Anybody got an NVQ in Lorrying?

Part of my DCPC bull is that I am being funded to do an NVQ in Lorryism or something, not that I really care about doing it as ive managed 20 years without an NVQ,
Just wondering if anybody has an NVQ in Lorryism (or whatever they are trying to get me) and has it really improved your job prospects.

I dont wont to sound like a knob but i really dont get it, from what i gather from reading on this forum is that someone sits with you all day then at the end the guy or gal tells you if you can do your job. I’d do it but i like the music loud and they’ll have to put their feet on the dash because i keep my slings in the footwell and i aint moving them.

For my sins I have an NVQ Level 2 in Driving Goods Vehicles :blush:

Units achieved :-
☆ Driving the vehicle on public roads
☆ Driving the vehicle in restricted spaces
☆ Monitoring the loading of the vehicle by others
☆ Completing pre-driving preparations
☆ Maintaining the safety and security of the load, self and property
☆ Maintaining awareness of driving conditions
☆ Operating the vehicle systems

I know you are all very impressed :wink:

In others words. Bloke went out with me for a couple of hours and I answered some questions.

There is no pass or fail. You just do it and get a certificate.

I was also awarded a Certificate Of Achievement in General Health & Safety, Equality and Diversity.
This involved listening to another bloke reading two paragraphs from a piece of paper and asking us if we understood what he was saying.

Has it all made me a better driver? Go on. Have a guess :unamused:

I am a lorryist with an nvq. My wife who is a teacher informs me nvq is known in education circles as not very qualified.
It is a complete joke I’ve never seen a job advertised for a driver saying nvq required.
It was some government funded peice of crap.
Basically you had to keep a diary for a few weeks writing things we had done to prove we done the job crap like bulb out wrote defect and got it changed and then some bloke came out for the day with me. Can’t remember what I done with certificate wouldn’t mind if it counted to driver cpc but it don’t.

I have the NVQ2 in Lorry Driving… Pointless exercise :unamused:

Total joke, also somebody somewhere needs to come up with the definative answer as to wether it counts towards the dcpc.One lot of trainers our mob have used say it doesn`t another says it does.

There’s got to be something in it for the government. I reckon it could be to do with increasing the number of workers with “qualifications” in the UK, so that the figures look better with international comparisons. Or maybe just to employ a load of pointless NVQ assessors, in order to fudge the unemployment figures. Can’t see any reason why public money would be spent on such balls. If we couldn’t do the job, we’d get the sack, simple. If we pass an interview but make too many balls ups in a short space of time, we also get the sack!

Proof is in the pudding. What do we need NVQ’s for?

I can see why companies might want to put on their website “…with dedicated and highly qualified drivers” though :grimacing:

B1 GGK:
Part of my DCPC bull is that I am being funded to do an NVQ in Lorryism or something, not that I really care about doing it as ive managed 20 years without an NVQ,
Just wondering if anybody has an NVQ in Lorryism (or whatever they are trying to get me) and has it really improved your job prospects.

As an NVQ Assessor I have to say it is…rubbish. As stated do your job and it is in the bag. You can not fail an NVQ but can fall short of the standards and will have to be re assessed. The problem with this is most assessors are paid per completion some around £250 to £350 per folder would you back it?

The new folder is known as QCF this has more benefit as you actually have to do something for yourself to get the qualification and you have to do what is known as GLH or guided learning hours which will probably be a bank of work books. Again for most of the drivers on this site 10 minutes a night and it is in the bag.

If your an old hand the NVQ new and old is pretty much a waste of time, for young drivers just starting this is very useful to them. Forget the paperwork and GLH but they get a supposed experience driver sitting next to them and giving there experience e.g I went out with a driver who was new to the job and struggled with his reverse, i explained the way I would do it and changed his angles and he now has no trouble. Showing them how to break their day up better and how to forward plan on the road all tips and tricks tthat you don’t get in your lessons. However an NVQ is like any training or assessment, it is only as good as the trainer and the student you get out what you put in.

As for the hours counting towards DCPC at our place this would not count as we have been told that the DCPC has to be carried out off the job but the NVQ is on the job. But if the QCF NVQ is being taught in the classrom (the guided learning hours) then your provider may have had this passed by JAUPT and Edxcel.

i have an NVQ in lorrying. in fact i have it twice… i took it the second time in order to qualify for funding towards my dCPC. i have a nice ring binder with all the ‘work’ in it that occaisionally drops off the top bunk when i’m bouncing around on site.

manowar:
There’s got to be something in it for the government. I reckon it could be to do with increasing the number of workers with “qualifications” in the UK, so that the figures look better with international comparisons. Or maybe just to employ a load of pointless NVQ assessors, in order to fudge the unemployment figures. Can’t see any reason why public money would be spent on such balls. If we couldn’t do the job, we’d get the sack, simple. If we pass an interview but make too many balls ups in a short space of time, we also get the sack!

I can see why companies might want to put on their website “…with dedicated and highly qualified drivers” though :grimacing:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there an NVQ for a lorry is a level 2 which is a GCSE grade A* - C. This makes the country look clever. Is it to just employ pointless NVQ assessors no as we could become full time drivers if this does not work :smiley:

timmo:
i have an NVQ in lorrying. in fact i have it twice… i took it the second time in order to qualify for funding towards my dCPC. i have a nice ring binder with all the ‘work’ in it that occasionally drops off the top bunk when i’m bouncing around on site.

Did you do the exact same NVQ twice? if so I am not sure and stand to be corrected but I think that is illegal as the company would have already claimed funding for you once so how can they do it again for the same course? if it is a different NVQ that is different.

Again i,m not sure if you are getting funding for the DCPC as such, what is probably happening is the training provider will be getting around £1500 per folder, so they will draw the funding then they will put a portion of that to one side and give you a session or 2 of DCPC. if your lucky you will get it all.

Long distance clara:

manowar:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there an NVQ for a lorry is a level 2 which is a GCSE grade A* - C. This makes the country look clever. Is it to just employ pointless NVQ assessors no as we could become full time drivers if this does not work :smiley:

Fair enough. I still feel better after a good rant though :laughing:

manowar:

Long distance clara:

manowar:

Fair enough. I still feel better after a good rant though :laughing:

We have all got to get it off our chest sometimes :smiley:

Long distance clara:

timmo:
i have an NVQ in lorrying. in fact i have it twice… i took it the second time in order to qualify for funding towards my dCPC. i have a nice ring binder with all the ‘work’ in it that occasionally drops off the top bunk when i’m bouncing around on site.

Did you do the exact same NVQ twice? if so I am not sure and stand to be corrected but I think that is illegal as the company would have already claimed funding for you once so how can they do it again for the same course? if it is a different NVQ that is different.

Again i,m not sure if you are getting funding for the DCPC as such, what is probably happening is the training provider will be getting around £1500 per folder, so they will draw the funding then they will put a portion of that to one side and give you a session or 2 of DCPC. if your lucky you will get it all.

the first time was with christian salvesen. it was just the NVQ as the dCPC hadn’t been invented. the second time was for the company i am at now. as i understand it, you have to do the NVQ in order to get the funding for the dCPC, which i have completed one module of. i did explain to them that i have an NVQ but they were unconcerned. both NVQ’s are exactly the same and are just as useful as each other.

did my nvq this time last year, all that happened was i had a bloke come out with me for the day, all he really wanted to know was where was we stopping for breakfast and lunch :smiley:

Careful with all this further education talk, Miss Stevens will be along shortly to definitively inform all.

We got them given as well :unamused: Mines a NVQ Level 3 in Driving Goods Vehicles

Complete waste of time. I had an assesor with me for 2 hrs, paperwork HE had filled in the night before. All he did was film me doing daily checks,manouvering. He then needed me to sign some additional paperwork, but i had left the company by then, so he made a 40mile round trip to “see” me ,to get the signature. When i said he must be keen, he admitted it was all a waste of time , but my signature was worth £250 to him. He had done at least 50 nvq,s at my former company alone , so do the maths££££££££.

ive got 1, got it free when i signed up with a driver agency, who never gave me 1 shift.
Pointless having it, the fella admitted it was just a money making scam again. Looks nice on my bog wall tho :smiley:

i did mine when i was at the co-op… as part of doing it the collage, gave us a free upskill… class 1 drivers chose moffet course… se were given money off hiab courses
as a class 2 driver i was given £400 towards a class 1 training!! :laughing:

seems like from whats said above this doesnt happen anymore…

oh i almost forgot, i also managed to blag a students union card out of it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: discount everywhere :slight_smile: