Cement Mixer (Tacho Exempt?)(agency Explanation)

Hope you got a signed timesheet ! Otherwise without a tacho how do you prove you worked there ?

red7jase:
Spent today in a cement mixer for the agency and the client assured me that the vechicle was exempt form needing to put a Tacho in, and also in the eyes of the law the vehicle was technically not even classed a HGV and you could actually drive it on a car license.

I find this very hard to believe as he also told me that fully laden it could carry upto 38 tonne :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Is this Correct?

Jase

Dipstick check required, I’d say … :unamused:

It’s construction equipment if it never leaves the site, it sets one wheel on the road and it’s an HGV 2, and gross weight is 32 tonnes on 4 axles, 26t on 3.

Was it only used on a site where you didnt go on a public road?.

I used to drive a concrete pump years ago and they were tacho exempt, £33 road tax and ran on red diesel.

Always had to put in a tacho when I was driving one

Just got off phone with the agency and they also assure me that it was excempt from a tacho because it is classed as ‘Mobile Plant and only operates within a certain distance from base’

So i guess everyday is a school day for some of the guys on here.

Thanks for your comments anyway

Jase

GV 262: Drivers’ Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe doesn’t list any exemptions for mobile plant :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I would double check with VOSA as when I was doing the mixers last year we only ran 30 mins from base max and still used a tacho - they are not mobile plant as we ran on white fuel + tax and O licence as normal

red7jase:
Just got off phone with the agency and they also assure me that it was excempt from a tacho because it is classed as ‘Mobile Plant and only operates within a certain distance from base’
Thanks for your comments anyway
Jase

:open_mouth: The agency are just after the money from the client, Contact VOSA & they will tell you the truth. At the end of the day it is your licence that is at risk noone elses.

red7jase:

If you are in doubt I would check with VOSA - but if you are being told by them that you could drive it on the road with a car licence then I wouldn’t believe anything they say, since they are talking ■■■■■■■■.

MOST of the agencies that I have worked at know less about the regs than my dog. They will believe anything a client tells them, and if they don’t know they tend to make it up to get you doing the job.

G

Dont know if it makes a difference but the mixer in question was one of those one that actually mix the cement on site and dish only what is required by the customer, it was not one with the spinning drum on the back.
just like this:

red7jase:
Dont know if it makes a difference but the mixer in question was one of those one that actually mix the cement on site and dish only what is required by the customer, it was not one with the spinning drum on the back.
just like this:

I have no Idea if it makes any difference, but I’d be very surprised if you could run at 38 tonnes on 4 axles :laughing:

New to this site but am a urtu shop steward, both your agecy and the firm are talking total bull, under no cicumstances should it be driven on the road without a tacho in.

It can be classed as mobile plant if you dont carry any product with it.

hmmm… doesnt mention it in the regs. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

What do crane drivers need for road transport? Id think they would be in the same boat. :unamused: :unamused:

Unlike the normal barrel mixers, I’m 95% sure volumetric mixers (above) are tacho exempt. They come into the same class as concrete pumps.

You need a LGV licence to drive one, not just a car licence!

ralliesport:
What do crane drivers need for road transport? Id think they would be in the same boat. :unamused: :unamused:

The guy did mention something about crane divers being in the same regarding Licence and drivers hours ect.

i am sourcing my own tacho charts so that if i get called to this job again i can put one in just for my piece of mind :smiley:

The address of the the company was based on a farm could the be using some sort of loophole where they are using agricultural exemption rules.

Keep your responses coming guys.

Mobile cranes are now classed as rigid goods vehicles and require a Cat C or Class 2 licence to drive them. I am fairly sure however than until fairly recently this was not the case, probably your mixer would have fallen into the same category.

did you look at the licence disc? if you did what taxation class was it ?

My view is
if it has a tacho in it i put a disc in
there a lot cheaper than my training was ( you can normally aquire extras where-ever you work )
the rules are very vauge on this sort of thing ( plant , not for hire, goods for your own use )
i used to drive hoists and we were told the were taco exempt but had the heads in coz they bought the chasis and cab off the shelf but i always put a disk in and wrote on the back what the machine was

Denis F:
did you look at the licence disc? if you did what taxation class was it ?

Unfortunatly not

Lesson learnt - being a newbie and all that

I can assure you I will in future.