Best sim for tablet

I have recently purchased a 7in tablet for use out on the road for maps , traffic updates and sat nav`s , can anyone with knowledge and experience of these tablets recommend the best network .

What os

alix776:
What os

Its a Nexus android 7in tablet , thanks in advance for your help .

I’ve been on 3 for about 6/7 years, no complaints for Internet coverage.

ive been on 3 for years . unlimited everything .

but i notice banner ads at top for giffgaff £20 for everything .

dont know if it will work in tablet but looks good value

GiffCrap is rubbish for data, plus normal sims won’t work in tablets - needs to be a more expensive “Data Sim”.

I would recommend Three all day long, but not sure on data costs. Can you not tether from your phone? If you have an android phone and an android tablet, it should work, even if tethering is not allowed as it is requesting the same type of data.

If you are out of contract with your (smart)phone, get a Three unlimited everything SIM. I pay £27/month, unlimited calls, text, data… and I can use 8GB for tethering/hotspot - perfect for connecting a tablet to the net with. Can also use it abroad. Just don’t watch ■■■■ ALL day, or you’ll burn through that 8GB quicker than 20s in a strip joint :laughing:

There’s a tendency for some networks to put a capping limit on tethering, so I’d check out the detail before committing to any network

EE by far the best iv had very good 4g coverage always able to watch net flix . Go pay (fas u go (free sim ) every cpl of months they do a deal if you credit the sim with £10 they give you 100 gb ( or which ever the big ones are ) pm for two months . So really £5 pm . You have to watch for the deal the last one you had to top up £10 and text Christmas100 . They will keep telling you to top up or your credit runs out just ignore the Text as as it don’t and don’t top up till the next deal is on .im with EE on my phone too and have 20 gb of data on that so I tether to that if thers a gap in offers .i found gifgaf (O2) not very good and slow 4g and Vodafone just ok

Re: Netflix
If anyone is interested, it’s possible to get legit Netflix for as little as £2.50/month, or £3.90 for HD 2 screen & mobile membership. *note to mods, this is legitimate
Because Netflix (worldwide) charge local/regional prices according to the country the membership is taken out (Columbia being the cheapest, with Brazil at £3.90).
blog.ozbargain.com.au/2015/how-t … o_d1ezfVR4 (prices in $Aus)
If you don’t have a VPN at home to set it up, there’s an Aussie site called getflix (getflix.com.au) which explains it better. They also let you have a 14 day free trial VPN. All you do is setup a cheap Netflix membership in the country of choice, then use that legit login to login to Netflix UK. For example you are then billed at local prices ie: Brazil =22.90 B lira/month (£3.90), which you pay via PayPal etc.
Once you have the foreign Netflix account setup using a VPN/getflix, then you can use UK Netflix without a VPN

*It exploits Netflix’s ability to use your membership worldwide on mobile devices.

Can confirm the above. If you were using a VPN from the UK to watch Netflix in another country such as watching Netflix USA then its a bit questionable as its all a grey area which the law hasn’t caught up in but by watching Netflix in the country you’re in without a VPN you’re squeaky clean. Netflix has no restrictions in its contract about only being able to use it in the country that you signed up from but they are getting a bit narked about people in one country watching what is available in another as it causes them problems with content providers due to regional restrictions with licensing.

Three is about as good as it gets for a cost per GB for mobile data and whilst their 4G service may not be as widespread as EE their 3G HSDPA network speeds are faster than most home ADSL broadband connections. 4G is only really of benefit downloading large files as even 3G is fast enough to stream Youtube and Netflix in full HD, the whole 4G for mobile use is a massive marketing con - 99.999% of people will never get the full benefit of it.

If you’ve got a mobile phone with unlimited data with Three its 8GB/month of tethering on a 12 month or lower contract or if you’re on a 24 month one like I am its 12GB/month. For those who go abroad you can use up to 25GB a month for no extra cost along with calls in 16 countries including France, Italy, Spain and Eire - three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

For doing Satnav/maps etc 8GB is more than plenty as they use very little data. If you use Nokia HERE Satnav with the maps downloaded on your phone/tablet and only use data for the live traffic and searching for addresses then it uses even less but either way you’ll come nowhere near close to using 8GB/month.

Depending on the satnav you download usually HGV ones the maps are stored locally anyway so would not use any data

trubster:
GiffCrap is rubbish for data, plus normal sims won’t work in tablets - needs to be a more expensive “Data Sim”.

I would recommend Three all day long, but not sure on data costs. Can you not tether from your phone? If you have an android phone and an android tablet, it should work, even if tethering is not allowed as it is requesting the same type of data.

Normal sims do work in tablets . You just can’t make a call but fine for data

peirre:
Re: Netflix
If anyone is interested, it’s possible to get legit Netflix for as little as £2.50/month, or £3.90 for HD 2 screen & mobile membership. *note to mods, this is legitimate
Because Netflix (worldwide) charge local/regional prices according to the country the membership is taken out (Columbia being the cheapest, with Brazil at £3.90).
blog.ozbargain.com.au/2015/how-t … o_d1ezfVR4 (prices in $Aus)
If you don’t have a VPN at home to set it up, there’s an Aussie site called getflix (getflix.com.au) which explains it better. They also let you have a 14 day free trial VPN. All you do is setup a cheap Netflix membership in the country of choice, then use that legit login to login to Netflix UK. For example you are then billed at local prices ie: Brazil =22.90 B lira/month (£3.90), which you pay via PayPal etc.
Once you have the foreign Netflix account setup using a VPN/getflix, then you can use UK Netflix without a VPN

*It exploits Netflix’s ability to use your membership worldwide on mobile devices.

Seems a lot of hassle to save £3 and remember your bank may charge for making a foreign currency payment on your debit card each month

Conor:
Can confirm the above. If you were using a VPN from the UK to watch Netflix in another country such as watching Netflix USA then its a bit questionable as its all a grey area which the law hasn’t caught up in but by watching Netflix in the country you’re in without a VPN you’re squeaky clean. Netflix has no restrictions in its contract about only being able to use it in the country that you signed up from but they are getting a bit narked about people in one country watching what is available in another as it causes them problems with content providers due to regional restrictions with licensing.

Three is about as good as it gets for a cost per GB for mobile data and whilst their 4G service may not be as widespread as EE their 3G HSDPA network speeds are faster than most home ADSL broadband connections. 4G is only really of benefit downloading large files as even 3G is fast enough to stream Youtube and Netflix in full HD, the whole 4G for mobile use is a massive marketing con - 99.999% of people will never get the full benefit of it.

If you’ve got a mobile phone with unlimited data with Three its 8GB/month of tethering on a 12 month or lower contract or if you’re on a 24 month one like I am its 12GB/month. For those who go abroad you can use up to 25GB a month for no extra cost along with calls in 16 countries including France, Italy, Spain and Eire - three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

For doing Satnav/maps etc 8GB is more than plenty as they use very little data. If you use Nokia HERE Satnav with the maps downloaded on your phone/tablet and only use data for the live traffic and searching for addresses then it uses even less but either way you’ll come nowhere near close to using 8GB/month.

Didn’t they say recently that they are to make it illegal for people like Netflix and other streaming firms inc bbc to stop you using there services when you travel abroad as most block there use

We use a "three " mifi unit… Does up to three devices at once and works nearly everywhere we go.
And it’s fairly cheap too ! (Cannot remember money ). So I can watch tv on the iPad !

chester1:
Seems a lot of hassle to save £3 and remember your bank may charge for making a foreign currency payment on your debit card each month

I never said you should use a bank card to make the payment, as they attract levies from the banks for foreign transactions. There are cards that don’t suffer the charges from hell. Much the same as they do while your on holiday with the family.
I admit Paypal does weight the exchange rate in favour of themselves, but any currency exchange Inc the post office does the same.
I’m only pointing out a potential loop hole that those who spend their time in a cab to entertain themselves for minimal cost

I use a company called mobidata, it costs £19.79 a month for 10gb. It uses 3s network so its a pretty good signal. If you go on their website, you can request a free datasim, you can then put it in a mifi or directly in the tablet if it has a sim slot. I use mine in an old HTC phone and turn internet sharing on. :wink:

I’m at the higher price end with ee, unlimited everything except 4g tinterweb at 10gb per month.

30 quid pm but great coverage.

Always worth looking out for special offers and better data plans.

10gb is enough for me but save your more adventurous browsing sessions for the last few days before the data renews.

I have the ee pay as you go 30 day sim 25gb but I do batter Netflix as I’ve usually 13-18 hrs been shifts if away oh the joys of retail furniture