Co-Op Birtley - Advice

Hi all,

Got an induction there tomorrow.

What’s the work generally like?

As its multi drop is it usually a high number of drops or just a lucky bag and see what you get?

Average shift hours etc.

Cheers.

Hi I work for Andover. The work is heavy on your back, constant tail lift flaps needing dropping / lifting and you get uneven paths, pot holes etc. You also get cars and other HGV’s in your loading area so you have to work twice as hard, deal with curbs etc.

The routes are pot luck, most I have ever done on one truck was 7 drops but this was 1 cage here, three there etc so made for a nice day. Some shops will take a 45ft full and have a loading ramp, others will take a full 45ft and be a high street front door job!
I always say its a physical job that is as hard as you want to make it! You don’t half loose some weight in this weather too! Some of the kit is a bit knocked about but then take a look at some of the delivery areas!!

Forgot to say I haven’t done 48hours for a long time. Average is 40h but on Salary. Some drivers want the hours and ask for a second run every day where I will do what they give me and help out if needed. I do nearly 2 1/2 hours commuting a day so when you add that onto a working week It makes it a long old time away from family.

Watch out for the roadworks on the A1 starting Saturday for a month. Going to be a nightmare!

i worked there for a couple of years straight after passing my test about 10 years ago.
the work is varied-some easy drops and some nightmares. it was a steep learning curve of how to reverse a trailer. occasionally you had to take the 6 wheel rigids which i hated. the overhang was terrible.
they might have a lot of different drivers now but the one’s that were there when i worked there were a real good bunch. very helpful indeed and gave me lots of good honest advice as a newbie.
the only reason i left was having to work a lot of saturdays on the rota and it interfered with the football otherwise i’d still be there.

good luck marra.