Commercial driver GPS progs?

Anything like Tom Tom for the commercial driver with audible warnings for weight limits, height limits and that will actually plan you round them if one sets in your dimensions in the properties?

I ask, cos on Thursday good old Tom Tom took me down some apparently suitable roads when viewing the map page on it, but once comitted, nowhere to turn round and ended up on some of the steepest narrowest moor roads I’ve seen in a long while.

Yep, I’m an idiot, should have had my back-up maps to confirm before I set off but hey, 10 hours into day 6, knackered, and angry at being out in the 1st place, and not thinking straight - and showing my inexperience…

But it’d be nice to know anyway if there’s some software that accommodates our needs as drivers of large vehicles.

no there isnt but the roads speeds we are trying to ask tt about try useing the limitied speed option on tt5 ir if useing tt3 thern in the properties menu select the advanced tab them adjust the roads speeds and look at you route before setting off

as for the pois you could dowload the low bridge poi via poi edit then on tt5 set an warning for it an you could do the same with tt3 if you useing checkpoint

as for weight limits everyone in the industry ive spoken to say it cannot be supported as the data is too vaired ie 7.5t except for access no veihcle over 7.5t after 7 pm etc
low bridges build in may be on its way but im still looking

Route 66 has a setting for fastest/lorry or shortest/lorry route. Sorry dont know if it is anygood as my lad has it on his nokia phone with mobile bluetooth gps. I am going to borrow it of him to try it out on the truck setting & head off fo a low bridge or weight limited road “in my car” to see what happens. I am still trying to find some reviews of this setting but to no avail yet.

it will be a cold day in hell before i use one of those things. my maps have (almost) never let me down and allow me to plan in advance

i may show interest once we have a truckers version which has had plenty of good reviews on this very site. until that day, i will have my A - Z parked in the centre of my steering wheel :laughing:

I tend to view these GPS the same way I view auto gear boxes, as just another example of de-skilling.

CM:
I tend to view these GPS the same way I view auto gear boxes, as just another example of de-skilling.

I’d rather look at it as a tool like any other,if its the right tool, used correctly , then it should make the task easier or more efficient.
Maps or GPS you should still be able to dothe job.

CM:

i dont like them either. i like to know exactly what the vehicle is doing. give me a manual if you want me to drive it or i will refuse :smiling_imp:

CM:

I disagree.

I can read a map, plan my way in, happy days, no problems.

I’d just need to spend a nice few extra minutes sussing out the junction I need, best route in, and go by educated guess on the likely width of a road, where looks likely for a store to be, and how best to approach it. And commit as much to memory as possible to avoid looking at the maps again once moving, or the need to stop and re-affirm key points.

or I can use the GPS, put in the address, look at the map for the area local to the drop on the appropriate view to get the lie of the land, view the low bridge points-of-interest overlay to make sure I’m not going to be stuffed by one of those little lovelies, and off I go. I can concentrate on the hazards that present rhemselves better with a lovely voice telling me in advance where I’ll need to turn, which exit on a roundabout to take (invaluable in brum and london where multiple exits can say the same place but take you to different places) - and if a road is clearly inappropriate for any given reason (traffic, weight limit, width limit, too many parked cars, too tight a turn to be safe or not block things up too badly) then I just carry on and in 2 seconds flat a new route is planned without batting an eyelid instead of needing to stop, check a-to-z and re-plan the approach. more often than not I can see the actual side of the road a drop is on, and how far along and so know which way I need to approach from, where as with maps it’s often a case of arrive, and be wrong so a blind side reverse or drive off to find somewhere to turn round.

so, to sum up it’s not de-skilling at all, it’s complimenting existing skills and allowing more time and effort to be comitted to being safe on ever more demanding roads, than might otherwise be the case.

I agree with auto boxes to an extent though - although with some the prior planning needed to get the wagon on the gas with the time-delay between pedal pressure and power delivery is such that you’ve got to have your wits more about you than in a manual to avoid being stranded waiting for huuuuuge gaps to present themselves in traffic :smiley: the new MANs for example.

oh aye - and much better than carrying a map for every single UK town with me, every day, in order to tackle what is thrown at me that morning :smiley:

el gordo 78:
oh aye - and much better than carrying a map for every single UK town with me, every day, in order to tackle what is thrown at me that morning :smiley:

That is the main reason that I use it, being an agency driver I never know where I am going and buying a GPS is probably cheaper than all the maps you need - then again some of the area’s I have been this week won’t be covered by A-Z’s anyway…

… That said GPS (TomTom) does some wierd things, so I need to remember to “review” the route. Since it sent me down the A34, then through Stoke Centre, then back onto the A34 to get to Loomers Road estate yesterday.

:blush:

el gordo 78:

The same for me, but insert Germany instead of UK. Not long ago I would have said “insert Europe”.

My mate Keith was just about converted to using GPS but then went back to his maps when the GPS sent him up the M1 to get from Southampton to Tamworth.

They’re unreliable and extremely expensive for what they are. However, having said that, for a newbie that doesn’t have any maps to start off with, it is probably a cheaper option but I don’t think I’ll ever be converted to using GPS unless something truly startling comes out that has been specifically designed for truckers, not just an add-on for the current one for cars.

:bulb:

Rob K:
My mate Keith was just about converted to using GPS but then went back to his maps when the GPS sent him up the M1 to get from Southampton to Tamworth.

Just checked Tomtom 5 and that correctly uses A34/M40 from Southampton to Tamworth…

Low Bridge Height warning convertible/available from www.pocketgps.co.uk forum (look for the thread 1472 bridge heights) but you may need to do a little homework to convert it to tomtom format.

so far looking at maps, and chatting to colleagues before setting off, or ringing the contact number and asking for directions has always worked for me.

ps who took the photo gordo?

Rob K:

They’re unreliable and extremely expensive for what they are. However, having said that, for a newbie that doesn’t have any maps to start off with, it is probably a cheaper option but I don’t think I’ll ever be converted to using GPS unless something truly startling comes out that has been specifically designed for truckers, not just an add-on for the current one for cars.

:bulb:

If you edit the speeds in preferences to 54mph on motorways, 50 on international roads, 45 on major roads, 40 on the next type, then 34, 30 and 15 on target road, it generally gives a very accurate route.

When I did Grimsby to Southampton using it, it sent me M180, M18, M1, M69, past the coventry zone onto M40, A34, M3 and so on to the docks.

The next time I did the same drive by the normal plodders route, taking the A42/M42 to M40 and it added 24 minutes to the drive. Both days there were no traffic snags off of the M1 notts area.

So personally speaking, I’ve always found it very good.

besides, if you quickly review the route before departing and spot a potential schoolboy mistake on it, chances are its not got a fix and is planning off an old location, or it would normally be better if all things were equal, in which case just ask it to avoid any given road on the route and it’ll re-plan :smiley:

CBR_SI:
so far looking at maps, and chatting to colleagues before setting off, or ringing the contact number and asking for directions has always worked for me.

ps who took the photo gordo?

but you’re an ancient luddite :wink:

bruv :smiley:

The photo is off the Swarm DVD during one of the ride-outs, from last summer. Copied it to PC and freeze-framed the best focussed one, and then added the zoomy top-gear effect :wink: