City transport

What happened to city with the blue and white scanias,they used to have a lot of work for coca cola and did they have a scania dealers somewhere :question: :question: ive done a search for them and nothing comes up,i saw one of there old trailers on friday in a field and it reminded me ,they were big players at one bit :unamused: :unamused:

seth 70:
What happened to city with the blue and white scanias,they used to have a lot of work for coca cola and did they have a scania dealers somewhere :question: :question: ive done a search for them and nothing comes up,i saw one of there old trailers on friday in a field and it reminded me ,they were big players at one bit :unamused: :unamused:

Did’nt their directors get in to trouble for false accounting to make the company look solvent?

I used to go in coke at wakefield,the work was between stobarts ,irlams,city and rcs ,theres only stobart left and i bet thats called ws transportation soon.

As I recall, City quoted ridiculously low rates in order to get the work then went t*ts up when none of it paid.
Any fool can work for nothing. :unamused:

Retired Old ■■■■:
As I recall, City quoted ridiculously low rates in order to get the work then went t*ts up when none of it paid.

As someone who actually worked there I think you’ll find there’s a little more to it than just low rates from memory the trucks had a set target to hit each week and usually achieved this with out a problem so were always running a profit. If a small one. It was a good easy job

alix776:

Retired Old ■■■■:

As someone who actually worked there I think you’ll find there’s a little more to it than just low rates from memory the trucks had a set target to hit each week and usually achieved this with out a problem so were always running a profit. If a small one. It was a good easy job

Sorry, matey, obviously you, having worked for the company, have an entirely different take on the subject. I was speaking purely from the standpoint of someone who’s firm lost a couple of long-standing contracts to City. We were offered the chance to come back to the customers with an even lower quote than City’s but declined to commit commercial suicide! :wink:

seth 70:

I worked for city for nearly three years !! they did run scanias then changed to renault premiums with bank loans ect and that was their down fall as they did,nt earn enough to pay them back . this was 1999,i saw the writing on the wall and got out but alot of the drivers did,nt get payed when they went bust.at the time nobody knew who owned the units or the trailers??.

Would I be correct in say they did some work out of Hays Ltd in Trafford Park I used to take Becks Beer from Teesport in there & load MT Bottles for Newcastle Brown Ale Plant in the Toon, Im sure it was City Transports Scanias I saw in there, ■■, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Would I be correct in say they did some work out of Hays Ltd in Trafford Park I used to take Becks Beer from Teesport in there & load MT Bottles for Newcastle Brown Ale Plant in the Toon, Im sure it was City Transports Scanias I saw in there, ■■, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,yes you,re right they did go to trafford park with beer,when i started there i got anew Actros the only one on the fleet , then i had anew premium as they phased the scanias out Dave.

cryogent24:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry,yes you,re right they did go to trafford park with beer,when i started there i got anew Actros the only one on the fleet , then i had anew premium as they phased the scanias out Dave.

I thought they had a scania dealership in the midlands area’ :confused:

ye they did m8 in m.keynes

I remember one of there drivers reversing into pete owens fh in coke then did a runner,he hit it square on at the front ,made a right mess :blush: :blush: :blush: i was on the phone at the time to my then boss with him asking me to nick as many round amber side marker lenses off trailers i could lay my hands on ,my boss was pete osbourne and i was driving the fh he hit :laughing: :laughing:

I did nights on City back in the 90s. 2 runs from Northampton to Edmonton each night. I remember one lad turning his over on J14 and getting trapped under the cab. The crash barrier saved him but he was badly hurt. I also remember the cop cars weighed down with bottles of coke in the boot.

cryogent24:

seth 70:

I worked for city for nearly three years !! they did run scanias then changed to renault premiums with bank loans ect and that was their down fall as they did,nt earn enough to pay them back . this was 1999,i saw the writing on the wall and got out but alot of the drivers did,nt get payed when they went bust.at the time nobody knew who owned the units or the trailers??.

That’s not quite true actually from what I was told first hand by a driver that stayed untill the very end they did get payed.

Part or the issue was a fall out with scania then some trucks finance was shall we say interesting though in the know will know what mean