Another Newbie.....

Hello there…

Steve here,

Have to say this is a great site, full of helpful posts, people and resources… need a spell check though…!

Been on JSA since Jan after being self employed since leaving school. Plasterer then Builder then Cabinet maker…!( Anyone want to buy some hand made pine furniture?? Dovetailed, M &T joints… Quality stuff, not like all the imports…!! ) Decided I’m going to do my class C then C+E, Was going to do it a few years ago just for the sake of it, always in awe of you boys in the big trucks…! Finally got some funding together about 2k… Is this about right? I’ll be looking for 1 on 1 lessons… Can anybody reccomend courses near Mansfield in Notts? Prefare to give the buisiness to a smaller company…

Got my provisional licence back last week after taking a medical (50 notes…!) found on here somewhere…
Been reading the official DSA theory test for lgv’s… Going to book my theory test next week, Any idea how long it takes to get a date?? I have a pre 97 C1 entitlement on my licence, I believe i dont need to do the initial cpc only the periodic training after,( Read this in Rog’s Sig, Although cant find it on dsa web site. There contact numbers give me the run around) is that correct? Would it be better to do it anyway or would I still have to do the 35 hours periodic training before Sept 2014?

Any links to free on-line theory tests…?

Thanks…

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome STEVECB1300 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009 but…

STEVECB1300:
I have a pre 97 C1 entitlement on my licence

…so you will not need to do it :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

STEVECB1300:
Finally got some funding together about 2k… Is this about right?

As you will not have the expense of the Initial cpc then maybe but it will probably require a first time pass on both C & C+E - I would have had another £500 in reserve in case of possible retests.

STEVECB1300:
I’ll be looking for 1 on 1 lessons…

Personal choice that - some prefer 1 to 1 half days, others prefer 2 to 1 all day.

STEVECB1300:
I believe i dont need to do the initial cpc only the periodic training after,( Read this in Rog’s Sig, Although cant find it on dsa web site. There contact numbers give me the run around)

The current number I have in my sig should be the one.

STEVECB1300:
Would it be better to do it anyway or would I still have to do the 35 hours periodic training before Sept 2014?

Those that do the initial still have to do the periodic - in your case you only need THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC so have until Sept 2014 to get in those 35 hours.

You have a PM (Private Message - top of page)

Thans for the reply Rog… I’ll try the number in your sig on Tuesday…

Mmmm… first time pass on C then C+E, Fingers crossed… Got my van for sale at present, hopefully I’ll get enough for it to fund a retest if I have to…

You may find that booking both C & CE with the same provider will get you a discount - worth checking their offers :bulb: :bulb:

Remember to check out that PM I sent you

Sent you pm Rog… I think…! Its in my outbox not in sent items…

STEVECB1300:
Sent you pm Rog… I think…! Its in my outbox not in sent items…

Got it. :smiley:

Hi STEVECB1300,

ROG:
Remember to check out that PM I sent you

:bulb: Do I spy something beginning with a “P.” :question: :wink: :grimacing:

pie?

I had pie tonight dave, well a crumble actually, you’d have loved it, top quality home cooking made by my good self, I’m a man of many well a few :laughing: talents

STEVECB1300:
Hello there…

Steve here,

Have to say this is a great site, full of helpful posts, people and resources… need a spell check though…!

Firefox has a built in spell checker.

Thanks for the welcome Diesel Dave…

Do I spy something beginning with a “P.” Yep… Prob gonna call P after my theory test… Just booked em,

MC part on 15 Sept then HP part on 17 Sept so fingers crossed…

STEVECB1300:
Thanks for the welcome Diesel Dave…

Do I spy something beginning with a “P.” Yep… Prob gonna call P after my theory test… Just booked em,

MC part on 15 Sept then HP part on 17 Sept so fingers crossed…

They can help with that if you need any assistance… :wink:

Good luck and please give “P” my regards. :smiley:

garnerlives:
pie?

I had pie tonight dave, well a crumble actually, you’d have loved it, top quality home cooking made by my good self, I’m a man of many well a few :laughing: talents

:open_mouth: Un-notified pie (or crumble) eating is quite serious, … especially if there’s none for me. :grimacing:

I trust that Nobby Distress-angle is treating you well, but I must ask whether you’ve mastered the gallic shrug yet?? :laughing: :laughing:

Ok then…

Took the multiple choice part of theory test on 15-9, passed with 100 out of 100…! got the paper to prove it…!

Took the HPT part on 17-9 and passed with 80 out of 100… going downhill already…!

Drivers digi card arived in the post shortly afterwards, so now need to train and pass C and C+E tests and learn how to use digi tacho, Oh… then find a job…!

On 23-9 I did an assessment drive with Peter Smythe in Mansfield…

Well, Its certainly a good clean, professional set up with the LGV test centre on site, Nice late model Rigids and choice of Wagon and Drag or Artic for C+E.

Peter drove me up to an industrial estate after a bit of info on the wagon we were in, then it was my turn…!
Quite surprised that the size didnt seem to be much of a problem with a little bit of extra care, the range change gearbox went better than expected although made a balls up a couple of times, but thats why Im going training…!
Position of pedals had me once or twice as well, but it all went well and even managed to reverse it back into parking position.
Peter knows his stuff, breaks things down and keeps it simple so Ive booked a 4 day class 2 course and test (also tacho course, with 7 hours towards periodic training) with them… Starting on 9-10 with test on 15-9.

He even bought me a cup of tea from the vending machine… :smiley:

Wonder if i’ll get one next time now he’s got a deposit… :wink:

He even bought me a cup of tea from the vending machine…

Wonder if i’ll get one next time now he’s got a deposit…

Don’t push your luck Steve! :laughing: :laughing:

STEVECB1300:
Took the HPT part on 17-9 and passed with 80 out of 100

Thought the pass mark was 85 :question:

STEVECB1300:
Position of pedals had me once or twice as well

I think you might find that the clutch is the one on the left, brake in the middle and accelerator on the right :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Unless a certain training provider has switched them about !!! :laughing: :unamused:

STEVECB1300:
Starting on 9-10 with test on 15-9.

Nmmm… so you are starting on the 9th of October this year and doing the test on 15th September next year - BOY!!! - you must need SOME training !!! :laughing:

dieseldave:
I trust that Nobby Distress-angle is treating you well, but I must ask whether you’ve mastered the gallic shrug yet?? :laughing: :laughing:

Dave lets not even go there :open_mouth:
Seriously, its not what its cracked upto be…
Im looking for something better and closer to home or one with nights out (a “proper” class 1 job) and none of this multi drop crap on an artic :imp:

ROG:

STEVECB1300:
Took the HPT part on 17-9 and passed with 80 out of 100

Thought the pass mark was 85 :question:

STEVECB1300:
Position of pedals had me once or twice as well

I think you might find that the clutch is the one on the left, brake in the middle and accelerator on the right :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Unless a certain training provider has switched them about !!! :laughing: :unamused:

STEVECB1300:
Starting on 9-10 with test on 15-9.

Nmmm… so you are starting on the 9th of October this year and doing the test on 15th September next year - BOY!!! - you must need SOME training !!! :laughing:

Very good Rog, Very good…! :smiley: :smiley:

Pass mark for MC part of theory is 85…
Pass mark for HPT part of theory is 67…

Position of pedals-- hight from floor, distance from each other! Although might as well have changed completely…!

Hope I don’t need that much Rog, 19-10 should do it… :blush: :smiley: :smiley:

STEVECB1300:
Pass mark for MC part of theory is 85…
Pass mark for HPT part of theory is 67…

That’s the second time I’ve got those the wrong way around :blush: :blush: :blush:

DAF95XF:

dieseldave:

Dave lets not even go there :open_mouth:
Seriously, its not what its cracked upto be…
Im looking for something better and closer to home or one with nights out (a “proper” class 1 job) and none of this multi drop crap on an artic :imp:

i’ll do it. i applied for the warrington vacancy. still waiting they said they will be in touch. that was 2 weeks ago!! :confused:

dieseldave:

garnerlives:
pie?

:open_mouth: Un-notified pie (or crumble) eating is quite serious, … especially if there’s none for me. :grimacing:

Hey Dave how are you these days. keeping well i assume?? Good healthy pie eating keeping you in shape. :laughing: