Class1 upgrade recomendations - Herts area

Looking to up grade to Class 1 after years of bieng stubborn and saying i didnt need to to do it,
Have looked around and £1200 for 5 day course with Raodtrain in Welwyn is cheapest and closest to me.

Any personal recomendations of this or other local schools■■?

Looking to do test in January

Cheers

We recommend having an assessment drive with at least a couple of different companies. You get to try the vehicle and meet the trainer. It gives the instructor the opportunity to say whether or not you actually need a full length course. I would say that more than half of all people we assess on Cat C+E do not require the full standard lenght course. This of course brings the price down considerably.

Sometimes it may be worth travelling a bit further for the training if it reduces the cost. Many companies like ourselves and others provide the assessment drives free although some may charge an hourly rate.

Hope this helps

Chelmsford is only an hour away, like the retraining included in your course - just in case!!! :smiley:

What vehicles do you use? mini artic/drawbar or 40 ft?

Cheers

Hi demonbiker

In reply to your question we use Iveco rigids with drawbar trailer. We would be happy to take you for an assessment drive but would strongly recommend that you do try other companies as well, particularly one with a conventional artic to see which you feel most comfortable in.

You don’t mention whether or not you have any expereince reversing any sort of trailer. This can affect the amount of training needed. Most assessments will include this aspect so you will get a feel for it.

it sounds as though you may have plenty of experience driving rigids though. Have you been offered some work that requires you to have the upgraded licence ?

Done a bit of reversing trailers on cars/ vans etc
More oppertunities with class 1 , might go back to agency work as current employer is useless!!!

:frowning: :unamused:

Ace usually get a good report for that area although I think they are now doing a lot of testing in Chelmsford. One lass from Stansted area recently passed with KW & Daughter in Essex and was very impressed.

I used roadtrain at south mimms for my c+e in 2002, My trainer was very good, And The test was in Enfield. I enjoyed my training and got my licence at the end, very good!

You might want to have a look through this list of trainers that other TruckNet users have recommended.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949