Christian Salveson Night Blog (No Pics, sorry)

Hello again folks,

Just woke up after a bit of a long blink with snoring (5 hours of a blink). I did my night of driving with Christians and they seem quite a good firm to work for. I don’t know what the money is like but the drivers seem reasonably happy, as happy as drivers can be I suppose. The warehouse/loading area is well laid out and they are one of the most safety conscious companies I have seen for a while. About 90% of the walkways in the warehouse seem freshly painted (ish)

It’s quite relaxed and the wagons are ok, fairly new usually 55 or 05 or newer so they are in good nick… The only down side is they are restricted to bang on 50 and I was getting overtaken by caravans :blush: :blush: .

There is no onus on you to get the job done and rush back as long as you don’t kick the arse out of it, I was out about 4 hours on the first run and thought I was a bit slow but still no phone call to see when I was going to get back for the second run.

As it was a night shift I had to deliver parts to numerous garages around Chichester and Pompey. Did the jaguar garage at Chichester (Harwood’s I think it was called) and there are some lovely motors there, it was a bit nerve racking reversing down between two rows of Jags in the dark with just the reversing lights to light the place up. Then having to figure out the alarm system with out setting it off. It was only to the parts store anyway so I couldn’t have had a car away if I wanted to, which was a shame as there were some there that would cover about 4 years wages :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

It was quite hard work and very tiring as I started at midnight and finished about 0930. On my run there was very little drivng but a lot of faffing around with locks and rhino bars and the like.

The paperwork is hard to get your head around but I guess if you have been doing it a few days it will be second nature.

Thanks to Jason (another driver) and Mike (in the office) for looking after me and keeping me on the straight and narrow and to the forklift drivers for moving and loading my wagon as I was sorting paperwork out (there aren’t many places i have been to that they would do that for you).

I hear they are looking for drivers at the moment. I don’t know how true that is but if you’re looking for a job in the pompey/Southampton/Fareham area it might be worth giving them a cold call or knock on their door. (PM me if you want their office number).

I will try to get some pictures tonight as I am doing a multi drop run in to London with muffins starting at 0300 and do another blog.

byeeeeeeee

Nice blog. Seems like a good firm. All the wagons Daf CF’s?

Cheers

New Blood

NewBlood:

Cheers

New Blood

yeah they were mate. very tidy inside as well actually, as if they had been looked after. no signs of smoking in them either so i didnt do it. theres no point annoying a company that could become a regular job is there.

for some reason though there is a sign on the windscreen saying that first is always to be used to set off. i thought it was more economical to set off in second if you could do it safely then block change up to 6th?

Gibsla, was you in a rigid? At my depot the rigids are indeed restricted to 50 . Dunno why? But the artics aint. All the “Y” reg stuff has gone and replaced with new rentals, a mixture of DAF and Premiums. Part of the Norbert thing I guess.

Dunno then?:
Gibsla, was you in a rigid? At my depot the rigids are indeed restricted to 50 . Dunno why? But the artics aint. All the “Y” reg stuff has gone and replaced with new rentals, a mixture of DAF and Premiums. Part of the Norbert thing I guess.

yes i was mate. personnaly i belive it all comes down to the world wide debate of fuel economy. apparently in a large fleet 5mph makes a hell of a difference on the mpg front.

do yo think the norbert thing is a good thing?

Giblsa:

NewBlood:

Cheers

New Blood

yeah they were mate. very tidy inside as well actually, as if they had been looked after. no signs of smoking in them either so i didnt do it. theres no point annoying a company that could become a regular job is there.

for some reason though there is a sign on the windscreen saying that first is always to be used to set off. i thought it was more economical to set off in second if you could do it safely then block change up to 6th?

Thanks for the quick response. All the CS trucks I have seen round this way have either been Daf ‘CF’, ‘LF’, or ‘55’.

Good luck with the future job thing. You seemed to enjoy it so hopefully something will come up for you.

Cheers

New Blood