understand people that complain about the cpc, then go ahead an do the course.

I’ve voted “needs work” because it does. (ANYONE GOT A TIN HAT I CAN BORROW)

I’m of the opinion that there needs to be some form of refresher training for drivers and their supervisors & managers, I’ve lost count of the arguments I’ve won at work over drivers hours (and I’m no guru) even against one of our assessors, and some drivers still need showing how to use straps, I’m sure pump trucks shouldn’t be stowed poking through the headboard! Continuous professional development is required in many sectors, why shouldn’t driving be one of them?
BUT
The present form is far from ideal, I have no idea how to fix it, but it does need to be structured in such a way so that it is relevant for the individual driver & company they work for and delivered by registered and competent providers, not Joe who used to sell burglar alarms who knows how to use powerpoint.
Larger companies have the chance to take this by the balls and fashion the training to suit their needs, but many, like mine, are burying their heads in the sand and hoping it’ll go away and/or outsource the training so it’s somebody else’s problem. Come early 2014 (2013 for PCV) there’s going to be panic and I already know two instructors that’ll be charging over £200 per head.

For me personally I’ve had one session paid for by the company (drivers hours) and it was well presented, I couldn’t pick him up on anything :smiling_imp: , but I’m one of the ‘lucky’ 4 drivers within our group (300 I believe in total) to have had some training. I’m booking another 3 sessions shortly (2 free with my C+E @ Viamaster in Leeds) and maybe one later this or early next year. Call me what you will but come 2014 I aint going to be running around like the proverbial chicken worrying about my license and where Septembers mortgage payment is going to come from.

waynedl:

Conor:
If the DCPC wasn’t needed there wouldn’t be the questions asked by the time served on here.

If people ask what they need to know, then they don’t need the dCPC, it’s the ones that don’t ask that are the problem.

Also, do you remember EVERYTHING you’ve ever been told / taught? Or do you ask now and then just to refresh your memory?

I’ve done the ADR, not used it yet, will probably have questions to ask if I ever get a job using it.

Also, just because you’ve sat in a room for 7hrs a day (which may or may not even include drivers hours don’t forget), doesn’t mean you’ll know any more than you did when you entered.

Very good answer. Of course the problem is that a lot of people don’t like to ask. Training means you don’t need to ask because someone is going to tell you what you need to know. of course you may already know it - but as you said we all forget or get the wrong idea on occasion. or of course you may not listen and the training is wasted.

The idea of the DCPC is to introduce a standard whereby employers and the authorities know a driver has undergone some formal training (needed or not). there isn’t an exam or test - but is that really a problem?

Lets use ADR as an example seeing as you brought it up. I have met more drivers who ‘cheated’ during the exams (where the instructor went around the class suggesting they tick a different box) than I have met that passed fair and square. Having passed my ADR including tankers with our very own Diesel Dave I know for sure he doesn’t cheat. If you pass at the end of his course it is because you had the knowledge that he passed onto you. This shows me that the testing/exam at the end of an ADR course is on occasion a waste of time as it proves nothing yet nobody seems to be against ADR?

As someone has already posted. if you don’t want to complete the DCPC then don’t. I am sure initial enforcement will be steady and work on the principal of education rather than discipline. Those caught without the DCPC card will be given the chance to obtain it - or change careers. The ones that won’t be given a second chance will be the Operators - they have much to lose including their operators licence.

It doesn’t matter what anyone says on here. The haters will be haters and the likers will be likers. It isn’t going to go away so we either get on with it or don’t.

MADBAZ:
I’m of the opinion that there needs to be some form of refresher training for drivers and their supervisors & managers, I’ve lost count of the arguments I’ve won at work over drivers hours (and I’m no guru) even against one of our assessors, and some drivers still need showing how to use straps, I’m sure pump trucks shouldn’t be stowed poking through the headboard! Continuous professional development is required in many sectors, why shouldn’t driving be one of them?

Couldn’t agree more

MADBAZ:
The present form is far from ideal, I have no idea how to fix it, but it does need to be structured in such a way so that it is relevant for the individual driver & company they work for and delivered by registered and competent providers, not Joe who used to sell burglar alarms who knows how to use powerpoint.

It’s all about sourcing a booking the right course for you. Would you book a drivers hours course if you already know it all?

Although ‘Joe’ could happen I don’t think it really does. Gaining JAUPT approval isn’t particularly difficult but does require some form of proof of knowledge and ability - although that can be cheated. Getting through unnanounced audits is a different matter. In the 2 1/2 years I have been delivering DCPC I have been audited a total of 4 times - not a lot but a step in the right direction. Joe will eventually get caught out.

Plus of course - if the training is that bad won’t the attendees complain afterwards?

MADBAZ:
Larger companies have the chance to take this by the balls and fashion the training to suit their needs, but many, like mine, are burying their heads in the sand and hoping it’ll go away and/or outsource the training so it’s somebody else’s problem. Come early 2014 (2013 for PCV) there’s going to be panic and I already know two instructors that’ll be charging over £200 per head.

I offer bespoke DCPC training for companies. i will develop a course for whatever they need. get it JAUPT approved, find the right trainers etc etc. very few companies take me up on my kind offer :wink: Most just want to book on any course as long as it’s cheap.

£200 a head … dream on. it’ll never happen. personally I don’t think prices will rise by much. They started off silly - soon dropped to what I think is sensible (about £50 for a 7 hour course). Most courses just don’t justify more than that. Saying that next Wednesday and Tuesday I am delivering DCPC training at a company premises for just 2 drivers (that’s all they have). it’s what they wanted and it’s costing the company a silly rate but the drivers will get almost one-to-one tuition (trust me they need it seeing as they got caught driving their 7 1/2 tonner with NO tacho in use - didn’t know they needed one for a small truck :open_mouth: )

Did they not wonder why it had one? Do they have an operators license? Crazy.

@ shep,
How can it try and bring a standard in when there is no standard course, I could sit the same 7 hours course 5 years on the trot and stool have my driver card and drive comercially for the next 5 years, meanwhile I can sit in the same classroom sitting the same course for the next 5 years and pay for the privelledge

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?gw0eht
It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.
Paaaaarrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy

Eckyboy:
Did they not wonder why it had one? Do they have an operators license? Crazy.

Restricted Ops licence - no transport manager needed. The guy that “Used to do the transport” left and one of the factory managers got the job.

Two lds from the warehouse with the ‘old style’ C1 licence share driving the wagon … they have never ever been trained or even shown anything at all to do with tacho’s etc. They got the C1 with their car licence.

They’ve been operating like this for over a year :open_mouth:

They’ll be all sorted shortly :wink:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
@ shep,
How can it try and bring a standard in when there is no standard course, I could sit the same 7 hours course 5 years on the trot and stool have my driver card and drive comercially for the next 5 years, meanwhile I can sit in the same classroom sitting the same course for the next 5 years and pay for the privelledge

Yep - like I said I don’t particularly like the rules. But it is only a starting point and the whole scheme will change over time.

But could i ask - why would YOU sit the same course 5 times? if you’re paying surely you want something more than that for your money? if the company is paying surely they want something more than that for their money.

If a driver comes to me and books the same course 5 times - whose fault is that?

PS - I don’ think there is much harm in some courses being annual. This allows for changes in regulations etc and I reckon they will make some courses compulsory within a timescale within the 5 years

shep532:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
@ shep,

Yep - like I said I don’t particularly like the rules. But it is only a starting point and the whole scheme will change over time.

But could i ask - why would YOU sit the same course 5 times? if you’re paying surely you want something more than that for your money? if the company is paying surely they want something more than that for their money.

If a driver comes to me and books the same course 5 times - whose fault is that?

what I’m pointing out is the fact that you can sit the same course 5 times and you still get your dcpc, that is the biggest flaw.
Isn’t funny that a trainer is promoting this money making scam.
What could a trainer or professional ■■■■■■■■■■■ as I like to call them teach me.
I’m up to date with hours laws, I know how to load a vehicle correctly and secure it.

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?qlokoc
It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.

shep532:

waynedl:

Conor:
If the DCPC wasn’t needed there wouldn’t be the questions asked by the time served on here.

If people ask what they need to know, then they don’t need the dCPC, it’s the ones that don’t ask that are the problem.

Also, do you remember EVERYTHING you’ve ever been told / taught? Or do you ask now and then just to refresh your memory?

I’ve done the ADR, not used it yet, will probably have questions to ask if I ever get a job using it.

Also, just because you’ve sat in a room for 7hrs a day (which may or may not even include drivers hours don’t forget), doesn’t mean you’ll know any more than you did when you entered.

Very good answer. Of course the problem is that a lot of people don’t like to ask. Training means you don’t need to ask because someone is going to tell you what you need to know. of course you may already know it - but as you said we all forget or get the wrong idea on occasion. or of course you may not listen and the training is wasted.

The idea of the DCPC is to introduce a standard whereby employers and the authorities know a driver has undergone some formal training (needed or not). there isn’t an exam or test - but is that really a problem?

Lets use ADR as an example seeing as you brought it up. I have met more drivers who ‘cheated’ during the exams (where the instructor went around the class suggesting they tick a different box) than I have met that passed fair and square. Having passed my ADR including tankers with our very own Diesel Dave I know for sure he doesn’t cheat. If you pass at the end of his course it is because you had the knowledge that he passed onto you. This shows me that the testing/exam at the end of an ADR course is on occasion a waste of time as it proves nothing yet nobody seems to be against ADR?

As someone has already posted. if you don’t want to complete the DCPC then don’t. I am sure initial enforcement will be steady and work on the principal of education rather than discipline. Those caught without the DCPC card will be given the chance to obtain it - or change careers. The ones that won’t be given a second chance will be the Operators - they have much to lose including their operators licence.

It doesn’t matter what anyone says on here. The haters will be haters and the likers will be likers. It isn’t going to go away so we either get on with it or don’t.

I also did mine with Diesel Dave, so I know that I knew enough correct answers in the test to pass, doesn’t mean I know everything about ADR though, and even what I knew then, I may not know now or when I need it, hence I’ll probably have questions to ask at the time.

No good teaching someone 35hrs of ■■■■■■■■ now, expecting them to know every minute of it in 5yrs time, people know what’s relevent to them at the time.

I think the dCPC is about putting more responsibility on drivers when things go wrong - you should’ve known better type…

MADBAZ:
Larger companies have the chance to take this by the balls and fashion the training to suit their needs, but many, like mine, are burying their heads in the sand and hoping it’ll go away and/or outsource the training so it’s somebody else’s problem.

I’d be very suprised if ANY of them are 100% compliant with existing legislation never mind any DCPC stuff. Almost without exeption employers only find out they’re failing when something goes wrong.

waynedl:
I think the dCPC is about putting more responsibility on drivers when things go wrong - you should’ve known better type…

In one of VOSA’s publications for GFP’s it say something along the lines of: a first time offender of various offenses can ‘get off’ with a warning BUT not if he is a DCPC holder.

It’s all wrong from the start, they should have looked at other countries and do it proper.

I don’t believe sitting 7 hours in a classroom with the same boring stuff every time, but a decent study with an exam at the end would be a great thing for many drivers
For some of them you would be able to spend a day on personal hygiene and decent behaviour :unamused: :unamused:

I have done my Dutch chauffeurs diploma (without you cannot drive anything above 7.5 ton) and always believed it was well worth the money (in excess of 1200 pound) and the time (new drivers can do it when they are 17 in a year on day school) we got it that time in 3 weeks being on boarding school.
But it was sponsored by all the transport companies together in the same way Code 95 is sponsored.

So YES if done well
NO if they are wasting people’s time, but it being a EU directive, iwe have to bite the bullet.

It would have been much easier to follow the model of FOCA and FIMO or the Dutch Diploma then to try to write something new and as wishy washy as the JAUPT scheme.

I have been following a discussion about DCPC trainers and apart from them arguing amongst themselves over price, nothing much of value has been said over the last 4 months.

Mike-C:

MADBAZ:
Larger companies have the chance to take this by the balls and fashion the training to suit their needs, but many, like mine, are burying their heads in the sand and hoping it’ll go away and/or outsource the training so it’s somebody else’s problem.

I’d be very suprised if ANY of them are 100% compliant with existing legislation never mind any DCPC stuff. Almost without exeption employers only find out they’re failing when something goes wrong.

Agreed Mike, many company policies have come into force at our co because of discrepancies at roadside checks, and some based on poor advice they’ve received in order to rectify. I’m, as many know, new to trucking, but I’ve had the foresight to cram as much knowledge as possible which has come very useful, when our branch got them new fangled digital tacho thingys, you’d have thought there would’ve been systems in place to train the drivers to use them. As it happened there wasn’t (surprise surprise) it was down to myself (an agency driver at the time) and another driver to pass on what we knew. There was someone from head office that popped in some 3 months after we received our digital fleet, he got some serious stick over the mmtm bollox he spouted.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
what I’m pointing out is the fact that you can sit the same course 5 times and you still get your dcpc, that is the biggest flaw.
What could a trainer or professional ■■■■■■■■■■■ as I like to call them teach me.
I’m up to date with hours laws, I know how to load a vehicle correctly and secure it.

I am not promoting the fact you can repeat courses. I already said I don’t agree with the rules as they are. I believe courses should be repeated within a certain timescale. As an example a First Aid certificate is valid for 3 years, but the HSE recommend a 12 monthly refresher. If nothing goes wrong and the first aider doesn’t take the 12 monthly refreshers - no problem. if something does go wrong and the refreshers weren’t done … the employer has a problem.

I think DCPC courses should have a ‘valid for’ timescale. i.e Drivers Hours 24 months. and that couse can’t be repeated in that timescale. Bit like ADR. This would of course make it very hard to find the course you need next when you need it.

As for a money making scam? A driver comes to me at the end of a course and asks to book again. I advise that although repeating courses is allowed I wouldn’t recommend it. he says “It’s OK I WANT to do it again”. So lets say I say “No”. next thing I’m being slagged off for not knowing the rules about repeating courses. etc

It is also no more money making than that driver coming back a booking a DIFFERENT course. I still get the same money no matter what the course.

By the sounds of things I (or any other trainer) couldn’t teach you anything, so don’t do the DCPC.

Pete

I have sat four modules so far in Ireland. Cost is approximately 60 euros for the seven hours. The worst thing is the boredom…the best thing is the nice dinner at the nice hotel. Didn’t really learn anything,paid for it myself,but got to do each module on Saturdays,so not too much loss of earning time. In Ireland,you must complete different modules each time. A repitition of the same module,within the limited time frame is not counted as training.

We were told at the last module that our French colleagues are totally boycotting this DCPC directive…Has anyone else heard this?

shep532:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

I am not promoting the fact you can repeat courses. I already said I don’t agree with the rules as they are. I believe courses should be repeated within a certain timescale. As an example a First Aid certificate is valid for 3 years, but the HSE recommend a 12 monthly refresher. If nothing goes wrong and the first aider doesn’t take the 12 monthly refreshers - no problem. if something does go wrong and the refreshers weren’t done … the employer has a problem.

I think DCPC courses should have a ‘valid for’ timescale. i.e Drivers Hours 24 months. and that couse can’t be repeated in that timescale. Bit like ADR. This would of course make it very hard to find the course you need next when you need it.

As for a money making scam? A driver comes to me at the end of a course and asks to book again. I advise that although repeating courses is allowed I wouldn’t recommend it. he says “It’s OK I WANT to do it again”. So lets say I say “No”. next thing I’m being slagged off for not knowing the rules about repeating courses. etc

It is also no more money making than that driver coming back a booking a DIFFERENT course. I still get the same money no matter what the course.

By the sounds of things I (or any other trainer) couldn’t teach you anything, so don’t do the DCPC.

Pete

But the current driving hours haven’t changed in over 5yrs, so why resit them every 2yrs?

Reminds me of CBT for motorbikes, CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training, basically teaches you how to take a bike off it’s stand, how to manouver a bike, and how to use clutch, brakes etc.
Then you ride around a few cones, then do a road ride.
All sounds good, except it only lasts 2yrs.
So, after 2yrs of using the bike, you’re suddenly going to forget how to use the side stand or the brakes■■?

MONEY MAKING SCHEME!!

shep532:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Pete

If there was an exam after the course that gave you a real qualification such as the Dutch drivers diploma, then after passing said exam the pay reflected the fact you were more qualified, the I would be happy to take the DCPC.
But as it stands, we need to pay for this pretend qualification, but at the end if it there is no benefit whatsoever for the driver, no wage increase, no improvements in conditions, the only thing it does is makes us more liable for things that are mostly beyond our control.
Driving as always been a job that doesn’t need a lot if qualifications, that is reflected in the pay that is offered to drivers. A lot of jobs these days are paying not much more than the minimum wage, but now the transport authorities want driving to be a graduate level job.
What could a trainer teach me?
Not a lot!
That is not bragging but fact, 25 years experience, managing not to have any problems with VOSA or the police, why because I can read, so can keep up with all changes in drivers hours rules,I know how to do my walk round checks.
Din’t get me wrong, I have been on training courses, SAFED, kinetic handling, CPC freight national, customer care courses, Moffat mounty, a weeks training on the use of powder tanks, amongst others. But all these courses have never benefitted me financially, still the same pay for being better qualified.
Your right though, I will not be taking the DCPC, not to put money into the pickets of the training companies or the coffers of the treasury, so they can make me an easier target to fine for the slightest problem with the truck or drivers hours,
Stuart

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?od3eu1
It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.

waynedl:
Reminds me of CBT for motorbikes, CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training, basically teaches you how to take a bike off it’s stand, how to manouver a bike, and how to use clutch, brakes etc.
Then you ride around a few cones, then do a road ride.
All sounds good, except it only lasts 2yrs.
So, after 2yrs of using the bike, you’re suddenly going to forget how to use the side stand or the brakes■■?

MONEY MAKING SCHEME!!

But the whole point of CBT, is to stop you riding on L plates forever. Once you pass your full bike test you don’t need another CBT ever.

If you don’t pass full test within two years, you cannot re-take CBT for 12 months, effectively banning you from riding.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2