Can pass test, but what about the rest?

Hello. Another post. Passed my class 2 a few weeks ago but not started driving yet. Have signed with a few agencys and all the questions asked about experience, certificates and extra licences really suprised me as to how little i know about the actual job part of driving. Such as rope and sheet, strapping, containers, tipping etc, etc.
Whilst i cant complain about my driving tuition. its a shame that some places do not introduce you to other aspects of the job in a safe, supervised, low pressure environment, though i suppose its a case of time and money, or is there no call for this training as people are expected to learn from others bit by bit and hope that "the others " actually know how to do it properly…

There is one TruckNET member who provides this very service. Have a look at http://www.truckdriving.co.uk/. I have plans myself (having also recently passed my Category C test) to spend a week with him to learn a bit about the actual job.

Paul

Hello Paul, you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding the position that people find themselves in after passing their test. As Repton has pointed out I’ve recently set up a new type of driver training scheme that I feel address this age old problem.

If you have a look on my website www.truckdriving.co.uk you will get the general idea of the type of training I’m able to offer. But to be a bit more specific I’ll tell you about Jed.

He contacted me a couple of weeks ago to enquire about the training. He passed his class one test 8 years ago but then hit the next hurdle of trying to find employment as a newly qualified driver. After a while he gave up trying. More recently he took a 4 hour refresher course with a local training school in Manchester. Then he tried again with the agency. The best they were able to offer was a trip out with a Wincanton driver to see what the job was all about. Unfortunately this got him little further in achieving his goal, but it made him realise how ill prepared he was for the industry.

He started a five day training course with me this Monday morning. As you will appreciate we got off to very steady timid start but we still landed at our first drop at a child’s nursery in Dewsbury at 7.45. I deliver and collect storage containers (20’ shipping type) to builder’s sites and the like around North, South and West Yorkshire. Typically the place where they wanted was very tight and litted with hazards such as parked cars, gateposts and the like, so we swapped over until I nipped in and dropped the container off. 15 minutes later and back in the drivers seat with a little more experience we set off to do the next job in Heckmondwyke. Back to the yard to collect one for Leeds another one for Shipley before collecting one from Bradford. As the day went on I could see his confidence grow.

One of the disadvantages Jed had was he didn’t know any of the area’s I worked in but it did teach him how to look for the tell tale signs of the hazards ahead. Tight bends, steep hills, low bridges the list goes on. He also realised the difference it made putting a load on the back of the truck and the difference it not only made to the acceleration of the wagon but also more importantly the deceleration and stopping distance. He now realised the importance of reading the road ahead and the importance that planning his drive made. He also realised that as a new driver 95% of the time he would be on unfamiliar roads.

Tuesday went much better for Jed, he now had the confidence to attempt the tight spots I have to get the truck into. On only one occasion did I do the final positioning of the truck… He realises the importance that fuel efficiency has and also vehicle sympathy. At 10 years old my FL6 needs a driver that can achieve every bit of power the 180 HP engine can deliver without causing any undue pressure on the driveline of the truck…

Today we have been able to make good progress all day. The hesitancy Jed was showing earlier in the week has all but disappeared. He’s given me a good progressive driving standard and things like commanding a good position on the road without crossing the line of using the size truck to bully his way through hazards. This evening he brought the truck back from Newmillerdam, over the top of Wolley Edge services, through Flockton towards Grange Moor, Kirkheaton and dropping down into Cooperbridge and back over to Brighouse. It may not mean much to you if you don’t know the area but if you do you will realise that this route is not ideal for HGV’s it’s all up hill down dale on roads that are very narrow in places. On inspection of his tachograph he covered the journey in 39 minutes. On inspection of one of my tachograph charts the same journey took 36 minutes. Minimal difference between a driver with 17 years experience and a driver with 3 days experience.

We have covered the importance of vehicle checks right down to how to wheel tap a motor to ensure the security of the wheels, he now knows not only how to fill out a tacho but also how to ensure he is working within the legislation and also how to use the drivers hour guard not only to double check his calculations, but so that it’s one less thing to worry about.

We have a couple of days left and I’m confident by the end of the week Jed would be up to a good standard and hopefully in a much more employable position. He will be able to drive a HGV defensively yet progressively making sure that the next employer that gives him the chance knows Jed understands everything from fuel efficiency to customer relations with a whole heap of vehicle sympathy and cracking on with the job thrown in to boot. As he said to me tonight he’s amazed at the amount he has learnt in the time he’s spent with me compared with the 4 hour refresher course he took with a traditional training school in Ancoates. The fact that the price of both the 4 hour ‘proper training’ and his 55 hour+ of on the job training were very comparable was amazing, in fact in his own words the £175 he paid for the STS Training was for “FOR NOW’T”. Now as a Yorkshireman and coming from a Manchurian, I took that a great compliment :unamused: :wink:

Anyway, that’s the general idea Paul. I don’t know where your from but if you fancy a week in Yorkshire I can either get you the name of some decent cheap digs or if you fancy having 5 nights out in the truck just to ensure the training is as authentic as it possibly can be give me a shout.

Phil

This is why you shouldn’t always go with the cheapest price to obtain your license when looking for a training school.
Although when I took my HGV many years ago it was paid for by the city council’s employment program they sent me to a training school that put me though my HGV and also had there own employment agency, so whenever they wanted me to go on a new job that I had know idea what I was doing I was giving the necessary training before I started the new assignment.
Sometimes it pays to spend a little more money and do a little more research. I have seen to many new drivers dropped in the deep end and screwed up as a result.

Bully

marlow:
Hello Paul, you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding the position that people find themselves in after passing their test. As Repton has pointed out I’ve recently set up a new type of driver training scheme that I feel address this age old problem.

Phil

<Snipped!!>

What a salesman - I’m reaching for my cheque book as I type :smiley:

Sounds like just the ticket Marlow. Do you do discount for older drivers?? :smiley: :smiley:

gardun:
Do you do discount for older drivers?? :smiley: :smiley:

sure, as long as your aged over 90 and you bring both your grand parents :wink: