Agency work just after Christmas

Anyone got any views on this?

Just after Christmas being the time when agency work dies down a bit, I’m just wondering if that’ll be the case this year. Last year at my place I noticed it didn’t, we were still using a fair number of agency drivers. I’ve been working on the construction side & I know that productivity is on the up in that industry, just wondering if that was the same across the other sectors?

Be particularly interested to hear from any of you who were on with agencies last year.

Impossible to say as we’re in uncharted waters at the moment.

over the last 20 odd years the amount of work has changed over the xmas spread …

When I started Jan was as dead as a Donkey then over time it sort of moved to around march and the last few years I found May was the quiet time.

I think it depends on what people have left to spend really and the food stores don’t push to hard on the sale now as they only shut the doors for the 1 day

The roads seem ever more crowded with “building” related LGV traffic - around London at least.

Might be a good time to get a job if you’re looking for days.

(I’ll stay on nights meanwhile, although I do find myself on days this next week coming…)

Winseer:
(I’ll stay on nights meanwhile, although I do find myself on days this next week coming…)

mr winseer says more about his own logic in a few words than what anyone else could say in a thousand :smiley:

It depends on what type of goods you are working in. I’ve recently had work where there was no drop off after the new year at all. Trunking palletised freight being one.

New year lull didn’t happen last year and had as much as I wanted the year before, suspect I’ll have as much as I want until May which is when I switch focus to agri contracting anyway.

I do occasional fridge work, fairly consistent all year round, people still need to eat.

To be honest , if your any good and reliable you’ll get work if you crap you won’t . I’m just about to change agency’s , so I’ll be the newbie , hopefully I won’t get ■■■■■■ around , because I’m leaving the easiest job ever . But when on the dust I was getting asked for by all the gangs , so hopefully I’ll do just as well in this new job . I’ll be pretty ■■■■■■ off if I leave my doss job to work wAy longer hours and I don’t get looked after .

nick2008:
over the last 20 odd years the amount of work has changed over the xmas spread …
When I started Jan was as dead as a Donkey then over time it sort of moved to around march and the last few years I found May was the quiet time.

Traditionally the 20th of Jan used to be the date work dropped off, due to the 20th being the date the Xmas credit card bills used to hit the doormat, creating a nationwide sucking of teeth and tightening of belts shortly after the 20th with families realising exactly how much theyve spent on Xmas, but with people being able to spread the dates they can pay bills that's now slightly more blurred. So the traditional 20th doesnt seem to happen any more. :confused:
Also add into the equation the traditional post Xmas TV ad campaign for Thomas Cook style holidays (book now & the kids go free etc)

nick2008:
I think it depends on what people have left to spend really and the food stores don’t push to hard on the sale now as they only shut the doors for the 1 day

Non food supermarket sales do take a dip, and people will cut back.

But look on the bright side, any good agy driver worth their salt, will have stashed enough away to tied themselves over, and have enough to spare to be able to spend the dead weeks sat around the pool bar on holiday, not worrying if the phones going to ring, and the agy is offering the odd shift here & there