Another 'towing-will-I-need-a-tacho' post

Yes, I have searched but wherever the info is hiding, I’m not finding it.

Question is: will a company hiring out equipment for hire, towing with an L200 or Nivara with trailers (max 18ft), driven by an employee of the company, need a tacho and therefore an operator’s license (perhaps just the restricted one)?

The trailer is not likely to be over 3t gross. Delivery goes well beyond any distance exemption. Their main business is supply and repair of equipment, with hire on the side.

The reason I ask is that this company has asked me to cover for one of their own guys whilst he recovers from a badly broken leg and pelvis! Thing is, when I brought up the question of tachos they fed me the line about it being a grey area. Now, this company has been running for a long time and I very much doubt they have never seen a VOSA/DVSA prohibition. Could it be that they are just chancing their luck, and dealing with any such issues when they arise?

Any confirmation/info would be helpful, thanks.

As far as I’m aware as long as the trailers unladen weight is less than 1020kg and the transport for the item itself is not hire or reward (i.e. they’re not paying you to move their tat from a to b) then you’ll need a tacho but no O-licence.

No o-licence whether hire or reward or own account, provided L200 or Navara are double cab versions, as benefit from dual purpose vehicle o-licence exemption for any towing.

Will need a tacho for anything except private use.

If you do drive it without a tacho keep a written log book of your hours and it would minimise any liability on you if pulled.

Almost:
The reason I ask is that this company has asked me to cover for one of their own guys whilst he recovers from a badly broken leg and pelvis! Thing is, when I brought up the question of tachos they fed me the line about it being a grey area. Now, this company has been running for a long time and I very much doubt they have never seen a VOSA/DVSA prohibition. Could it be that they are just chancing their luck, and dealing with any such issues when they arise?

No grey area, they need a tacho. If you ever watch that car restoration show on Nat Geo Car SOS with Fuzz Townsend in it the pickup he uses with the twin axle trailer they use to collect cars has a tachograph fitted which is being used in some of the shots I’ve seen.

I sometimes jump into our Pickup truck to deliver a towable unit. Tacho is fitted and we have to use it.

That’s the confirmation I was after. Much appreciated guys, thanks for your time.

Take care.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … owners.pdf
Its for horse trailers but the same applies across the board

Its just a pick up truck with a trailer on the back, no different to pulling a twin wheel caravan…didnt know about tacho regulations affecting that, more for over 3.5 ton…and as the op said no more than 3 tons, surely its exempt.

truckyboy:
Its just a pick up truck with a trailer on the back, no different to pulling a twin wheel caravan…didnt know about tacho regulations affecting that, more for over 3.5 ton…and as the op said no more than 3 tons, surely its exempt.

for commercial purposes the laws come into force when the total of the plated GVW/MAM weights are over 3.5 tonnes
Laws go on plated weights not actual weights
After going over 3.5 tonnes the exemptions are then looked in to to see if it is exempt from either operator or tacho regs

Thanks for the link ROG.

Came across a company that has Isuzu crewcab pickups towing 3.5t trailer delivering lawn mowers. They use Tacho but no O licence.

They also have short wheel base Shoguns that have no back seats or seat belt mounts. These are classed as commercial vans and use Tacho AND have O licence in the window.

Weird rules.

Are you going outside the 100km radius from base - businessmapcentre.com/radius-calculator.php