Class 2 job... Derbyshire / Mansfield / Chesterfield area

I’m looking for a class 2 driving job, I’m a new pass, hard working and looking for a company to go and stay… can’t be doing with job hoping. Does anyone know of jobs available? Lookong to gain class 1 as soon as my piggy bank is OK again.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Hi. Taylors are advertising for drivers. They are at Huthwaite (very close to junc 28). One of the biggest operators in the area.

Mitchells (Mansfield) have a good name, fleet etc but I dont know if there’s any vacancies at the moment.

Maybe try Bowring at Warsop. Huge tipper fleet. Once again, dont know if there’s anything available there at the moment. But a reputable operator.

Hope this may help, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Theres quite a few places around Alfreton such as NHS Direct, UPS and loads of others around the same estate. Dont know if any are taking on, but droving round grtting a few names would give you a start.

Taylors are often looking although that can be an “interesting” place to work due to the chaos. They do seem friendly enough however. Oh and make sure you know how 4 over 4 gearboxes work incase they give you the agency truck (assuming its not blown up yet). :slight_smile:

If you had ADR I could give you a possible name round there as our place cant get ADR drivers but has no probs getting general drivers (and technically you need 1 year on licence, but this could be skipped for ADR).

I would avoid a tipper company begining with “Fern” (forgot its full name). Very much backstabbing and insane driving required. Not what you need when starting out.

trevHCS:
I would avoid a tipper company begining with “Fern” (forgot its full name). Very much backstabbing and insane driving required. Not what you need when starting out.

Do you mean Fernwood?Got blue Renaults and Scanias,always racing round like headless chickens for crap money?If so they are definitely one to avoid.

OP the area you’re asking about is quite literally swimming with 8 wheeler mobs,head west of the M1 or into the dales and there’s countless quarries full of local 8-legger lads.

Someone mentioned Bowring at Warsop,they’re a decent company and will keep you busy,they run artics too so if you go for your class one they’ll most likely move you up.Taylors are alright but their kit is a bit rough round the edges and the place is basically organised chaos.If you can get your head round it and crack on though it’s not so bad there.Mitchells run you ragged for peanuts according to a mate of mine that didn’t stay there long,so make of that what you will.

If I was you I’d jump in the car and head west of the M1,get scouting round the quarries and see who’s pulling out of where then either pop in and see them or get on the blower,8 wheelers are a right good laugh if you get on a decent enough mob and most other stuff is easy after you’ve come from them.

If 8 wheelers aren’t your thing then head for Alfreton area and look at who’s pulling round the industrial estates there,there’s also the Co-op RDC just off J28 if you fancy being a trolley dolly

Thanks for the comments… I think your right… jump in the car and go for a ride around and call into places. Not sure what I want to do yet as in tipper, shop delivery or general haulage. I want to take about 500 a week home, not fused on working the hours… il graft for money. That’s no dramas…

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

500 a week clear - you might want to be tramping for that. Would say £9.50 to £10 hour is most you’ll get for class 2 round this way although there are some who’ll pay even less. Our lot is about £9 class 2 with ADR then they wonder why only agency will work for them.

People on agency might make more, but that’s usually LTD company and they can skip the country if HMRC come knocking.

Bowrings last I heard were about £10 hour for artics and night class 2, although if you’re on the road crews you get a bonus. That is very soughtafter work. At least the fleet is maintained in their own garage and they have their own driver trainers. Suspect they are much more by the books than most.

You can make money on other tippers, but you’ll be doing 15 loads a day and running round like a headless chicken for potentially 15 hours. They have to drive like that to keep the contracts (apparently). Just remember, the 15 hours doesn’t include getting to or from home and you could be back in 9 hours later. Only good if you live really close.

Yep it was Fernwoods I was thinking of - if you see one of those coming, get out the way!

You can make that sort of money on tippers if you crack on,but you will have to graft for it.
The likes of Bidvest/Brakes or whatever they’re all calling themselves these days traditionally pay well on nights,but again it’s graft.
Some of the waste companies are paying well for class two as well,Bakers Waste at Leicester were offering £30k + o/t earlier this year for class two.

There was good demand for class two with hiab over the last couple years,might be worth looking into a crane ticket to broaden your opportunities a bit,usually a nice variety on the cranes too.
Good luck with your searching,and as above,Fernwoods are one to avoid if possible unless you’re into that sort of thing :laughing: