Anglesey

It’s looking like I might end up with an international run to Anglesey next week, what’s the best route up there from the M6?

A5 or A55

Chances are I won’t be hurrying and like the idea of the A5 but just wondered if it’s not the best route. I went that way many years as a passenger in a car but can’t recall too much.

Cheers for any advice.

Not too sure but the A5 has been closed to LGVs- signs up from Oswestry. All comercial traffic was diverted onto the A55. Haven’t been that way for a few weeks so can’t be certain.

I go that way regularly and there are several routes you can take, and they are all much of a muchness. You can go A5. You can go A41, A55. You can go up M6 to junction 16 then then cut through to the A55 by using the A500 and another road whose number I can’t remember but might be the A51, I just know it goes in the direction I want. :wink: You can go the M6, M56, A55 route as well. There are a couple of variations on those themes as well if you do it regularly and get bored. My personal preference from London Colney is M1, M6, M54, A41, A55 and it usually takes me around 5.5 hours - 3 and a bit to the Raven cafe near Whitchurch, for the best breakfast in Shropshire, and about 2.5 from there to Holyhead.

Ok great, looks like the A5 might be out of it then. I’ll worry more if it’s a definate.

I sort of dropped a hint that I’m not overawed by night outing but as I’ve got a sleeper it could come down to that. It’s only for a couple of grabs so they won’t send the lowloader. Dunno if’s there’s anything there to lift them on so it might by a HIAB job anyway.

There’s a chance they might let us double man it and do it in a day if it’s a bit slack.

Comming form Anglesey (left 1979,but still visit parents) A55 anytime.
A55 dual carriageway so 50mph. A5 single and 40 with not a lot of passing places.

It’s academic now, he’s got the fella who does relief driving for us to use my motor over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice though.

8wheels:
It’s academic now, he’s got the fella who does relief driving for us to use my motor over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice though.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The A5 is not closed now, there is just a long delay at TyNant, about 4 miles South of Cerrigydrudion. There a five minute temporary lights :frowning: there, diverting you on the old road.

It was closed because of falling rocks. The story goes that the contractors were tasked with drilling into the rocks and putting in those big pins you see in rock faces everywhere to keep it retained. The rock was too hard so they just drilled a bit and cut the pins short to make it look the part. :open_mouth:

It shouldn’t be closed for too much longer though - I’ve been carrying hot black stuff there earlier this week. :sunglasses:

Best stick to the 55 though, its quicker and easier.

Also, while I’m on and being boring :unamused: , a group of hauliers were taking the local authority to court due to the problems it was causing their business. They were joined by various local businesses. Closing the A5 totally, as they did to begin with ruined some restaurants etc overnight.

hammer:
The A5 is not closed now, there is just a long delay at TyNant, about 4 miles South of Cerrigydrudion. There a five minute temporary lights :frowning: there, diverting you on the old road.

It was closed because of falling rocks.