Clearstone

clear-stone.co.uk/index.html
Anyone used these people,I want to do my class 1 soon and these people lend you the dosh and find you a job,sounds :sunglasses:
I sold my motor cycle to fund my C2.
I have about a grand left and am getting realy bad lack of bike in the nice weather blues :cry:
The mrs says pass C1 and you can get a nice new bike :confused:

Oh Dear John O
That was a mistake selling the bike cos she will want a new bathroom, kitchen, shoes, dress, holiday, before you will be allowed to waste money on a motorbike :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Good Luck on the training and test.

No Ive never heard of Clearstone :wink:

Iā€™m not sure, but I think this company has been asked about before. Looking at the site it all looks very glossy & bright, lots of packing photos, but very little substance.
My understanding is funding is not easy to get unless you are just leaving the armed forces, prison, or are an immigant, also in some areas the long term unemployed are also able to go on some form of course.
I would think your best option is to go to a known & recommended HGV driving school, pass the test & then go to a known & trusted agency, its what I would do if it was my Ā£1,000ā€¦

I think that sounds like good advice to me,and wheel nut the holiday is next on the list :cry:
But I got a pay rise starting next month so I will pay up front and have done with it.

Having looked at the Clearstone site, Iā€™m not too impresssed. Lots of promises and not a lot of substance.

What I find significant is that they do not seem to be a member of any organisations like the RHA or the REC (Recruitment and Employment Confederation), which an established and reputable agency normally would be.

Iā€™ve taken the following from the Companies House site:-

Name & Registered Office :
CLEARSTONE TRAINING AND RECRUITING LIMITED
85-87 BAYHAM STREET
LONDON
NW1 0AG
Company No. :04796036
Date of Incorporation : 11/06/2003

Country of Origin : United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature Of Business (SIC(92)):
None registered

Accounting Reference Date : 31/08
Last Accounts Made Up To :
Next Accounts Due : 11/04/2005
Last Return Made Up To :
Next Return Due : 09/07/2004

Previous Names
Date of Change : Previous Name :
04/08/2003 CORNERSTONE TRAINING & RECRUITING LIMITED

Branch Details
There are no branches associated with this company.

Oversea Company Information
There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.

I do not know London well enough to know what type of area Baynham Street is, but there is always the possibility that this company is little more than a glorified ā€œMoney Lenderā€, charging appropriate rates, and then booking training, (for which they take a cut), and then registering you with an agency, (for which they take a cut), and then recovering the loan + interest, from your wages.

Unless, of course, someone can tell us different.

I got the package from Clearstone a few weeks ago.

First of all, you should be aware that they are a training and employment arranger. In other words they organise all the training and tests and then set up a job for you, for this you pay a premium (comparing their prices to IDT, a local LGV trainer here). It should be noted that their tems and conditions specify that you will take a job that they have provided.

Secondly, funding is made by way of Career Development Loans. These are operated by banks and are low interest loans which are repayable starting 1 month after training/qualification.

My own thoughts are these: Although not a scam, this type of arrangement is a purely admin function so it can be run from a single office/back bedroom (similar to some agencies I have come across) and is a way of making money with little outlay. If they do what they say then this is not a problem - you pay for a service and they provide it. The problem is getting some proof of this, the best way to do this would be to speak to some people who have been through the system - if they are any good then they should have no problem getting some of their past customers to provide testimonials, just make sure you speak to the bods and not just accept a written report.

Career Development Loans are a strange beast. They are available from Barclays, the Co-operative Bank and the Royal Bank of Scotland and are backed by the DfES. In order to offer a CDL, the training provider must be accredited to the scheme. This is all very well and good but, I have been told by an accredited provider that the biggest problem with the scheme is that it is too easy to get accreditation so this doesnā€™t guarantee the quality of the provider. The next stumbling block is that a CDL will only cover 80% of the fees so you will still need Ā£180 of your own up front for the class1 course, but they do say this is fully refundable if you donā€™t qualify for the loan.

Terms and conditions: (highlights)
What they provide is nicely laid out and details exactly what they will do in clear language - this is good because if you sign up and they donā€™t do it, you can take them to the cleaners (if you can afford the shyster)

You agree to take a job through Clearstone at the end of the course - bit of a double edged sword this one, yes they guarantee to get you a job but it might be minimum wage. To overcome this you just specify to the ā€˜recruitment consultantā€™ the minimum wage you are willing to work for when you make the agreement.

If you turn up under the influence at any time you get booted and forfeit all fees

To reserve your course place you must put up a Ā£99 non-refundable deposit - if youā€™re serious about doing the course then this is not a problem as it becomes part of the overall fee.

All of this is covered by the Consumer Protection Distance Selling Regulations 2000 & the Data Protection Act 1998

At the end of the day, they are just an agency. The biggest advantage is that they can get you on a course (they say) which is not always easy as an individual - a lot of LGV trainers are full with block bookings from companies/agencies.

I havenā€™t gone any further with them because I donā€™t have the Ā£400 I would need for the 20% of a c/c+e course.

Hope this helps a bit

Jules

I lived in camden town london for about 10 years,Baynham street was just up the road, small world eh :laughing:
I have had a good look at what they offer and agree with every thing you chaps say.
One thing I want to avoid is lumbering my self with a badly paid in long term dept you buiild railway job :cry:
Its far better to be free to pick and choose where and how much I earn.
I have offers of three jobs when I pass my C1(if I ever do lol)