cool boxes....

any one recommend a decent cool box,12v,seen some at halfords,£70 ish,now that the weather is warming up,supposedly…can they be left on all the time? cheers…

The Halford’s cool boxes are fine, I used to use one myself (got a fridge built into the truck now so just use it for days out in the car now.).

I wouldn’t leave it running all night myself- although if you get one with low-voltage automatic cut-out you should be fine doing that.

Compared to buying cold drinks at MSA prices, you should recoup the outlay within a month or two.

Harry Monk:
The Halford’s cool boxes are fine, I used to use one myself (got a fridge built into the truck now so just use it for days out in the car now.).

I wouldn’t leave it running all night myself- although if you get one with low-voltage automatic cut-out you should be fine doing that.

Compared to buying cold drinks at MSA prices, you should recoup the outlay within a month or two.

95 pence for a can of irn-bru - rip off merchants :confused:

try and buy a 24v one the dearer the better, or just buy a fridge last longer leave on all night no probs,

Keep an eye out in Asda they have some 12v boxies now the summers coming pretty cheap mines still running great for the summer, and you can get a converter to run it off the mains in the house from maplins

As Harry says, the halfords ones are good, used one all last year, mine has a cut off if the battery gets too low think it was about £50 but they had a sale on, its now in the boot of the car seeing as i’m on days.

Lots of quality products much cheaper then halfords if you look about.
I got one last year that runs on mains and 12v socket for 40 quid with my discount card (go outdoors,discount cards are available at all shops)
One example.
gooutdoors.co.uk/camping-equ … ed-coolbox

merc0447:
95 pence for a can of irn-bru - rip off merchants :confused:

Yeah, shocking. 500ml bottles are even worse. About thirty bob a go nowadays.

A can of Coca-Cola works out at less than 30p buying a crate of 24 or whatever is on special offer at a supermarket.

Just four drinks a day totalling £1.20, or £3.80 from the MSA is a saving of £12 on a five-day week

will pay halfords a visit this week,cheers…

Why not check EBAY , I got a 35 litre fridge nearly new with a seperate mains converter for £30 :stuck_out_tongue:

V8 Passion:
try and buy a 24v one the dearer the better, or just buy a fridge last longer leave on all night no probs,

Yeah i’ll second that, look in your local caravan shop

Cool boxes are crap. They are fine for pick-nicks and such. Invest in a proper fridge. If it doesn’t have a compressor it’s rubbish. £350+ is what you should expect to pay, you can leave it running all weekend and still start the truck Monday morning. Anything else is just a toy and as much use as the crap 12/24v kettles UK truck stops sell. ■■■■ useless. They 'ent bad at warming pies though if you put them in 6hrs before you want to eat them though.

I got mine out of go the camping shop for £40. Leave on all night no probs, milk still fresh 6 days later. Fairly quiet so shouldn’t take long to get used to it at night. Mine was a CampingGaz make. Done the job fine :grimacing:

got a beauty from asda for 24 quid, eing using it for months, spot on

Ask your boss to fit one for you - I believe that smaller operators are giving them as an incentive to attract newbie drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i got one from argos £35 & i leave it on all nite + drinks are ice cold :wink:

berewic:
Cool boxes are crap. They are fine for pick-nicks and such. Invest in a proper fridge. If it doesn’t have a compressor it’s rubbish. £350+ is what you should expect to pay, you can leave it running all weekend and still start the truck Monday morning. .

Although you are right that a fridge is better in that it holds a constant temperature, whereas a coolbox simply reduces the outside temperature by a fixed amount (about 16 farenheight IIRC), it is this difference in temperature which makes a drink refreshing and so I would say a coolbox is far from being “rubbish”, just so long as you understand the difference and don’t use it for preserving food. Not everyone wants to lay out £350+…