Australia then and now

Still going I believe, PR. The next generation operate crane trucks on the Gold Coast.

I’d like to see that negotiating the magic roundabout at Colchester :rofl:

1 Like

That’d be an internal movement, some of our cattle stations are bigger than Nederland.

1 Like

Thanks SDU, didn’t know that

Yes, not what you’d call ‘street legal’, but @les_sylphides, easier than you might think, though perhaps not to that extent. Remember that the beauty of traditional drawbars over more modern configurations is that each tail swing also increases the outswing of the following trailer.

I admit though that in that case it is minimal because of the very short rear overhangs. :smiley:

A tasty morsel for SDU (yes, I know it’s not a truck, but still):

And yes it is my (crap) photo and yes it does exist.

Leyland Force 7, did you stumble across it, or do you know the owner?
I know of a P76 wagon, a late friend built it using an XA/B/C roof.

Never seen 1 before are they exclusive to Australia?

They weren’t a bad car, for the day, in typical Leyland head office fashion, murde red.

https://youtu.be/-Bi5mwfW2Ms?si=YlMNijMOhITQJko8

Correct, it’s a Force 7. As common as hen’s teeth, from memory they only made 50-odd.

I stumbled upon it. I turned left out of one of my regular drops and as I looked up the road, about 400 yards away I saw something that looked very P76 (the front end is distinctive) turning right into an industrial outfit. Anyway, 10 minutes later, I saw this very thing parked outside another regular drop and at first I couldn’t make heads or tails of it - the prow of a P76 and … and not the saloon (sedan) at the back. I think Leyland (Australia) made 50-something of these and given how '70s car rot…

1 Like

Yes, the P76 was Leyland (Australia) trying to take on Holden, Ford (AU) and Chrysler (AU). It’s a fascinating (if predictably disappointing) story: Review : Leyland P76 - AROnline

Did you get the other crap Leyland were producing in the 70s Allegro , Marina ,Princess , Maxi how did Leyland fail i wonder?

We had Mini K, Moke and Austin Tasman and Kimberly.
I believe the larger wheels, wind down windows and automatic transmission on the Mini/Moke, were all developed in Zetland, Sydney.

Were other European manufacturers active in Australia in the early mid 70s. BMW Mercedes VW Volvo Saab etc?

All of them, Ramone. However, thanks to the protecive taxes and the Australian mindset toward anything “exotic”, they were very much luxury cars.
In 1975 half the cost (au$6,300) of a Volvo 244 was tax.

As far as I know (I was imported into Oz in 1988) UnZud got many more typical British (including BL) cars than Australia. Nonetheless, both the Cortina and the Marina reached here, albeit much modified: see Iain Seagrove aka Hubnut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpBCJJ3TFbc

And https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KgIJmrCpq0

Australia never got the Princess but it did get its predecessor, the 1800 aka the Landcrab. If anyone remembers Gavin Green (ex-editor of CAR magazine), his Dad Ewan campaigned a Landcrab all the way from London to Sydney in 1968(?). BLMC (BL) wasn’t utter ■■■■, it just lacked back-up and investment, hence the failure of Leyland (AU). As SDU mentions, Leyland (AU) developed their own models including the P76, the Tasman and the Kimberley.

The Beetle was locally assembled in Oz and (I think) NZ, as were Typ2 and Typ3. I can tell a European '65/ '66/ '67 VW Typ1 from an Oz/NZ one because Oz/NZ was still using the pre-'65 body.

So similar to the lorries then and modified to the local needs. I’ve always ran Volvo i think 20 altogether but did lapse for a month last year when i bought and old 320 CLK. It soon went though.

Fancy this popping up in my feed.

@parkroyal2100 Andrew Cowan won the London to Sydney Marathon, in a Hillman Hunter.
The support crew for theAustin 1800 drove a Leyland Boxer, that serious consideration was given to entering separately. I don’t recall why it didn’t eventuate, logistics, budgetary.