Another driver lost

I seen this hapen where I use to work a driver on cat walk put air line on truck
rolled down hill went though building bottom off hill driver was traped on cat walk it took us and fire service 2 hour dig him out he he stoped trucking after that shame good guy

For those of us who don’t know, what is a split coupling?

Thanks for expanation shrops bri
Of all the posts your the only one that made it clear what does what.
Thats always my fear of getting squashed up against the headboard,
But would the fifth wheel not stop it from squashing you if the hand brake on the unit was on unless of course you were split coupling.

Foxstein hopefully someone give you a better explanation then me but split coupling is where say you have a fridge trailer and when connected to the unit there isnt enough space to get up on the cat walk to disconnect the suzies so you drop trailer and pull out unit a few feet and then disconnect the suzies or when u picking trailer u reverse into it but leave room to connect up the suzies first before u go under the trailer thus leaving u room to go on catwalk

Thanks for that Ned thought it might be that but wasn’t sure :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ned you’re welcome and Foxstein he is spot on. The pin on the 5th wheel would stop the trailer but it don’t leave much of a gap with a fridge motor.
Of course the trailer could run away the other way until the suzies break.

Glad to have helped.

Foxstein:

Reverse up to or slightly under the trailer - therefore the pin is not engaged in the fifth wheel

Connect lines

Reverse rest of the way to lock the pin in the fifth wheel

It is considered dangerous because in normal coupling the trailer is locked to the tracotr via the fifth wheel - therefore niether tractor nor trailer can move independantly of each other.

During split coupling - if the trailer brake isn’t on and the red line is connected it could roll forwards (or backwards) Split coupling definitly needs a bit more thinking about and no distraction. personally - wouldn’t want to do it

HSE or DFT (or someone) do produce a guide the describes the split coupling technique

shep532:

Foxstein:

It is considered dangerous because in normal coupling the trailer is locked to the tracotr via the fifth wheel - therefore niether tractor nor trailer can move independantly of each other.
During split coupling - if the trailer brake isn’t on and the red line is connected it could roll forwards (or backwards) Split coupling definitly needs a bit more thinking about and no distraction.

It’s not my choice either but having to do it certainly focuses the mind on setting unit and trailer brakes.

Regards,
Nick

shep532:

Foxstein:

Reverse up to or slightly under the trailer - therefore the pin is not engaged in the fifth wheel

Connect lines

During split coupling - if the trailer brake isn’t on and the red line is connected it could roll forwards (or backwards) Split coupling definitly needs a bit more thinking about and no distraction. personally - wouldn’t want to do it

HSE or DFT (or someone) do produce a guide the describes the split coupling technique

It’s not too bad now most legs are fixed and not wheels, I never lifted the trailer (as I normally would) when split coupling, just used to reverse to where you’d normally check the 5th wheel position and height, then connect up. A nice safe distance, and also trailer legs still on the deck - take some moving like that tbh.

We were taught not to split couple at 1 place - can’t remember where, B&Q I think - and you connected the trailer to 5th wheel, raised suspension, wound legs up, hit the shunt button, jack the unit round approx 90 degrees, access to the suzi connections is then visible. This was ok, but trailers lose air due to being loaded / unloaded, suspension up n down etc, and sometimes the shunt button wouldn’t work, then you had to wind legs back down, disconnect from 5th wheel and do a split couple without being seen by the box tickers.

shep532:

Foxstein:

EXIT CAB AND ENSURE TRAILER PARK BRAKE BUTTON IS PULLED OUT
Connect lines

Edited to add that small, but very important piece of info. Do it after youv’e connected the red line and…oh, you might not be able to (no offence Shep532)

Actrosman:

shep532:

Foxstein:

EXIT CAB AND ENSURE TRAILER PARK BRAKE BUTTON IS PULLED OUT
Connect lines

Edited to add that small, but very important piece of info. Do it after youv’e connected the red line and…oh, you might not be able to (no offence Shep532)

I wasn’t writing the flamin handbook - just tryin to describe what a split coupling was :wink:

I split couple Skelly/railboxs x10 per night at Tesco Purfleet! We usually drop and hook up the trailers on the bays ourselves so the trailer brakes are always applied!
The problem I see here is when Tesco Shunters are asked to take our skelly/boxes off and drop them in the yard! They can’t be bothered to pull the park brake!
Nearly every trailer has been left like this around their yard!

ncooper:

shep532:

Foxstein:

During split coupling - if the trailer brake isn’t on and the red line is connected it could roll forwards (or backwards) Split coupling definitly needs a bit more thinking about and no distraction.

It’s not my choice either but having to do it certainly focuses the mind on setting unit and trailer brakes.

Regards,
Nick

In my case, the trailer was in an annex area (gravel pit!) of a MSA and the culprit for the movement was that the ground was actually tilting downwards at a deceptively steep angle. The trailer brake was on, but the trailer managed to skid some inches over the (downhill!) gravel under its (downed) legs, whacking into the kinpin and coupling itself whilst I’m up on the catwalk seeing my life rush before my eyes! My fault in all this is that I didn’t check the trailer I was picking up was parked on level ground! :blush:

Begs the question, what would have happened if I had checked, and then refused to take the trailer 'cos it was badly parked? I’m agency remember… I’m not too keen on trailers using those little wheelie things on the bottom of the legs anymore either… :angry:

Split coupling was necassary with this firm because their tractor units didn’t have the sliding 5th wheel like tescos ones do. There obviously IS some clearance between freezer engine & cab when coupled, or I wouldn’t be here. You won’t be able to climb up onto the catwalk without being a contortionist however. :wink: