CPC clinical waste

Ive seen a job advertised , for collection of clinical waste, are there any special requirments i would need to apply for this post ,i only ask as the vacancy mentions CPC for clinical waste

“We are looking for a Driver with a valid CPC Licence to collect clinical waste”

if so what cpc would i need ?

I’ll,wait to be corrected but I think clinical waste is carried under ADR class 6.2 - on that basis, you’d need an ADR licence.

AFAIK CPC is CPC, no different types - if you’ve got a C1, C, C+E or D category on your licence & have either done the initial CPC qualification (modules 2 & 4) OR you’ve done 35 hours periodic training, you will have received a DQC with in the vast majority of cases, 5 years validity.

ABB.

passed “C” TODAY, and already have the 35 hours CPC, i will look into it some more, just soundslike i need a certain type of CPC the way they have worded the vacancy . thanks for reply.

thanks for info , made me a lot wiser.

"Driver training
For carriage in bulk the driver has to be ADR trained at least for class 6.2 in the “other than tanks” column of the certificate. There is no “small load” exemption for bulk carriage.

General training under ADR 1.3 is also required"

Clinical waste could require ADR. UN class 6.2 - infectious substances (toxic B) is for clinical waste (or some of it anyway, I think) could be wrong though!

TROTSKY3:
thanks for info , made me a lot wiser.

"Driver training
For carriage in bulk the driver has to be ADR trained at least for class 6.2 in the “other than tanks” column of the certificate. There is no “small load” exemption for bulk carriage.

Hi TROTSKY3,

Most clinical waste companies have a DGSA, so I’m assuming that they know what they’re asking for.

The part of your post that I’ve quoted so far is correct, because any amount of any dangerous substance or article carried “in bulk” is always subject to the full extent of applicable ADR Regs.

As far as ADR is concerned, you would need a minimum ADR card showing a figure “6” in the “other than tanks” column on the reverse of the card. This can be obtained by passing (at least) the Core module + the Packages and bulk module + the UN Class 6 module.

However, the stuff we’re discussing can also be carried in packages.

IF it’s carried in packages, then ADR allows 333 kgs/litres of it to be carried without the driver needing an ADR licence.

If a driver carries <333kg of it, then this next part is correct: (Without the “also.”)

TROTSKY3:
General training under ADR 1.3 is … required"

This just needs a little twiddle…

Endgame:
Clinical waste could require ADR. UN class 6.2 - infectious substances (toxic B) is for clinical waste (or some of it anyway, I think) could be wrong though!

Here goes…

Endgame:
Clinical waste could require ADR. UN class 6.2 - infectious substances is for clinical waste (or some of it anyway)

FTFY. :wink:

Thanks Dave!

appreciate the feedback cheers, maybe give that a miss for now

TROTSKY3:
appreciate the feedback cheers, maybe give that a miss for now

Thinking about this a little further, you only need the DCPC if the vehicle is >3.5t, but…

To carry clinical waste, you’ll also need to have some precautionary jabs from the Dr, which isn’t good news for those averse to needles :open_mouth:

A lot of the clinical waste firms run at <3.5t to avoid tachos and ‘O’ licences, which would be a whole lot of extra legal compliance costs for some of them.

ADR doesn’t have an exemption for <3.5t though.

Endgame:
Thanks Dave!

A very minor adjustment. :wink: