Advice

So here’s my situation. I’ve recently passed my category c test, had a couple of interviews and one assessment drive so far but yet to have any joy getting work.

I’m just wondering how everybody else went about finding work, I’m going to keep plodding on knocking on doors & handing cvs out,

I currently have a full time job but I’m itching to get behind the wheel now, so much so I’ve lost all motivation in my current job.

Would it be a crazy idea for me to leave my full time job and maybe sign up with an agency in the hope of finding work?

Seriously have no idea what to do!

I understand that people who are currently employed feel that its risky to leave a permanent job.

IT IS.

However,in my case,if I carried on with FLT’s I would not be really enjoying my working day,and getting paid well. It depends how much you want to drive wagon’s.

Experience HAS to be gained,so it stands to reason that you have to take a risk and/or start at the bottom to earn your stripes. Its taken me 2 years and a fair whack of cash to be in the position I am in,but I can honestly say it has been well worth it.

That’s exactly how I’m feeling, I haven’t forked out all that money to not go out and put my license to use.

I’m a reach truck driver at the minute and have lost all interest/ motivation for the job!

I would never recommend an inexperienced driver to give up a permanent job for agency work, do some agency work on your days off to gain some experience and to find out if it’s really the job you want to do full time.

Agency work can be very precarious even for experienced drivers, it’s more so for inexperienced drivers.

You can’t wait to start driving now but will you fell the same if you’re not getting a regular income from the agencies ?

Yep-been there and done it. Got sick of watching artic drivers reading papers in the yard on £500 per week.

Now im that man lol!!

A good way into the game is with food service providers. I started through an agency for Palmer & Harvey class 2. Got took on perm very shortly after. Did that for 12 months then passed CE earlier this year. I then got a break with a large general haulage company locally. Even though I was a new pass on artics,my experience with P&H was more than enough to convince the boss that I was worth a punt.

Is there a P&H depot near you?

Yes mate there’s one at haydock…about 8 miles from me

PM sent to you Paul.

I passed my c in jan 14, got my cpc end of feb then did what i could at weekends on agency… tbh was 7.5t but was extra money… But becareful doing this as hmrc realised i was working with two agenceys… So when i got my p60 in april… The tax man got giddy and took loads of tax off my full tym job. So stopped agency work… Started emailng local companys within two days had an interview with one… Worked my two weeks notice n now here i am lol. But tbh tired with the multi drop crap. Going to see some agenceys tomoro now i have 12months experiance… Good luck finding a job though :smiley:

scottl5690:
I passed my c in jan 14, got my cpc end of feb then did what i could at weekends on agency… tbh was 7.5t but was extra money… But becareful doing this as hmrc realised i was working with two agenceys… So when i got my p60 in april… The tax man got giddy and took loads of tax off my full tym job. So stopped agency work… Started emailng local companys within two days had an interview with one… Worked my two weeks notice n now here i am lol. But tbh tired with the multi drop crap. Going to see some agenceys tomoro now i have 12months experiance… Good luck finding a job though :smiley:

I was thinking weekend work to start off, but as I currently work 40 hours in my current job, surely this would restrict me as it counts towards other work?

Yeh. It will but… You can do up to 60 hours… But tbh not sure how it will affect your weekly rest… I never realy worried about it… no one ever checked my tacho so■■? i also did book time off work to do it aswell so… I wouldnt of had a clue i just did it. Id do work at weekend now if i could but with 60h weeks i wouldnt have enough hours

Watch out for the weekly rest requirements!

scottl5690:
Yeh. It will but… You can do up to 60 hours… But tbh not sure how it will affect your weekly rest… I never realy worried about it… no one ever checked my tacho so■■? i also did book time off work to do it aswell so… I wouldnt of had a clue i just did it. Id do work at weekend now if i could but with 60h weeks i wouldnt have enough hours

Hours worked in a non driving job do not count for the driving job in respect of the WTD but they do count as other work for the tacho regs and must be legally recorded as such

Will send you a message :grimacing: