Cement Mixer (Tacho Exempt?)(agency Explanation)

Special Licensing for Drivers of Large Vehicles

Denis F:
Special Licensing for Drivers of Large Vehicles

Thanks for that dennis.

I have emailed vosa and described the situation. Lets see what they come back with.
I cant see what they would gain from me not putting in a tacho.
There was no exsessive driving hours or anything and getting in a driver through an agency they have to expect questions to be asked by legitimate drivers.
If they wanted something dodgy then surely they get some one in and pay cash in hand for a job done with no questions asked!
Unless they have genuinly screwed up on the regs and dont realise that they dont actually know the full facts, or is that me just being nieve.

You will need to use the Tacho. Cement mixers are not classified under the exempt vehicles category, ie Royal Mail, Military, etc so the only time you would not be required to use the tacho is when the vehicle is used entirely off road for the whole of a shift or it was classed as construction plant for the purpose of road construction, these types are both tacho and road tax exempt. If your driving it for the purpose of delivery concrete to customers then you must use the tacho.

based on a farm what colour red diesel are they using :laughing:
sorry i mean what shade of red

CM:
You will need to use the Tacho. Cement mixers are not classified under the exempt vehicles category, ie Royal Mail, Military, etc so the only time you would not be required to use the tacho is when the vehicle is used entirely off road for the whole of a shift or it was classed as construction plant for the purpose of road construction, these types are both tacho and road tax exempt. If your driving it for the purpose of delivery concrete to customers then you must use the tacho.

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong. I’ve read the VOSA info too. This type is classed as plant & is tacho exempt but I will know for sure tomorrow!

Thinking of the obvious here…

If it’s tacho-exempt, why is it fitted with a tacho head?

The chassis would have the tacho as standard as it could have been destined for any number of purposes. It would only be the different body that would make it exempt (or not)

If it is exempt then it probably wouldn’t be calibrated.

MrFlibble:
Thinking of the obvious here…

If it’s tacho-exempt, why is it fitted with a tacho head?

Why do they put them in JCB Fastracs? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

The concrete pump i used to drive had a tacho fitted but was tacho exempt, I think th eonly way to find out really is to check the tax disc and see if it has an o licence, I presume if theres no o licence then it needs no tacho and im probably starting to agree that it doesnt need one as its probably mobile plant.

red7jase:

ralliesport:
What do crane drivers need for road transport? Id think they would be in the same boat. :unamused: :unamused:

The guy did mention something about crane divers being in the same regarding Licence and drivers hours ect.

I’m feeling confused :unamused: :unamused:

As a driver a Vehicle Mounted Platform (aka Cherrypicker) I’m not sure what we’re under. I would suppose it is Domestic Hours. However, we are exempt from the 11 hour rule.

• Weight up to 3.5t use White Diesel
  • Weight above 3.5t use Red Diesel

I don’t have a HGV licence, which means I can drive anything up to 7.5t, as per normal road use. We are not required to use tachograph discs, however management are currently asking Agency Drivers to use tacho’s to keep a track on the vehicles usage.

I cannot drive anything bigger than 7.5t on public roads. I have on occasion manouvered them in the depot yard under supervision, but this is frowned upon.

You need the relevant class of licence for the vehicle size / weight.

I was told years ago that up until recently I could have driven their 72m 7 axle VMP on a normal car licence but this was updated.

jammymutt:
The concrete pump i used to drive had a tacho fitted but was tacho exempt, I think th eonly way to find out really is to check the tax disc and see if it has an o licence, I presume if theres no o licence then it needs no tacho and im probably starting to agree that it doesnt need one as its probably mobile plant.

I think all of our trucks have something like £165 a year road tax on them all. Tax disc reveals all :wink: :sunglasses:

Saratoga:
I think all of our trucks have something like £165 a year road tax on them all. Tax disc reveals all :wink: :sunglasses:

It doesn’t necessarily reveal all. My last two trucks only paid £165 a year RFL, plated at 31 tonnes, and they needed a tacho to be used as well as a C or C+E licence to drive them.

Coffeeholic:

Saratoga:

It doesn’t necessarily reveal all. My last two trucks only paid £165 a year RFL, plated at 31 tonnes, and they needed a tacho to be used as well as a C or C+E licence to drive them.

Oh sorry, I thought all normal lorries got taxed at thousands of pounds :unamused: :unamused:

Saratoga:

Coffeeholic:

Saratoga:

Oh sorry, I thought all normal lorries got taxed at thousands of pounds :unamused: :unamused:

Used to be the case but these days you can tax them quite cheaply depending on weight.

Got the day with these guys again tommorow :confused: I will check the vosa plate for any exemption and i will use a tacho and tell its just for my personal reference (unless of course the plate clearly says its exempt), hope they aren’t funny with me and think i’m being funny.
Seriously considered turning the job down but i dont want to ■■■■ the agency off as its only my 3rd job for them.