Carnets for Switzerland

Anybody know how to do a Carnet for Switzerland. I’m running out on Friday and I’ve completely forgotten how to do them, it’s been a while!

Thanks!

iru.org/cms-filesystem-actio … wToTIR.pdf

never done one myself, we would pick up customs paperwork at euro tunnel then clear at planzer prattelen

Must pick up a manifest from the exporter, present this and the carnet at customs, prior to departure, and they should also seal the vehicle.

truckyboy:
Must pick up a manifest from the exporter, present this and the carnet at customs, prior to departure, and they should also seal the vehicle.

must of changed since i did it years ago!! just use to pick up trailer and paper work, onto ferry and straight down to basal, just give all my paper work to clearing agent there, once he had delt with it took it to customs at the boarder to clear, oh and got my tax for the truck, you will need a card for that which you’ll have to get from the swiss unless thats changed as well :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yeah, i stand to be corrected as well, and a long time since i did carnet work, but we always had to get it started in the uk by uk customs.
When i was running swiss, it was on T forms, and as you say it was straight to St Louis or Muttenz for clearance.

It also depends on what your carrying, if its exhibition goods, then its an ATA carnet, where the goods will be coming back to the uk, the carnet is a bond/guarantee, which has to be discharged or forfeit the bond ( which is usually loads of money and lots of hassle.
If i remember rightly, a carnet allows free movement between borders providing the vehicle is sealed…which however can be checked en route by customs.

Take carnet to uk customs - get stamped out of uk
at swiss border go to french customs get stamped out of eu
at swiss border go to swiss customs get stamped into swiss
get road toll card…take truck p/work with you…is easier
register card in machine
happy motoring…assume u then say go to exhibition drop off…wait 2 days then pick up again(theoretical time)
go to swiss stamp out of there
pay masses of money for road toll
go to french stamp in
job done carnet completed
enjoy
Neil

Go to swiss border, exit eu with French customs, never return, live a happier life :laughing:

truckyboy:

I have never had to go to UK customs to open the Carnet when doing Swiss but this may have been an arrangement with the consignor… on arrival in Basle (other border crossing are available) I would take the carnet to the agent and go to sleep until it reappeared then do the French and Swiss customs desks and buy the tax then go tip

Your boss will hopefully have an agent lined up who will talk you through what you need to do

Rikki-UK:

truckyboy:

I have never had to go to UK customs to open the Carnet when doing Swiss but this may have been an arrangement with the consignor… on arrival in Basle (other border crossing are available) I would take the carnet to the agent and go to sleep until it reappeared then do the French and Swiss customs desks and buy the tax then go tip

Your boss will hopefully have an agent lined up who will talk you through what you need to do

thats the way i always did it

why go to an agent atall…there is no need…all they do is do the leg work for you and you walk past the customs anyhow
they cost money
french/german and swiss customs are opposite each other at most borders
wheras costs you nothing to do
except in uk surprise surprise about £8 at dover

I have never used an agent for a carnet…for an import into swiss yes ,…but not a temporary import(ie carnet). i would really love to know what your agent actually did for his money…Also you do not need to seal your load …as long as your load matches the carnet… all is ok.

Seriously, try doing it solo it really is not hard