At last I think I've sussed it

Hiya,
Having just come of off AOL Broadband, I seem to remember that solution as being in their FAQ in the keyword help files. But they should have told you to check that before. Their so-called help desk is precisely why I left AOL, they cancelled my service without my telling them to. The only thing I will miss about leaving AOL is AOL Communicator, their Email client. Dead easy to use and a brilliant spam filter. You can use it for all your other email account. Thats a free download. keyword AOL Communicator (I think)

These links may be of use to you. One is a Broadband speed tester and the other is a tool for tweaking your broadband for faster results.
vantage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/v2/v2.htm
cybertweak.co.uk/
Both free downloads.
Good luck.

a nnn [/list]

I had the same problem with telephone cables when I first got my broadband modem. I had to cut away ‘miles’ of extention leads. Also I had a three way jack plug, and had to lose that, then get a digital landline phone, so that I had one cable only leading from my landline socket. Actually I still have a small extention lead, and broadband has permited this … otherwise, I would be typing this from the coat rack in the hallway :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

I had the same problem with AOL about extension leads being too long so had to send it back :frowning: . Since then I have upgraded my PC to a HP t770 which as a wireless thingy on it (Not an expert in PC lingo) which I’m told could help me out by using a wireless modem. So can anybody help with any advice in none PC lingo please.

I went over to broadband with AOL about six weeks ago and have since had nothing but trouble either logging on to the net or staying connected :cry: :cry:

But at last after hours of talking to the helpline both online and on the phone I think its sorted.

Ever since it has been installed I kept on getting INIT package not acknowledged as an error code with this it would log off :smiling_imp:

Sometimes as much as every two minutes :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I tried everything they suggested, this included several uninstall and reinstall procedures,replacing the filters,renewing the extension lead,waiting for nearly two weeks for a new disc to arrive in case there was a problem with the old one.

Yesterday was the final straw, having spent nearly an hour trying to log on and not getting anywhere :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

One last attempt proved successfull and I went straight on to the helpline getting ready to tell them where I was going to put their setup…and the operator tells me that they have sent an e-mail with the possible answers to the problem :bulb: :bulb:

There was about twenty different possible causes on this e-mail but the one right at the top was…

Make sure the extension lead is no more than ten metres long.

My extension lead was fifteen metres long :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So another trip to the shop for a shorter lead…five metres to be on the safe side!!!

Have been logged on all afternoon now without a problem [fingers crossed] trouble is not been able to browse much been to busy moving half the house round so as to get the computer near the extension lead :confused:

Question is, this was obviously a pre prepared e-mail so the problems are known to them, why did it take so long for them to give me the info I needed■■?

nearly a happy bunny now :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

cheers
STEVE.