Bit of a quandry

Have been working for an agency for a few months,Since January work has been very thin on the ground,so I decided to apply for a fulltime job …as a bus driver.

Today was my first days training(well didnt do any driving,just sat in a classroom) .I knew I would be required to work some weekends but didnt realise how many per month I would be expected to…3 out of 4 :open_mouth:

Now if I was still married it wouldnt be a problem, but being divorced and only seeing my kids at the weekend, it will be.
Now, work through the agency has picked up over the last few weeks ,and thanks to the new regs, it will hopefully continue for the forseeable future.

Here is my problem.Part of the contract with the bus company is that if I leave within the first year I would be expected to pay £1000 towards the cost of my training.I am assuming as I havent actually done anything yet ,that wont apply to me?? Obviously if they said it would I would stay and just fail the test repeatedly :smiling_imp: .

Should I stay or should I go??It could be the case that I would be working earlies and be finished at 2pm which wouldnt be so bad, but it could also be that I would be working 10am-8pm,which apparently is the worst shift, and not many people would be prepared to swap ONTO that shift.

Tell 'em you’ve got a domestic & get back to the agency & when it gets really desperate become that bus driver ( once more ) The idea is to make money & spend as much time as poss. with the kids.
Hope this helps.

They cant expect to get £1000 for 1 day, just tell youv changed your mind.

Think I will jack it in , TBH if it wasnt for the problem of working at weekends (or so many of them)I would be quite looking forward to it .Still, only another 4 or 5 years and my kids probably wont want to spend every weekend with me :smiley: or should that be :cry:

Definitely a :cry: !!!

These days companies have to give people’s domestic circumstances consideration. If you were a single mother they’d have to do it. I don’t see why your case is any different. If you fancy the job tell them how it is, if you don’t like the answer tell them to do one!

If they say you owe em’ a grand, tell them to come and get it…they’ll soon give up.

I work for a small in haulage but big in business company. They paid for and put me through my LGV tests. My boss said before I did it hed like me to stay once id done my tests, he said he could not force me to stay or sign and contract to force me to stay as it would not be worth the paper it was written on. They had paid for another lad to do his a couple of years earlier but he promtly left, they tried at that time to get money back but could not even with a contract of sorts.
Id say get out now!

hammer:
These days companies have to give people’s domestic circumstances consideration. If you were a single mother they’d have to do it. I don’t see why your case is any different.

Thats spot on. He could always take the job and spring it on them after the trial period :smiley:

there is also a european law that for once is a benefit…

if a company for an employee training it is for the companys benefit, and the employyee cannot be tied into time contracts or forced to re pay the dosh…

My TM told me this, as when they paid for my hgv they wanted me to sign someting similar but the companys solicitors told them that it could not be done…

gotta be worth searching google for.

after one day in the classroom you are NOT trained,only when you pass the test will you be expected to pay it back,normally if you leave within 2 years.

read all the paperwork you have been given,also speak to the union rep if they have one,they may help,but dont hold your breath.

something to give serious consideration to is the amount off aggro you get when doing the routes,drunks,druggies,school kids,late nights,and when running late(it does happen)you will get the biggest earfull youve ever had,and a huge que when working the fare stages,amount to charge(even if its fixed),and prams that wont fit anywhere on the bus,bawling kids that dont shut up,smokers that wont put it out.

went back to driving buses in 2003 after being away from it for 17 yrs and lasted 3 Months,even nowing what the job involved,soon got out and didnt pay the training,(in house)£600.

you could try travelling on some buses in your area,to see if you like or dislike what you see,remember you will be the driver and put yourself in their shoes.

mark croft:
after one day in the classroom you are NOT trained,only when you pass the test will you be expected to pay it back,normally if you leave within 2 years.

read all the paperwork you have been given,also speak to the union rep if they have one,they may help,but dont hold your breath.

something to give serious consideration to is the amount off aggro you get when doing the routes,drunks,druggies,school kids,late nights,and when running late(it does happen)you will get the biggest earfull youve ever had,and a huge que when working the fare stages,amount to charge(even if its fixed),and prams that wont fit anywhere on the bus,bawling kids that dont shut up,smokers that wont put it out.

went back to driving buses in 2003 after being away from it for 17 yrs and lasted 3 Months,even nowing what the job involved,soon got out and didnt pay the training,(in house)£600.

you could try travelling on some buses in your area,to see if you like or dislike what you see,remember you will be the driver and put yourself in their shoes.

Glad i work in the rural areas,the nearest i come to city work is lincoln or scunthorpe,lol.
We are lucky as we dont have that much hassle,think i,ll stay in the area i am . :slight_smile: