Best route to Wrexham?

Off to sunny Wales and Wrexham in a few days time.
So far the journey plan is M25/M40/M5/M6/M54/A41/A252
Now should i use the M6 toll as i have a toll card already?

Or when i get to the end of the M54 go on to the A5 and head up that way?
Last time the sat-nav took me through Shrewsbury and around the countryside.
Great journey & scenery but added a good 30minutes to the journey.

Oh and the boss has me going in a merc van which is nice or the job would not get done in a day!!!

A5 is most relaxing and easiest route…mind the VOSA checkpoint at Nesscliffe :smiley:

Hi There,

The best I found is M25 M40 M54 head for Shrewsbury A5 and pick up the A483 to Wrexham and watch your speed, the A483 is not so thight as the A41 …

Hope this helps,

Rob :laughing:

rob.jonesno1:
Hi There,

The best I found is M25 M40 M54 head for Shrewsbury A5 and pick up the A483 to Wrexham and watch your speed, the A483 is not so thight as the A41 …

Hope this helps,

Rob :laughing:

^^^^^
That’s what I’d do, being a local an’ all that :slight_smile:

Often there are Camera vans on the A5 between the top side of Shrewsbury, through Oswestry, and up to Chirk…big wide road, but still a single carriageway.
When you get on the Chirk bypass, just after the Gledrid Cafe, you may find a van on the bridge at the top of the hill, as you go over the viaduct…
And on the A483 after it’s split with the A5 at the top of Chirk Bank is another favourite place, just before it becomes Dual Carriageway…

Have a safe journey.

Why not come off the M5 at j2, go up through Wolverhampton and get on the M54 at j2.

All these references to VOSA checkpoints and (single carriageway) speed limits suggest folks haven’t read the OP, where it is clearly stated that the journey will be made in a Mercedes van…

Roymondo:
All these references to VOSA checkpoints and (single carriageway) speed limits suggest folks haven’t read the OP, where it is clearly stated that the journey will be made in a Mercedes van…

Which vosa can still have an interest in as do the camera vans.

Better still.
Dont even bother going there,Wrexham is a ■■■■■■■■ hole.and that comes from somebody that hails from Swindon.

Depending where you are on the M25 I would consider M1 then get on the A5.

Thanks for the replies & advice.
Sadly got to go to Wrexham to pick some urgent kit & i got “offered” the day out.
I shall be sticking to the limit as the vehicle is fitted with a blackbox recording how you drive!
Lucky i’m leaving depot at 0400 so should beat the traffic in the midlands.
Will let you know how “enjoyable” it was!

Well the trip up was ok off the M54 at Jnc 3 and A41.
Way back was A5 and some great scenery.
Van was a right dog, the worst in the fleet.
And only cost them £80 in diesel.
And it was a long day!