Back Page Arrow Not Working - Is It Just Me?

Since the inception of the new board I have noticed an annoying problem.
If I am working through say, the Oldies Forum, and just clicking on the threads that I want to look at, when I want to go back and look at another thread I used to click on the back arrow, top left of the screen, and it would take me back to the Oldies list exactly where I left it.
Now, not always but usually, the back arrow takes me to a message saying ‘website not available’. The only way round this is to go to the bottom of the Oldies list and click on ‘return to the Oldies Forum’. Trouble is that takes me back to the top of the list and I have to scroll down past all those threads until I find the last one visited before I can then search for the next one I am interested in.
This all takes time and is very frustrating resulting in less and less time that I want to spend here.
A great pity.
Anybody else? Or is it just me? :confused:

works ok for me !

What OS and browser are you using ?

Spardy, I rarely use the back button so couldn’t tell you. But, I think what you describe has been mentioned before.

I have always done the following as it is much easier.

Assuming you start at the broad index, scroll down to the section you want then right click and open in new window that section then right click open in new window any threads you want to look at. That way you close the thread you were looking at and the section you want it always there.
Same with new posts, start with board index, click new posts and right click open in new window every thread you want to look at then close, and the all the new post unseen are still there.

I use Firefox and my back button works OK. But the refresh doesn’t seem to work the same. I haven’t tried it with IE since the upgrade but I also have Safari and that works OK.

I think these are just foibles with the new system, as another forum like this seems to work fine.

Not just you spardo, I’ve had the same problem and reported it as soon as I noticed it. I use OPERA browser as well as IE7, OPERA works fine.
Stu

I’m using IE7 in Vista :smiling_imp: , but I’ll try that out Dafmad and see if it improves.
Funny thing is today working my way down through Euro, Oldies, Ex-Pats - no problem at all and I thought someone had tweaked it.
Then I got to Health and the problem is back again. My last port of call these days is here and this is the first thread I’ve looked at. From all your comments it sounds like an IE thing re-acting badly with the new TN.

Yes that works Dafmad, thanks. Just seems a little long winded though when one click on the arrow used to take me back to where I was.
I’ll use it in future, it isn’t too serious as I don’t look at more than the few forums I’ve mentioned these days. :wink: :smiley:

Spardo:
I’m using IE7 in Vista :smiling_imp:

Hi Spardo, I’m afraid I’m not much of a teccy :blush:
but I had a similar problem to that which you’ve experienced, and some others such as IE7 crashing
unpredictably whenever it liked. :smiling_imp:

Now I’ve got IE8, BTW I’m still on XP, things have improved immeasurably and I’m now somewhat less likely to end up as a gibbering wreck. :grimacing:

If you’re using IE7 try clicking the links with the middle mouse button and the link should open in a new tab, so you won’t need to use the back button :wink:

tachograph:
If you’re using IE7 try clicking the links with the middle mouse button and the link should open in a new tab, so you won’t need to use the back button :wink:

Smart arse!!

Good tip though, I never knew that :open_mouth: :laughing:

Limestone Cowboy:

tachograph:

Smart arse!!

Good tip though, I never knew that :open_mouth: :laughing:

Works with Firefox too :wink:

tachograph:

I don’t have a middle button, I’m using the touchpad on a laptop these days. :unamused:

DieselDave:
Now I’ve got IE8, BTW I’m still on XP, things have improved immeasurably and I’m now somewhat less likely to end up as a gibbering wreck.

I didn’t know there was an IE8, I thought 7 was the latest, how do you get that, log on to MS? :confused:
Any downside? :frowning:

Spardo:
I didn’t know there was an IE8, I thought 7 was the latest, how do you get that, log on to MS? :confused:
Any downside? :frowning:

Hi Spardo, I got IE8 by clicking one of the buttons at the top right of the IE7 browser, but I can’t remember which one (Page, Safety or Tools) :blush: :blush:
I’m afraid I’m not very good at technicallylogical stuff and still struggling to get to grips with this new-fangled electrickery. :frowning:

I spoke to a teccy the other day and he told me that IE8 has some security issues.
I still say that I’ve had far less issues with IE8 than I did with IE7, so from that point of view, and in my own case, I’d say IE8 is much better and far more stable than IE7.
He advised me to get Firefox and promised to do this and install it for me next time he visits me.
Then he rushed off to his next job in the way that teccies do. :frowning:

dieseldave:
[

I resemble that comment. :laughing: :laughing:

Colingl:

dieseldave:
[

I resemble that comment. :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: I thought I’d get a bite from that comment. :sunglasses:
Gotcha :grimacing:

TBF, you tech guys are always very busy, but at least my guy put the two platefuls of spaghetti and strange-looking other stuff back inside my computer before he left. :smiley:

Now for a question that’s baffled mankind since computers were invented…
Why do teccies never come back when they say they’re going to??
My guy had to leave to get to his next job, so how come he didn’t come back? :smiling_imp:
:laughing: I’ll have to learn the art of the secret ‘tech’ handshake. :wink:

dieseldave:
[
My guy had to leave to get to his next job, so how come he didn’t come back? :smiling_imp:
:laughing: I’ll have to learn the art of the secret ‘tech’ handshake. :wink:

Know what you mean DD, I got a very helpful bloke round here a year or two back who said he had picked up no end of extra business since the bloke I used before had stopped answering his phone. He said send me a copy of any error messages and I’ll come back and sort it.
Still waiting. :open_mouth:

I can tell you’re a bit like me when you tell me to ‘press one of the buttons top right’ :unamused:
Strewth, what a responsibility, I could be launching the next world war if I press the wrong one. :open_mouth:
However, as it has crashed once already this morning despite uninstalling and reinstalling the WLAN wireless card :confused: at Dell’s suggestion, I may take a chance and give it a go.
BTW, Colingl, before you rush off, why since it crashed 20 minutes ago does the little green loading bar at the bottom not complete its course now? Even as I type this it has hardly started on its journey. :imp:

First thing we are taught, :wink: just like mechanics are taught to ■■■■ in air and shake their head when they start looking at a problem on your car. :laughing:

BTW, Colingl, before you rush off, why since it crashed 20 minutes ago does the little green loading bar at the bottom not complete its course now? Even as I type this it has hardly started on its journey. :imp:

Not sure, it’s one of those ones where I’d need to be in front of it to deal with it. Can you plug your lappy/PC directly into the wireless router? See if it loads faster then.

Right gotta go

[quote="Colingl

Not sure, it’s one of those ones where I’d need to be in front of it to deal with it. Can you plug your lappy/PC directly into the wireless router? See if it loads faster then.
[/quote]
That’s the trouble with computers and occasional problems, they never perform when the right person is sitting there. :smiling_imp:
I’ll try plugging in the next time it happens but at the moment it is behaving itself. :slight_smile: