Christian Salvesens

GSC 704N
My first ‘allocated’ truck at Salvesens Droitwich.
Most of these Clydesdales had the fridge engine housed in a Luton type extension which put the whole thing over the top of the cab.
704s box was flat fronted which meant the cab roof was the ideal place to stand to check the fridge engine oil.
As a result of untold numbers of boots tramping over it, 704s roof was split in at least two places. Rain and water from washing got it and turned the cab roof lining into a soggy mess.
I had to cover the splits with parcel tape and use handles from vegetable crates to wedge the lining in place.
All in all they were not bad motors to drive,though they had a tendency to roll if pushed.
The fridge engine was LGP powered and often started up and shut down with a a loud bang like a gunshot.
Great when passing through quiet villages in the early hours.
This was taken in the ‘Red Lion’ layby near Northampton.

300378.jpg

HSC 753N
Another Salvesen Clydesdale seen in Droitwich Spa
I cannot remember the date of this one, but the photo was taken from the cab of a Mercedes 1617, so i assume the Leylands where on
their way out .

I delivered to salvesens at droitwich many times when they had the sainsburys contract,it was a very busy tight yard if i remember rightly.I used to run into their drivers at sainsburys stores, they always seemed to run low powered mercs at the time.

rich12:
I delivered to salvesens at droitwich many times when they had the sainsburys contract,it was a very busy tight yard if i remember rightly.I used to run into their drivers at sainsburys stores, they always seemed to run low powered mercs at the time.

Yes,that’s correct
The 16t 4 wheelers where 1617s
The first artics where ex Blairgowrie 1619s, ie 190 bhp, unblown vee 6
The next lot where 1621s followed by about 12 face lifted 1726 SKs , 6 (?) of which later went to Elstree Depot.
ERF E10 s with ■■■■■■■ 275 followed

This is an ex Salvo motor that I had for 2 years 1995/1996 on Brinor and Frigoscandia as an od.

Same tractor seen in Salvesens Doncaster depot 8 July 1987.
I think Mick Beaumont was the usual driver.

cs1617s.jpg

Date unknown but sometime around 1980 (ish)
3 Mercedes 1617s at Droitwich Spa
loaded and waiting the arrival of their drivers
(R) ASC 77S
(Cntr) OSF 932V
(L) Na

csfrds.jpg
D Type Fords 1000 at Droitwich Spa Depot
Date unknown, about 1980.
Steam cleaning ramps in foreground.
Fitted with fold down bunks, these things where used for general haulage and driven by heroes.

The date is a bit of guess work.
This is the top end of the Droitwich Spa depot
At least three Mercedes 1617s and a Ford 1000 D type with single axle trailer are backed against the loading bays.

I remember reading commercial motor about 15 years ago and they’re was this infectious graduate from christian sakvesen going on about at the heart of it they were an I.T. Company that just happened to run vehicles and I knew then it wouldn’t be long before they would be history.

2011-08-15 001.jpg
Operated by Christian Salvesen, Salserve was the name used by the branch that operated RDCs on behalf of Marks and Spencer.
This 4x2 T45 cabbed rigid Leyland was probably based in Rugby
Seen on running south on the M5 near Bromsgrove ,

backsplice:
Are there any of the old original lads from the early days ■■? I think Salvesens only came into Road haulage in the late 6o,s they had been a shipping and whaling Co( I sailed on 2 of their ships)… before then I think that they were involved in cold storage prior to road transport Anyway I used to know most of the drivers from their Blairgowrie depot …names are forgotten except for an old worthie called Hamish (Hamie) Burnett I think he has gone now but what a character I first knew him from his F&F days then Alisons Freightlines Dundee where he drove an AEC Mammoth Major by golly he was only a little fella but what a man full of fun don,t suppose any one will remember him now to far back !!!

Hi ,yes wee Hamie has long gone ,he worked for a blairgowrie company called F and F transport from blairgowrie who were bought by Alisons alas so has Ali Beedie, Chick Grant,Wull Grant to name but a few from the Blairgowrie Depot ,all gone now just a housing estate where once there was a large salvesons depot funnily enough my uncle Millar Ramsay is still alive and well he is an salvesons man and before that smedleys and f and f ,so still a few around and i will pass your name over to him

The first companies bought by salvesons were in blairgowrie (daniel stewart)and aberdeen)claben) here are two of the first lorries during the change over as they were both originally daniel stewart

salvolvsa.jpg

MGS453GGuyBigJFairMaid_IS-vi.jpg

rathmell999:
The first companies bought by salvesons were in blairgowrie (daniel stewart)and aberdeen)claben) here are two of the first lorries during the change over as they were both originally daniel stewart

That trailer behind the F88 looks odd with no side rails,mudwings and single boots.!

Not my image, but taken from the back page of the Christian Salvesen company magazine No 13.
this was the last ‘proper’ magazine style publication, hereinafter it was more of a news sheet format.
The Mercedes units where almost certainly Blairgowrie based as the image dates from 1977 and Aberdeen depot was already history.
It is ,of course the Forth road bridge and i believe the convoy is Southbound.
I never drove one of these though i did ride in a couple after some where transferred south to the Droitwich Spa depot.
Its a shame the units cannot be identified ,as it was Salvesen policy to allocate tractors to named drivers, it may have been possible to work out the probable identification of the drivers.

After receiving info from another source it seems that these units where Aberdeen based.
Apparently the blue band visible around the cab below the window line was only applied to Aberdeen based units.
It is quite possible that some of those at least retained the band after the closure of Aberdeen.

A couple of Christian Salvesens old tractor units on there second life

Ade

This was waiting for the ferry at Stranraer going to Belfast…1979

The Drivers name was Bill Mercer big Scots fella does anybody remember him?
Thats not him in the drivers seat thats me.

Big power motor that - remember them well at South Kirby

:open_mouth: A 1619 ■■? 190 BHP?? :open_mouth: No Way !! what were they?? A naturally aspirated V8■■