Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Ray Smyth:
Turnbulls of Leeds Scania.

Turnbull of Leeds brings back memories. Going into Leeds from Wetherby direction, you couldn’t miss their office & I cannot remember the Managing Directors name but I met him several times when he came up to Newcastle to visit our local BAR meeting. In their day they were the market Leaders for removals in Leeds and now like so many of us, they’ve gone.

Carl Williams:

Ray Smyth:
Turnbulls of Leeds Scania.

Turnbull of Leeds brings back memories. Going into Leeds from Wetherby direction, you couldn’t miss their office & I cannot remember the Managing Directors name but I met him several times when he came up to Newcastle to visit our local BAR meeting. In their day they were the market Leaders for removals in Leeds and now like so many of us, they’ve gone.

Hello Carl
The Turnbull family are no longer around but the Turnbull name is still alive…the Turnbull name now belongs to Mc Carthys of Leeds it’s part of the Britannia group through McCarthys on there site in Leeds.
I was up there a couple of weeks ago collecting groupage for BMI…I took this photo in the yard where Britannia Turnbulls are based along with its parent company McCarthys.
They have a fantastic operation there for both companies together on the one site at Education Street.

Ray Smyth:
Pages found on Bootle History Forum from a trade directory on Merseyside from long ago.
Some of the older chaps on this thread will remember some of these companies.
The firm of S & R Smyth is shown in the 3rd picture, but as far as I know, they are no
relation to me despite the fact that I have the same name, and as a young lad, I lived
quite near to their depository and office in Liverpool.

Ray Smyth.

Hello Ray,
Lovely article and adds…there a lot of removers there in the Liverpool area at this time…I remember FC Morgan they were still around in the 80s…I’m not sure if John Mason took them over …I also remember Abram & Mitchell also went to S & R Smyth on a few occasions.

Wow Love the adverts Ray .

X1HVJ and X5HVJ on pack and load in to storage over two days in Burnham -on sea today and tomorrow ,Night out tonight .

When we decided to get X5HVJ named “the Guvnor” out of the warehouse ,where she was parked up for 5 years ,i was a bit apprehensive as this was dads last van before he died ,and was not sure it was worth it ,but to be totally honest ,she is out most days and comes in handy for us , my lad loves driving her and it never hammers her and washes her all the time . :laughing:

Parked up for the night,x5 and x1 in BURNHAM ON SEA .

89227966_200415281227768_3017553252330766336_n (1).jpg

JAKEY:
Parked up for the night,x5 and x1 in BURNHAM ON SEA .

Hi Steve ,who is doing the stripper routine in the shot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: vehicles looking good mate couple of pints last night were you on the sea front

Hello John , Was not me mate , The stripper is Chris (new porter) ex Charles Wood and sons euro driver/porter , took him on at the start of the year ,settled in very well.

Dodge.

thats a nice advert Dean.

JAKEY:

:wink:

Advert from 1966.

Click on page twice.

"the hoff "on locals again

Hi lads,is this virus effecting your work ,I was out wed night down Falmouth ,we struggling big time 8 drivers off loads backing up which we can’t get out I’m expecting a couple more o phone in sick,the hoffs looking good nice looking area mate

Hello John , we very busy at the moment and people seam to be panic getting the quotes in !!! f f s :unamused: ,but i got 6x quotes today and 2x tomorrow :open_mouth: , very busy next week and i have got all payments in ahead !! No payments no turn up !! its getting silly .

Saw this still out working

robthedog:
Saw this still out working

Not suprised to see this 814 still doing her duty…in my opinion one of the best 7.5s i ever drove…after driving the TKs…TLs …the D series . …Cargo’s and the Leyland Terrier’s back in the day then driving the 814 it was like driving a luxury car.

Nice pic robthedog.

DEANB:

JAKEY:

:wink:

Advert from 1966.

Click on page twice.

Lovely articles once again Dean.

Walkers of Birmingham another company no longer with us…ran a lot of D series to.

JAKEY:
Hello John , we very busy at the moment and people seam to be panic getting the quotes in !!! f f s :unamused: ,but i got 6x quotes today and 2x tomorrow :open_mouth: , very busy next week and i have got all payments in ahead !! No payments no turn up !! its getting silly .

Hi Steve,
Are you getting requests from customers to wear masks ?

We are .