Australia then and now

Nah he wouldn’t drive a Robin unless it had a V12 in it

Then he’d wake up and still find himself in his own bed.

How does this compare with what is available there, pricewise and spec?
70 tonne is B double capable, are your versions that heavily specced, or had Paccar made them for our market?

A lot of UK and Euro operators have the Super Space Cab not the smaller sleeper shown there.

Diff locks standard I think.

The Auto-box was pretty much standard from about that time. Talking to the local dealer they were very reluctant to supply manual boxes.
Some of it was about planned maintenance and guarantees. A well looked after manual will outdo an auto, but a muppet can wreck a manual quickly.

Exhauster only? The DAF engine brake is better than a standard exhaust brake, and in our fleet they were all fitted with that.
The DAF intarder was a fantastic bit of kit. More expensive but combined with a manual box and a standard exhauster made the service brakes almost unnecessary.

Air is pretty standard on all non-steer axles.

1 Like

Yeah the one i had was a 2010 we got brand new a cancelled order. It was a 150 ton unit with diff and cross locks , engine brake hub reduction axles but the 460 engine and 16 speed ZF manual. They are available up to 530 here. They were available with a Cummins at one point. Are the new ones available over there now? I didn’t mind the old Daf but many refused to drive it (remember the number plate snobbery). I think in manual form they are a decent motor with a decent cab and that cab goes back to around 1988. They are always cheaper than the Swedes but Scania certainly , are lacking the quality in the cabs since they were taken into the MAN fold. Just my opinion

1 Like

40,000 lb diffs are pretty light by our, modern standards.
The space cab is relatively rare here, DAF being aimed at fleet buyers and not generally bought for “decent distance work”.

Compared to the other european standard offerings the Daf space cab was probably as good as any but again it’s down to the individual , i remember quite a few years ago we had a small fleet of 5 or 6 Scania 113s/124s and we got a wide cab Actros on demo and one driver said he would leave before driving it , i just shook my head and walked away . Maybe he knew what Mercs were going to become without the hindsight

I didn’t know about a big export lorry engine. I think there was a big marine engine though.

Rowena

Agreed.
For my money the early 2000 Super Space Cabs were better than the later ones. They had more storage space and didn’t suffer from water running down from the roof that the later ones did.
Agree also the ZF 16v speed was a good box. As quick as any synchro box, and as long lived.
I found the steering on later models to be much worse too, but I think was down to tyre choice in truth.
Mine was a 4 wheeler on Euro work, and the 12T axle was OK in multi drop/collection work when it was “on the limit” on occasion.

Something a little different here, a sugar cane farmer built this one off in Burdekin far North Queensland, built on a 1976 Ford 350 chassis he used an straight 8 Gardener engine that came out of a sugar cane train and hand crafted the ally bodywork, bet its a beast to drive, Buzzer

nmp’s

1 Like

A well known phrase involving nuts and sledgehammers springs to mind.

But if he enjoyed making it etc then fair play to him.

Wheels, hubs and chassis look more robust than F350, maybe F500.
Of course it could be a total bitza.

EDIT:
More information to follow, hopefully. I know a bloke who knows a bloke.

Would this be Australian or New Zealand or even South Africa … how on earth did those Americans get a foothold in Australia with these gems being offered ?

Can’t remember exactly, but I think En Zed. That’s far from how it left Leyland’s stewardship.

NB I’m going back a bit in this thread and I’m typing off-the-cuff - errors may occur.

What with Australia being a Commonwealth country, one of Leyland (Truck and Bus) best export markets for bus chassis was Sydney. Having bought Worldmasters and so on, the then UTC (later UTA, then STA… etc.) bought hundreds of Leyland Leopard chassis (over 600, I think) with 0.600 or 0.680 and pneumocyclic boxes. In the early 70s, Sydney still wanted new Leopards but Leyland said you can have the National (10.9m export version) or nothing. Like other British colonies (Singapore, HK), Sydney UTA instead invited tenders and eventually chose M-B (the O305), and they never looked back.

That sounds like Leyland , but they weren’t wrong were they■■? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

star_down_under

6d

‘Then he’d wake up and still find himself in his own bed.’

With a damp patch! :grin:

1 Like

Great restoration

_home_hcvcorga_public_html_mainsite3_media_kunena_attachments_1804_Bell5
_home_hcvcorga_public_html_mainsite3_media_kunena_attachments_1804_Bell12
gOIP

hqdefault

Arrogance, plain and simple

Aboods were a very tidy outfit.