Change of underware required!

M25 chaos after lorry explosion

The lorry exploded at about midday
Traffic queued for miles on the M25 after a lorry carrying bleach exploded, blowing debris across the motorway.
On one stretch of the London orbital, one of Britain’s busiest roads, both carriageways were shut after the lorry carrying hydrogen peroxide caught fire.

Motorists described hearing a series of explosions and seeing items blown across all 10 lanes at junction 13, the exit to Staines, just before noon.

Two lanes remain shut but it is hoped they will open by Wednesday rush hour.

They are on the anti-clockwise section and traffic was queuing back to junction 16 at the M40.

Drivers stuck in the heat were approached by people selling bottles of water on the stretch of motorway where traffic was at a standstill.

The lorry driver was taken to hospital with minor injuries but no-one else was hurt. The wind blew toxic fumes away from the traffic.

Drivers are being told to avoid the area

One driver told BBC London: “There was a huge explosion, I think about three in total, and we saw these blue things which looked like water canisters flying across the road.”

The blue plastic buckets were among debris spread across the motorway by the blast, which destroyed the lorry.

Police are investigating why the lorry exploded.

It happened near the junction for Heathrow Airport, and British Airways has said those who missed flights because they were caught up in the tailbacks may be entitled to a refund.

Neil Owen, from Surrey Fire and Rescue, told BBC News: "Looking at the lorry, it’s actually sort of totally written-off.

“It’s burnt from end to end, but fortunately nobody was hurt.”

All I can say is glad to hear the driver is ok! check the link below and have a look at the aftermath!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4197500.stm

Looking at the lorry, it’s actually sort of totally written-off.

Make that man a Politician. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Glad to hear no-one was badly hurt.

Don’t you just love public facing spokesmen (persons, if you’re that way inclined)

Some policeman on the news just now “we’re led to believe there may have been an some sort of explosion” All the images show 25litre containers blown across both carriageways. How did that happen Mr policeman, did the leprachauns throw them out of the wagon to save them from catching fire, eh, eh? :unamused:

come on nsh we no your cheesed (ok cheesed is an understatment) of f with volvo but its a bit extreme in it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now watch health and safety get involved in that …there will be new regulations…about carrying bleach/peroxide in plastic containers…now i have seen…and worked with chemicals that are transported in plastic containers…even acid…and i think theyre ■■■■ right dangerous…maybe the explosion had something to do with the hot sunny weather we were having…something to do with expansion in the heat…and thank whoever the driver escaped without serious injury…along with all the other motorists/truckers…could have been a lot worse…somebody told me …rob k parked a scania up behind the blazing truck…but the police moved him on… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Quite an eventful day really :open_mouth:

Organic Peroxide explosion,

M40 closed with a suicidal driver and a brewery truck.

New Orleans being no longer new

and a bridge too far in Iraq.

Along with Bob and probably many others, I have carried the worst of the worst of chemicals, Peroxides and Organics are the worst as they do unexpected things. My answer to that explosion on tuesday was the heat expanded the liquid, forcing the caps off a plastic can, all it needs then is something to feed on like the wooden trailer floor.

Oxidising agents create oxygen, Spontaneously combustible chemicals can ignite spontaneously :stuck_out_tongue: I have carried many thousands of litres of Peroxide after the factory in Warrington blew up 20 years ago.

All it needs is a few drops to be spilled onto a substance like paper or dry grass and bang, there you was! Gone

WHEELNUT; was this vehicle a FRIDGE as over here now you do not get these types of load unless you have the means to keep the goods chilled,
If it is provenby the accident investigators that the cause was overfilling of
the containers then ,I do belive that this firm will be handing some readys over for the FINE, and you must have a second unit fitted and in working condition incase the first one fails.

I didnt see this truck Pete, I was stuck in another Queue on the M40 :confused:

It looks like these were containers of finished product, ie, Bleach for the supermarkets. No doubt it would be carried in a curtain sider alongside a few oily rags and dust :stuck_out_tongue: