Chip it or leave it

Speck:

muckles:
Sounds like chipping will give the same benfit as buying a motor with a power output that was correct for weight it pulled instead of getting a motor that will pull the weight but will struggle.

Lad at work wants our 440 FH chipped, but we only pull 27 tonnes and the motor is a year old. But then he also wants super single on the front axle because they look cool. :unamused:
Can’t seem to get him to understnd that the motor is more than capable of doing the job as it is.

I bet he has a Volvo baseball cap and eats Yorkie bars as well!

Yep! he’s a bit of a boy racer and like blinged up motors, but he has very little experience of trucks and none of haulage, but just won’t listen to those of us who do have a few years knowledge.
He wanted to take the front mirror off the trucks because it didn’t look cool. I had to keep explaining to him that it’s required by law to have it. He also reset the ride height so it was lower but it felt horrible because every time you hit a bump it bottomed out and then tried to argue that the reason the truck handled so badly at his last place was that the tyre walls were flexing so we need to get really low profile tyres to stop it.

chrisgoddard:

muckles:
Sounds like chipping will give the same benfit as buying a motor with a power output that was correct for weight it pulled instead of getting a motor that will pull the weight but will struggle. .

True, but its a good opion if you want to change type of work your doing and need more bhp, or cant afford to change the unit :slight_smile:

Yep! no problem if you got a truck a few years old and you need to give it a bit extra. but surely a new truck with specified correctly for the work should have the best set-up for power and economy?

muckles:

chrisgoddard:

muckles:
Sounds like chipping will give the same benfit as buying a motor with a power output that was correct for weight it pulled instead of getting a motor that will pull the weight but will struggle. .

True, but its a good opion if you want to change type of work your doing and need more bhp, or cant afford to change the unit :slight_smile:

Yep! no problem if you got a truck a few years old and you need to give it a bit extra. but surely a new truck with specified correctly for the work should have the best set-up for power and economy?

You would think so wouldnt you, exactly the same question I used to ask about cars, so if its the same answer for trucks as it is cars its got alot to do with emissions and goverment legislation (spelling :blush: ) and taking it easy on the power of the engine to try to reduce warrenty claims and breakdowns even though most engines are built to withstand twice the power they leave the factory with. Because ‘chipping’ can increase the responsiveness of a engine aswell its not as smooth gearchange ,not as lazy and can make it abit more ‘jerky’ so comfort has a little bit to do with it aswell. Im sure theres lots of other reasons aswell but I could be wrong and what ive said is a load of rubbish, im just passing on what ive been told lol but I do think some if not all of that is correct :slight_smile:

muckles:
Yep! he’s a bit of a boy racer and like blinged up motors,

Does that make me a boy racer■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had my 380 scania chipped to 440 when it had about 720k on the clock, total improvement, i was doing 44ton bulk to Turriff out of norfolk, it wasn’t exactly super horse power but it did make a hell of a difference to fuel/journey times/driver fatigue but never caused any problems to engine and drive train. Gained mpg, no complaints.

My 420 was chipped in january and it go’s like a train, mpg depends on if i’m being sensible or pushin to get somewhere. I did have to replace the turbo after 2 months, it lost a fin,but to be fair the truck had done 900k+ at that point so you could say it was just age.

My 460 Fh was left alone, power was fine but bad on fuel.

I see chipping 100% positive as long as the motor is serviced well. however i do find anyone who chips a truck into 700bhp plus as having small ■■■■■ syndrome :laughing: :laughing:

MR VAIN:

muckles:
Yep! he’s a bit of a boy racer and like blinged up motors,

Does that make me a boy racer■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had my 380 scania chipped to 440 when it had about 720k on the clock, total improvement, i was doing 44ton bulk to Turriff out of norfolk, it wasn’t exactly super horse power but it did make a hell of a difference to fuel/journey times/driver fatigue but never caused any problems to engine and drive train. Gained mpg, no complaints.

My 420 was chipped in january and it go’s like a train, mpg depends on if i’m being sensible or pushin to get somewhere. I did have to replace the turbo after 2 months, it lost a fin,but to be fair the truck had done 900k+ at that point so you could say it was just age.

My 460 Fh was left alone, power was fine but bad on fuel.

I see chipping 100% positive as long as the motor is serviced well. however i do find anyone who chips a truck into 700bhp plus as having small ■■■■■ syndrome :laughing: :laughing:

I agree an old 380 or even a 420 pulling full weight might benifit from chipping, fewer gear changes etc, should give an improvment on fuel. makes sense to me. A blinged up truck is no problem either, it’s your money and who am I to tell you what to do with it. :smiley:

But I’m being told that we should do things to a truck by somebody who doesn’t actually know anything about trucks, he’s wants more power because he wants to go into the paddock and tell everybody that we’ve got a better truck than they have. So he quotes to the bosses all the advertising info about it savig fuel, but we run a new 440 FH pulling 27 tonnes, it hardly notices hills, or changes down, so how is it going to save fuel. Maybe if he let the Ishift do the work instead of thinking he’s better and using manual he’d save more fuel than a chip. :imp:

chrisgoddard:

muckles:

chrisgoddard:

muckles:

You would think so wouldnt you, exactly the same question I used to ask about cars, so if its the same answer for trucks as it is cars its got alot to do with emissions and goverment legislation (spelling :blush: ) and taking it easy on the power of the engine to try to reduce warrenty claims and breakdowns even though most engines are built to withstand twice the power they leave the factory with. Because ‘chipping’ can increase the responsiveness of a engine aswell its not as smooth gearchange ,not as lazy and can make it abit more ‘jerky’ so comfort has a little bit to do with it aswell. Im sure theres lots of other reasons aswell but I could be wrong and what ive said is a load of rubbish, im just passing on what ive been told lol but I do think some if not all of that is correct :slight_smile:

Agreed that manufactures make their engines to comply with emission and other legislation, but so do hauliers otherwise you just set it up like a race truck. It may not be the engine they are trying to protect with lower power, I’ve heard that marine diesels have much more power from the same unit, but the driveline is the weak point and your comment about gear changes might confirm that. Although nobody here has said anything about driveline failure, but we’ve had a few comments about turbo failure. No real proof that it was down to re-chipping though.

Sayig all that a few percent extra power might not hurt a motor, probably still well within tolerances and manufactuers have different power ratings for the same engine.

But I’ve never said don’t chip a motor, but why chip a motor that quite capable of doing the job it’s on already.

muckles:

chrisgoddard:

muckles:

chrisgoddard:

muckles:

Agreed that manufactures make their engines to comply with emission and other legislation, but so do hauliers otherwise you just set it up like a race truck. It may not be the engine they are trying to protect with lower power, I’ve heard that marine diesels have much more power from the same unit, but the driveline is the weak point and your comment about gear changes might confirm that. Although nobody here has said anything about driveline failure, but we’ve had a few comments about turbo failure. No real proof that it was down to re-chipping though.

Sayig all that a few percent extra power might not hurt a motor, probably still well within tolerances and manufactuers have different power ratings for the same engine.

But I’ve never said don’t chip a motor, but why chip a motor that quite capable of doing the job it’s on already.

I think if chipping the motor causes it to have a problem , the problem was already there and the extra bhp has just made it let go early. Good point about the drivetrain, but surely that must be over enginenered to start off with so can handle the extra bhp. Would it be the same drivetrain used in a 420bhp motor and a 530bhp with maybe the exceptions of brakes and gear ratio, but the actual componants being the same if you know what I mean??#

And yes I totally agree with only chip it if you need to, sometimes just changing your driving style can sort out alot of the probs, but really for UK work surely 10bhp per tonne is enough.

Somebody almost beat me to this by mentioning drivelines.

When speccing a truck the salesman and old style haulier would work out the best axle configuration, bodywork, diff ratio and even engine manufacturer for the type of work and for the area the vehicle normally worked in.

So it is always going to be a compromise, so by altering the ECU by remapping or chipping it allows you to redesign the truck to suit a particular operation.

Chipping and remapping is also used by boy racers, race teams, bike riders, even my SV 1000 has been done. The GP guys will remap the bike to suit a particular race circuit

But chipping trucks simply for maximum horsepower is akin to fitting a coach diff to a heavy hauler :smiley:

Before going to the expense of chipping. Why don’t you just adjust the pump timing nearer to top dead centre, you’ll probably find you don’t need to chip it.

limeyphil:
Before going to the expense of chipping. Why don’t you just adjust the pump timing nearer to top dead centre, you’ll probably find you don’t need to chip it.

isnt that what chipping does

cheer’s for all replys folks,much appreciated…but just for the record not so much bothered about bhp (i’m no boy racer,too wise+i own truck!) just heard alot of hype regarding better fuel consumption,including a big write-up in the commercial motor this year (forget the name of company now) from somewhere up north west.

chip it-i did :sunglasses: :wink:

limeyphil:

1. Because you cannot alter the pump timing mechanically, it is all controlled by electronics.
  2. By moving the timing closer to TDC, you will be retarding it and it will smoke like a steamer and not pull the skin off a rice pudding :laughing: [/list]

Hi all

I am at that the min considering chipping my 06 Actros 2546 euro 4. I just cannot seem to get the mpg up on it compared to my old 04 euro 3 Actros, I drive it the same as my old one, its doing the same work, pulling the same trailer etc. Its been back to Merc but the computer says all is ok-so it must be me an how I drive it - the same as my old one!

I have asked others who run Mercs inc my brother who has a 07 plate, and they seem to be getting at least .7 more mpg than me, has anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Has anybody ‘chipped’ a Merc, what were the results, was it worth it, and who did it?

Thanks all

Merc Actros

My 1846 has been upped to 520. The torque has moved from 2200nm to 2400nm so it can now sit with a v8.
I had it done simply because the opportunity arose ,however mpg has’nt really changed although i have a timber truck running a pto for an hour or two so i’ll never get great results unless i pull a flat.
Is yours auto mine is? I think this helps mpg a little.

Yea mine is a mega exec model with the auto and manual box (without the clutch pedal). Its got the new type gearbox - powershift, is it? With eco roll, power mode in etc buttons on the dash.

Dont. get me wrong its a great truck, I love it, far better than my old XF. The o4 gave me 3 yrs great service-never broke down or cost me anything major-I do over service rather than under service though, and I do it all myself-im a spanner man by trade anyway. I just hope this one is the same as that truck, and I can sort this mpg issue out. Pity I carnt get rid of the add blue and digi tacho though!

When was it built? Pre Nov. 07’ don’t have a sensor so fill it withH2O. :slight_smile: Remember the old clamps on the end of jump leads :question: Glue a magnet to each side of the jaw and throw it on the gearbox sensor :sunglasses:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’

Ok you seem to be up for chipping your motor’s

How many of you have informed your insurance company that you have had your truck chipped ■■?

Think you’ll find if you have a prang and its found out you aint gonna have insurance

nick2008:

How many of you have informed your insurance company that you have had your truck chipped ■■?

Think you’ll find if you have a prang and its found out you aint gonna have insurance

AND YR POINT IS? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

MR VAIN:

nick2008:

AND YR POINT IS? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

come on rob he has gone to a lot of trouble to make his font size bigger :laughing: