Classic resorations in South-west?

killsville:
Out of the ones you mentioned, I’d probably go for the ERF.

With the plastic cab, they don’t attract the rust half as much as the AEC!

Look forward to seeing you on the show circuit in whatever you choose.

Very true killsville I have seen some AEC Mercury and Mandator cabs nearly totally eaten away.
regards Big Al

Apologies if you have already seen this post on the for sale forum…

Anyone know any companies in Cornwall, Devon or Dorset who undertake restorations? I’m looking to purchase something but want the work done near me so I can keep an eye on it.

PM me if you can help, Thanks

Check your PMs

Craig

ghinzani:
Apologies if you have already seen this post on the for sale forum…

Anyone know any companies in Cornwall, Devon or Dorset who undertake restorations? I’m looking to purchase something but want the work done near me so I can keep an eye on it.

PM me if you can help, Thanks

Have you considered doing the work yourself? Restoration can be a costly business, especially if you are paying someone to do the work for you.

Have you read Classic & Vintage Commercials magazine? There are usually plenty of adverts in there.

Any idea what you are planning to buy?

I’d love to do the work myself but until I can afford to move back to Cornwall (where family have fields & barns) I havent got the garaging facilities to do the work in. Therefore I want something smallish as ive got two big parking spaces. That is unless I can find a big garage here in Fordingbridge, but have seen nowt yet. I’d like to do something unusual tho - like convert something like this cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … Track=true to a mini-artic, perhaps with a dog-box sleeper behind the cab and ahead of the 5th wheel. What I would really like would be a ERFB series, AEC Mandator or a Rowe Hillmaster artic, 4X2. Anyways at present the restoration work would have to be done elsewhere for this one. I just want a reliable old truck that doesnt look half bad to get me on the historic runs and to the shows, then see what happens in the future.

Love both the classic commercial magazines out there, have asked for subs for xmas as my pressie off the missus!

Oh the old morris/austen…used to be called a threepenny bit…a good old truck in its day…its a good idea to do your own restoration as its a lot cheaper…providing you have all the trades needed, ie electrician, welder, brazier etc…and of course somewhere nice and dry…and not forgetting a very understanding partner/wife…but good luck anyway…
have a nice day

killsville:

Yes I’d like a big 4x2, and a B series with a Roller and Jennings cab would be faveourite. Depends really on whats available - does anyone know where I could find out the dimensions of one? width and length being more important than height.

truckyboy:
Oh the old morris/austen…used to be called a threepenny bit…a good old truck in its day…its a good idea to do your own restoration as its a lot cheaper…providing you have all the trades needed, ie electrician, welder, brazier etc…and of course somewhere nice and dry…and not forgetting a very understanding partner/wife…but good luck anyway…
have a nice day

Unfortunately I dont have the space or time to do the resto myself, which means I will have to pay over the odds for one but there you go. Its better and safer than buying myself a sportscar!! A threepenny bit/FG/Redline appeals to me on several fronts, firstly because they are not too wide (parking issues) and secondly because I want it to be a bit different than the norm with a slight element of custom in the restoration. I’d really like to run one as a swb 4x2 tractor (did they ever run like this, perhaps with Scammell couplings?) but need to find a decent company to do the resto for me. I also like these because it was the first lorry I ever went in, altho I can remember my old man slagging it off constantly!

ghinzani:
I’d really like to run one as a swb 4x2 tractor (did they ever run like this, perhaps with Scammell couplings?)

You mean something like this?

Seen here at the end of the East Coast Run (Hull to Bridlington) in June 2004.

I agree with KV Ghinzani, the Bseries would be a good choice, as the ergomatic cabs on the mandators do rot pretty bad, and must be thin on the ground now! So you like the rollers? the 265 was a great puller by the way! The A series is also plastic by the way, I was odffered one with a 180 gardner in it a while ago. They are a nice motor to reastore I’ll bet. Good luck getting a motor, I’d love to do it myself, but would have nowehere to keep the thing either!

killsville:

ghinzani:
I’d really like to run one as a swb 4x2 tractor (did they ever run like this, perhaps with Scammell couplings?)

You mean something like this?

[
Seen here at the end of the East Coast Run (Hull to Bridlington) in June 2004.

That is the absolute Mutts Nuts!! Perfect!

Any ideas on the dimensions of the tractor unit only? It does’nt look much longer than my car, which would be perfect.

Heres one for you to do up Mal

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … 78774&rd=1

Tony

Thats an interesting beast Tony! I dont know much about a ■■■■■■■ 180, unless its the Vee engine thats fitted, looking at the reg of it, and that it’s a rigid, that might well be the case! Oh for a garage and an acre of land! :smiley:

A slightly different approach, and it wouldn’t work in all areas, but if you had contact with a College that teaches automotive repairs, then they might be willing to undertake some of work for you.

The majority of the training is done on modern vehicles which do not always provide opportunities for some of the old-school skills such as chassis welding or lead-loading of panels.

Something to consider.

Mal:
Thats an interesting beast Tony! I dont know much about a ■■■■■■■ 180, unless its the Vee engine thats fitted, looking at the reg of it, and that it’s a rigid, that might well be the case! Oh for a garage and an acre of land! :smiley:

It’s an ex Gritter wagon, Mal. One of a special batch built in the early 70’s.

The ■■■■■■■ 180 was basically the same engine as the 220 if I remember correctly, just with a lower power rating.

ghinzani:
That is the absolute Mutts Nuts!! Perfect!

Any ideas on the dimensions of the tractor unit only? It does’nt look much longer than my car, which would be perfect.

Don’t know the exact dimensions but I wouldn’t say it was any bigger than a short wheelbase Transit van.

Got you KV, would that be model NHC180 then? Just curious, I found the C180 on the web, but it wasnt clear whether it was a marine motor or what.

Mal:
Got you KV, would that be model NHC180 then? Just curious, I found the C180 on the web, but it wasnt clear whether it was a marine motor or what.

You got it Mal! The NHC was just an earlier version of the NHK. (743cu. ins. - thats 12.17 litres in new money!)