Clarification on req of Driver CPC

Hi again,

Just a quick question on the Driver CPC, because the material I have looked at doesn’t make it entirely clear to me.

Am I correct in thinking that someone who has recently got their class 1 or 2 does not need to complete the Driver CPC if they are not driving for hire and reward? e.g. using a truck to move something but not getting paid for doing so and not being their primary occupation?

RJP001:
Hi again,

Just a quick question on the Driver CPC, because the material I have looked at doesn’t make it entirely clear to me.

Am I correct in thinking that someone who has recently got their class 1 or 2 does not need to complete the Driver CPC if they are not driving for hire and reward? e.g. using a truck to move something but not getting paid for doing so and not being their primary occupation?

You will have to be more specific, clarify recently, and clarify moving something for free

RJP001:
Hi again,

DCPC is required for COMMERCIAL LGV (or PCV) driving
COMMERCIAL is not the same meaning as HIRE OR REWARD

It is the job that the LGV is being used for which determines what rules the driver is required to conform with

Lets say the driver is not paid for the following two senarios
1 Driving a LGV to move their own furniture or their own horse(s)
2 Driving a LGV to move commercial goods or an empty truck to service as a favour for a mate
1 = no dcpc
2 = must have dcpc

Recently is since it became a requirement to complete the initial Driver CPC to be allowed to drive “for a living” (as the authorities seem to put it).

Moving something for free could be a car or helping people move house for instance.

RJP001:
Recently is since it became a requirement to complete the initial Driver CPC to be allowed to drive “for a living” (as the authorities seem to put it).

The initial dcpc is only required if the driver does not already have dcpc aquired/grandfather rights and wishes to drive commercially

Moving something for free could be a car or helping people move house for instance.

No driver cpc required

Just remember acquired rights for drivers who held a car licence before 1997 as they hold a C1 which is a group of LGV. And, of course, anyone who held any class of LGV before Sept 2009 who also have entitlement until Sept 2014. To maintain driver cpc, 35 hours of periodic training have to be completed before Sept 2014.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: