can`t upload

i bought one of those new fangled smart phones the other week and i took a few photos id like you all to see. ive managed to transfer them onto my computer but when i try to upload them in a new topic it just says attachment invalid.
i tried it with a photo i transfered from my camera and it works fine…whats the difference :question:

commonrail:
i bought one of those new fangled smart phones the other week and i took a few photos id like you all to see. ive managed to transfer them onto my computer but when i try to upload them in a new topic it just says attachment invalid.
i tried it with a photo i transfered from my camera and it works fine…whats the difference :question:

I get that occasionally when the file is too large. Do you use Vista and have you got a snipping tool, that works for me

commonrail:

Check that the file size is not over 2 MB, also check that the image is either gif, jpeg or png.

If it’s the file size that’s too big you may need to change the settings on your phone to take pictures of a slightly lower quality, cropping the image shouldn’t be necessary if you just lower the quality of the image either on the phone or by using an image editing program.

If you need to edit the photo’s to make them smaller or for any other reason Irfanview is a good free image editor, not as good a Photoshop obviously but it is good and it’s free :wink:

thanx for the info chaps,i`ll see what i can do :confused:

Wheel Nut:

commonrail:

I get that occasionally when the file is too large. Do you use Vista and have you got a snipping tool, that works for me

i`m on windows 7.wots a snipping tool :question: :confused:

tachograph:

commonrail:

Check that the file size is not over 2 MB, also check that the image is either gif, jpeg or png.

If it’s the file size that’s too big you may need to change the settings on your phone to take pictures of a slightly lower quality, cropping the image shouldn’t be necessary if you just lower the quality of the image either on the phone or by using an image editing program.

If you need to edit the photo’s to make them smaller or for any other reason Irfanview is a good free image editor, not as good a Photoshop obviously but it is good and it’s free :wink:

just checked 1 photo is 2mb the others are over.can i make them smaller :question:

commonrail:

Wheel Nut:

commonrail:

Windows 7 Snipping Tool

tachograph:

commonrail:

Wheel Nut:

commonrail:

Windows 7 Snipping Tool

Cheers Tacho. I use mine quite often for snipping documents as well because it lets you highlight text or write in freehand on a photo, well it does if you have a steady mouse hand. After you clip it, save it as a jpeg, you can email it direct or save it to your pictures.

Someone told me there is a similar tool in XP, maybe in paint

commonrail:

tachograph:

commonrail:

just checked 1 photo is 2mb the others are over.can i make them smaller :question:

Yes, open them in your favourite image editing program and click “Save As”, save them at a lower quality, exactly how you save at a lower quality will depend on the program you use.

If you don’t have Photoshop I would recommend Irfanview (see the link in my first post), if you have any problems let us now what program you use and we should be able to help.

It will be a matter of trial and error to get the quality and size you want but generally you will want to keep the size down for the Internet in order to help people who don’t have fast connections.

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:
Windows 7 Snipping Tool

Cheers Tacho. I use mine quite often for snipping documents as well because it lets you highlight text or write in freehand on a photo, well it does if you have a steady mouse hand. After you clip it, save it as a jpeg, you can email it direct or save it to your pictures.

Someone told me there is a similar tool in XP, maybe in paint

I have to admit that I’ve never really bothered with it because I have other programs that will take screen clippings, but it does look better than I remember so I’ll have to try it more :smiley:

think i`ve done it :exclamation: :open_mouth: does windows snipping tool do the same as irfanview :question:

commonrail:
think i`ve done it :exclamation: :open_mouth: does windows snipping tool do the same as irfanview :question:

Each to their own I suppose. I cant get on with irfanview so manage to do everything in Windows Gallery and Snipping Tool

commonrail:

No, Windows 7 Snipping Tool is basically a screen capture program that would let you crop the image, whereas Irfanview is a full blown image editing program that will let you reduce the size of the image without cropping, it also lets you edit the image in many other ways, it’s like Photoshop but not as good :wink:

tachograph:

commonrail:

No, Windows 7 Snipping Tool is basically a screen capture program that would let you crop the image, whereas Irfanview is a full blown image editing program that will let you reduce the size of the image without cropping, it also lets you edit the image in many other ways, it’s like Photoshop but not as good :wink:

Snipping tool will reduce the size (file size) of the image without cropping it.

Display a picture in picture viewer then use the snipping tool to snip the entire picture. When you save that jpg it will be less than 200Kb as the snipping tool saves at a lower quality and picture viewer may be displaying the image at less than 100%, depending on your screen size. It’s a quick way to resize the image and reduce the file size

I just tested it with a 12.4Mb photograph and the snipped jpg was 165 kb. If I open that image in PS or Irfanview, reduce the dimensions and save it out at a medium quality it will be around 3Mb.

where do i get a snipping tool :question: ta

commonrail:

Comes with Windows 7 and Vista.

Coffeeholic:
Snipping tool will reduce the size (file size) of the image without cropping it.

Display a picture in picture viewer then use the snipping tool to snip the entire picture. When you save that jpg it will be less than 200Kb as the snipping tool saves at a lower quality and picture viewer may be displaying the image at less than 100%, depending on your screen size. It’s a quick way to resize the image and reduce the file size

I just tested it with a 12.4Mb photograph and the snipped jpg was 165 kb. If I open that image in PS or Irfanview, reduce the dimensions and save it out at a medium quality it will be around 3Mb.

I don’t doubt that works but I just don’t see the point of using two programs and having to snip the image when you can open the image with Irfanview and immediately save it again to the required quality or file size :confused:

But if you’re happy to go to that trouble and give up all control of the image to the Snipping Tool then that’s a good method :smiley:

As Wheel Nut said, each to their own I suppose :wink:

commonrail:

Click the “Start” button in Windows 7 and type “Snipping Tool” in the search box.

Or go:

Start/Accessories/Snipping Tool.

tachograph:

Coffeeholic:

I don’t doubt that works but I just don’t see the point of using two programs and having to snip the image when you can open the image with Irfanview and immediately save it again to the required quality or file size :confused:

But if you’re happy to go to that trouble and give up all control of the image to the Snipping Tool then that’s a good method :smiley:

For quick forum posts it is quicker than opening the image in an editing program. Click image and instantly open in viewer, click Snipping Tool, drag box, click save. three clicks and a drag, job done. When I want more control for other things then I mostly use Lightroom and occasionally Photoshop.

My snipping tool lives in the Start panel just below my Firefox logo, no need to faff about with accessories now.

Coffeeholic:
For quick forum posts it is quicker than opening the image in an editing program. Click image and instantly open in viewer, click Snipping Tool, drag box, click save. three clicks and a drag, job done. When I want more control for other things then I mostly use Lightroom and occasionally Photoshop.

I can’t agree with that, Irfanview opens very quickly and is easy to set the required quality control, in fact for anyone not doing much editing the quality control can be left set as required.

Use one program instead of two and no dragging to select the image, seems easier and quicker to me.

I use Photoshop myself but for someone wanting a freeware quick and easy way to do simple jobs like resizing images without a big learning curve Irfanview is ideal.

Wheel Nut:
My snipping tool lives in the Start panel just below my Firefox logo, no need to faff about with accessories now.

You could also pin it on the task bar if you use it a lot :wink: