Aldi class 1 job interview

Carryfast:

lolipop:
Atherstone RDC I am told the runs are mainly local these days,2-3 loads a day.
Aldi is not for “steering wheel attendants” who are frightened to do nothing more than open the back doors and back on a deck,or a job for the “workshy”.
They don`t seem to lose many good Drivers who are prepared to work.
Work is the main criteria at Aldi

You mean ‘drivers’ who don’t actually like driving far but who enjoy being a warehouse labourer.Maybe you need to revise your definition of a steering wheel attendant.

SO another job you have not done, yet will no doubt know everything about it and why its wrong! Mind you that’s not hard as you haven’t been able to get a job in this industry for the last 22 years because no-one will employ you.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:

lolipop:
Aldi is not for “steering wheel attendants” who are frightened to do nothing more than open the back doors and back on a deck,or a job for the “workshy”.

You mean ‘drivers’ who don’t actually like driving far but who enjoy being a warehouse labourer.Maybe you need to revise your definition of a steering wheel attendant.

SO another job you have not done, yet will no doubt know everything about it and why its wrong! Mind you that’s not hard as you haven’t been able to get a job in this industry for the last 22 years because no-one will employ you.

Why would they want to employ someone who’s been sacked on medical/h and s grounds and who hates ‘local runs’ but likes distance work and prefers to use the skills needed to actually drive a truck.
Rather than driving a pallet truck or worse having the abilities of a champion weight lifter while being used for duties that are anything but those of a ‘driver’.
It’s there in the job title ‘work’ for a ‘driver’ means to drive and driving.
As opposed to warehouse operative.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:

lolipop:

Again CF with his knowledge of every job in the country.
Driving HGV is not all about sitting on a motorway for hours on end and getting bored sick,and a drivers gut to match.Some Drivers prefer doing 2-3 short local runs and being home at night irrespective of the work involved. The days when Aldi did distance work on a daily basis are in the distant past now they have depots in strategic places over the country.

the nodding donkey:

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:
I’ve spoken to some Asda drivers who all seem to say to stay clear of Aldi.

They accept that sometimes the hourly rates are better but you’re expected to do much more manual work than say Asda or Tesco drivers, for example, such as loading and unloading your own wagon, multi drops etc.

Hopefully you’ll get someone with first hand Aldi experience :slight_smile:

Multi drop at Aldi??All loading/unloading via loading bay use electrical pumptruck?What hard with this?

Yes, multi drop at Aldi.

Hello, ex Aldi driver here… :sunglasses:
Worked out of Swindon, 9 months in 2000 and 2 weeks in 2015.

Trailers tend to be loaded, you have typically two or three shops on a run. You tip yourself at the store, and reload returns and cardboard etc. On return to depot, you tip the returns, and go for a second run (time permitting, not often.), or fuel and park.

In 2000, the trailer and unit were not uncoupled, and you loaded your trailer before you went out. That is no longer the case. Trailers and units were immaculate in 2000, that is no longer the case.

You arrive at depot, go to planning, collect your delivery notes, keyes for shop if doing late/night deliveries, and check for last minute pallets that have not been loaded earlier. DO NOT FORGET… :grimacing: . Get unit, do walk around (the alround cameras run up to 20 minutes after you switch off the ignition), find trailer, do walk around check, note ALL damage on sheet.
Go to first shop, did you take the keys? Thread around parking area/parked cars/bollards/trees/shoppers/drunks (delete as appropriate,other hazards are available), then blindside reverse onto awkward loading dock. Go in, and open shutter.
Move pallets/rubbish/flowers/bread baskets/rubbish from loading ramp. Dont make eye contact with store staff. DO NOT ask for assistance, as abuse may be offered.
Play Chinese puzzles with pallets on trailer and one free space in warehouse… dont forget the chilled and/or frozen stuff on the front, behind your second and/or third drop… :blush: . Reload with returns, empty pallets (they must be stacked by the store in stacks of similar type…hahahahahaha), rubbish etc. Close shutters, leave paperwork, try to get out of the car park.
Go to second shop, and repeat as above.

Wait, at the second shop, the returns etc from the first shop are in the way. This is the queens gambit version of the Chinese puzzle game.

On nights, you open the door, switch off the alarm, and proceed as above. During day deliveries, you dont need keys, obviously.

Most shops have level docks, but some have scissor lifts. They are a proper pain.

Watch out for the free day working scam… Aldi pay monthly, based on 147 hours, iirc. If you do an extra day or two early in the month, they are not unknown to keep you hours low in the last week, so your total hours for the month stay around 147 hours… :imp:

Blame culture was invented, and honed to a fine point, by Aldi. Management is always looking for somebody to blame for something. They even treat their own drivers like a necessary evil.

Canteen is machines only, no kitchen.

Enjoy

If I was getting 147 hrs per month every month I would not class having a reduced week as a scam, it would be a week of finishing early. Far better to have a regular 147 hrs per month than 120 one month and 160 the next

lolipop:

the nodding donkey:

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:
I’ve spoken to some Asda drivers who all seem to say to stay clear of Aldi.

They accept that sometimes the hourly rates are better but you’re expected to do much more manual work than say Asda or Tesco drivers, for example, such as loading and unloading your own wagon, multi drops etc.

Hopefully you’ll get someone with first hand Aldi experience :slight_smile:

Multi drop at Aldi??All loading/unloading via loading bay use electrical pumptruck?What hard with this?

Yes, multi drop at Aldi.

Hello, ex Aldi driver here… :sunglasses:

Watch out for the free day working scam… Aldi pay monthly, based on 147 hours, iirc. If you do an extra day or two early in the month, they are not unknown to keep you hours low in the last week, so your total hours for the month stay around 147 hours… :imp:

Enjoy

If I was getting 147 hrs per month every month I would not class having a reduced week as a scam, it would be a week of finishing early. Far better to have a regular 147 hrs per month than 120 one month and 160 the next

Sorry, let me explain a bit clearer.
The 147 (or there abouts) is salaried. Anything over 147 hours is paid as overtime.
You work an extra day in the first week of the month, say 10 hours. You think that will get your month end to 157. But they will cleverly keep your hours low, say 5 days of local short runs, to keep your hours below 147, so you have worked an extra day, for free.

Carryfast:
Why would they want to employ someone who’s been sacked on medical/h and s grounds and who hates ‘local runs’ but likes distance work and prefers to use the skills needed to actually drive a truck.
Rather than driving a pallet truck or worse having the abilities of a champion weight lifter while being used for duties that are anything but those of a ‘driver’.
It’s there in the job title ‘work’ for a ‘driver’ means to drive and driving.
As opposed to warehouse operative.

Sums up why you haven’t been able to get a job in this industry for nearly a quarter of a century - your attitude stinks and you haven’t a clue about what’s involved (or not involved other than in your head) with the vast majority of jobs around.

lolipop:
Driving HGV is not all about sitting on a motorway for hours on end and getting bored sick,and a drivers gut to match.Some Drivers prefer doing 2-3 short local runs and being home at night irrespective of the work involved. The days when Aldi did distance work on a daily basis are in the distant past now they have depots in strategic places over the country.

Obviously all those EE drivers who went home to do a proper driving job as opposed to warehouse operative/steering wheel attendant didn’t agree with you.

The 147 (or there abouts) is salaried. Anything over 147 hours is paid as overtime.
You work an extra day in the first week of the month, say 10 hours. You think that will get your month end to 157. But they will cleverly keep your hours low, say 5 days of local short runs, to keep your hours below 147, so you have worked an extra day, for free

its this kind of thing that really ■■■■■■ me off & i’d do everything in my power to not let them get away with doing it. put it this way they would learn quickly not to screw me out of wages & i’d easily make it up and some the following week/month :wink:

Ive done Aldi work. Its what you make of it. Yes you load and tip yourself. Yes there can be multi drop. Yes car parks can be a nightmare. Also can be handy one drop runs. I found days better than nights, some people wouldnt do days for any money. Give it a go if you get it. World is screaming for drivers, nows the perfect time for a new driver to try new things. Best of luck with it

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Carryfast:
Why would anyone want to employ someone who’s been sacked on medical/h and s grounds and who hates ‘local runs’ but likes distance work and prefers to use the skills needed to actually drive a truck.

Corrected that for you

Carryfast:

lolipop:

Obviously all those EE drivers who went home to do a proper driving job as opposed to warehouse operative/steering wheel attendant didn’t agree with you.

How do you know that? Thinking about it have you ever even met an Eastern/Central European driver?

drover:

You work an extra day in the first week of the month, say 10 hours. You think that will get your month end to 157. But they will cleverly keep your hours low, say 5 days of local short runs, to keep your hours below 147, so you have worked an extra day, for free

its this kind of thing that really ■■■■■■ me off & i’d do everything in my power to not let them get away with doing it. put it this way they would learn quickly not to screw me out of wages & i’d easily make it up and some the following week/month :wink:

They aren’t doing you out of wages. They pay you for 147 hours a month, they get you to work 147 hours a month. Overtime is paid, but they try not to rely on using overtime, instead they rely on having enough drivers to cover the work

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
Why would anyone want to employ someone who’s been sacked on medical/h and s grounds and who hates ‘local runs’ but likes distance work and prefers to use the skills needed to actually drive a truck.

Corrected that for you

As opposed to someone who finds it a challenge to keep a very small car let alone a truck between the lines and out the ditch and fences.
You’d be perfect for their needs it would obviously minimise the risk to yourself and everyone else out on the road where a driver and a truck belongs.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

lolipop:

How do you know that? Thinking about it have you ever even met an Eastern/Central European driver?

Highly unlikely. I mean the last time anyone would employ Carryfast in the lorry industry the Spice Girls were still relevant in the world!

tmcassett:
Highly unlikely. I mean the last time anyone would employ Carryfast in the lorry industry the Spice Girls were still relevant in the world!

Ironically I seem to remember their record Goodbye playing on the radio during the last Feltham-Luton-Dewsbury-Luton-Feltham trunk run I did.

You obviously would have hated that job just one box swap and one trailer collection, swap and drop.The rest of the shift just the road ahead and the radio.

Terry Cooksey:

drover:

They aren’t doing you out of wages. They pay you for 147 hours a month, they get you to work 147 hours a month. Overtime is paid, but they try not to rely on using overtime, instead they rely on having enough drivers to cover the work

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Whoosh

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Corrected that for you

As opposed to someone who finds it a challenge to keep a very small car let alone a truck between the lines and out the ditch and fences.
You’d be perfect for their needs it would obviously minimise the risk to yourself and everyone else out on the road where a driver and a truck belongs.

I love the thought of how ■■■■■■ off it must make you that even with my faults I’m infinitely more employable than you. :smiley: It’s most enjoyable contributing to that enormous chip on your shoulder, keep it up

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

I love the thought of how ■■■■■■ off it must make you that even with my faults I’m infinitely more employable than you. :smiley: It’s most enjoyable contributing to that enormous chip on your shoulder, keep it up

Your driving record says more about your, among others’, definition of employable than it does about my employability.
A few local runs and the rest of the time working as warehouse/shop labourer seems to be your niche for the safety of everyone on the road including yourself.

Worked at Aldi Bathgate 2 years , 5 on 3 off not my cup of tea managers all [zb] and many of the other drivers. 2-3 hours loading lorry , will give u a long shift some days other days you’ll get sent home after 1 local run to keep ur hours at 173 per month(never on your last day).

Good way to get started on class 1 though if you’ve not got experience.

Ps it’s not really an interview if u get to that stage it’s pretty much a chat and when can u start.