Court date for stobart air

Dates have been set for a legal hearing to decide the fate of plans to overhaul Carlisle Airport by the Stobart Group. Carlisle City Council’s decision to allow the development is being taken to court on 18th, 19th and 20th February 2014.
Stobart Group wants to build a 400,000 sq ft freight distribution centre and resurface the runway for passenger flights to London Southend and Dublin.
Carlisle City Council granted planning permission in February 2013 but that decision is being challenged by farmer Gordon Brown, who lives opposite the airport.
Stobart chief executive Andrew Tinkler said the development’s supporters remain keen on the project going ahead.

Its a done deal. Can’t see them wanting to lose that many potential jobs in an area of high unemployment because it upsets a farmer.

Conor:
Its a done deal. Can’t see them wanting to lose that many potential jobs in an area of high unemployment because it upsets a farmer.

+1

This is a prime example of what is wrong with this country. We have far too many ‘stages’ and procedures to go through that block progress.

It’s right that there should be a planning process and there is, if was followed and Stobarts got the planning permission they sought. Permission that would see massive investment in a decaying piece of property in an area with above average unemployment. An area within a country that has a economy that needs just this sort of private investment to get it on the road to recovery.

Thriving economies must be laughing their socks off at the British, we have our financial backs against the wall and still we allow our own red tape to delay and frustrate growth.

But hay, so long as we are seen to be protecting the rights of one farmer that’s alright. One who has doubtless seen the farm run by generations of his own family for decades, without ever having to worry about where their own kids are going to find jobs when they leave school.

Conor:

Exactly. Stobarts have already said if the Airport isn’t allowed, it’s the end of ESL depots and admin in ■■■■■■■■ and the end to a LOT of jobs.

Not sure if the new owners filled suit, but the previous owners of the golden fleece hotel at rulehome, next to the airport, banned the farmer from using the pub as a protest at his protest!

But what about the farmers human rights :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

well a bloke called Gordon Brown helped to stuff the country well and good so why do you think he wont do the same to Carlisle :question:

dew:
Exactly. Stobarts have already said if the Airport isn’t allowed, it’s the end of ESL depots and admin in ■■■■■■■■ and the end to a LOT of jobs.

Sounds like blackmail to me…nice firm… :unamused:

DrivingMissDaisy:

dew:

Why Blackmail? ■■■■■■■ is a bit out on a limb for Tesco transport isn’t it? Daventry and Widnes make much more sense.

I wonder how close Peter Elliott and Gordon Brown are! Apart from living in the same village I mean :-"

think this farmer once objected to plans to extend the run way.

would of ment moving the a689 into a tunnel.
but that was the last owners who had that thought.
was something to do with servicing big jets i recall

DrivingMissDaisy:

dew:

+1,horrible firm,if we don’t get our way we will dump hundreds on the dole, :unamused: :unamused: if the farmers got a petition goingagainst this development I’ll sign it