ASDA Normanton

Just had a call from my new agency - looks like I have a shift at ASDA on Saturday.

Any info or tips would be appreciated.

Expect to be sat in the office for 4 hours twiddling your thumbs while you wait for a wagon/run.

And make sure you remember the number they give you when you leave the site, because they’ll ask for it again when you return and if you can’t remember it they fly off the handle at you :angry: .

The Biker:
Just had a call from my new agency - looks like I have a shift at ASDA on Saturday.

Dont spend too long looking for the bar codes when youre serving the customers :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:

Yeah, been there a few times.

Take full documents daily and fill in the forms daily.

The office looks a shambles, filing in cardboard boxes etc. If you haven’t done an induction you will need to sign in and out etc and they’ll give you vague directions. Don’t worry about doors you need to swipte through, a gentle tug and yer in.

They expect you to know the lingo so ask any drivers to help you out.

Typical day there is - Go in, sign in, wait a while, listen to the normal crap especially from other agency lads who have worked for every nightmare firm in Leeds and almost had fights with almost every TM going (you know the sort).
If you have an ambient run then get your unit, do checks etc, find trailer (usually round the back of the building) and do the do.
Your papers will have a seal attached. You open the trailer doors, check the store matches the nearest barcode label, close up, and retain both seals with you in the cab.
You drive to the exit gate, get out (engine off) and give both seals and your papers to security. They check it all off, ask you for your registration and trailer numbers, and they will then re-seal the trailer and give you your papers back. As Rob says, write down the number they give you, they use this to find which row you are on in the log book when you return.

Store maps are decent but not all accurate. The main one in Halifax sends you through narrow residentials to where an old associated dairies corner shop used to be, and you can’t see your way to the store’s gate when the store is ahead of you - so check with another driver first to be sure. Always worthwhile.

On return, if you have recycling stuff then you need to go to the big recycling centre and usually it’s drop n swap then back to base. you can see the recycling centre from the motorway (opposite side to the ambient warehouse)… If you’re empty then back to base.

If they tell you to run from CDC that’s the chilled depot which is next door to the recycling depot. So out through security, in the CDC, and ask them where to go (basically double back on yourself and round to the office for a run).
Same procedure to check out. Do the run and again if any recycling back into that depot 1st and if not then back to CDC then unit only to Ambient unless given an empty to return from recycling.

Not a bad job, reasonably simple, but nobody busts a gut to get a move on, and expect you to behave like a 20yr time served veteran of all things asda, so take your time, ask when not sure and you won’t go far wrong.

russjp:

The Biker:

Dont spend too long looking for the bar codes when youre serving the customers :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replies especially El G will let you know how it goes.

Which entrance do you use looking on the map come off a Junc 31 left then at 1st RB left then there seems to be 2 carparks on the left one next to main road the other up the side of the warehouse?

el gordo 78:
Not a bad job, reasonably simple, but nobody busts a gut to get a move on, and expect you to behave like a 20yr time served veteran of all things asda, so take your time, ask when not sure and you won’t go far wrong.

Agree with everything el gordo says but the last paragraph sums it up.

You get 15mins to check the unit over and 15 to check the trailer - make sure you take them. When the office bod gives you the delivery sheet the last thing he writes down is the time you ‘should’ leave the depot - take note and don’t leave before.

When you do a tip don’t rush and always have 10 mins afterwards for a pot of tea.

15 mins minimum to drop the trailer at the waste, and you could be there an age if it’s busy.

Always fill in the run sheet fully and at the end of the shift fill in the finish time yourself. Don’t leave it to the office bod - a couple think they’re paying you out of their own pocket.

And do listen to the ASDA drivers moaning and winging about how hard the job is. Always tickles me to listen to them complaining about one of the easiest jobs on the market.

And enjoy. If you do it right you should do 2 drops for 12 hours. :wink:

Stan

The Biker:
Which entrance do you use looking on the map come off a Junc 31 left then at 1st RB left then there seems to be 2 carparks on the left one next to main road the other up the side of the warehouse?

Take the first left after NHS distribution. Over 2 speed humps to car park… Entrance door is facing you on the building you’ve just come past. Sign in at the desk.

Stan

Stanley Knife:
And enjoy. If you do it right you should do 2 drops for 12 hours. :wink:

Stan

Blokes like you ■■■■ me off no end. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Rushing about and cutting the job up like that ! :stuck_out_tongue: 2 runs should nicely fill a 15hr spread! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the extra info Stan and Rob

Rob K:
Rushing about and cutting the job up like that ! :stuck_out_tongue: 2 runs should nicely fill a 15hr spread! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, but you’d have to go farther afield than Harrogate and Halifax. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

And don’t ever accuse me of rushing again … I’ve a reputation to uphold. :laughing: :laughing:

Stan

Asda Normanton drivers used to come into Wincanton at Maltby to backload.Mansfield was a long shift for 'em ex Normanton :smiley: and one driver - full time- told me he was sent to their RDC at Dartford and he thought he was going to fall off t’end o 't earth :smiley: .
On arrival at Maltby they’d instantly go to sleep so being the nice pleasant shunter I was :laughing: give 'em a knock when a bay was free,give 'em a knock when they got a green light and give 'em another knock when their paperwork was ready.
All good lads though and never,never,ever in a hurry.

So Biker,don’t spoil t’job :slight_smile: .