Advice needed please

I have got my LGV licence through the fire service but was on automatics. I am hoping to do a bit of lorry driving and am wondering what types of LGV I can drive on my current licence

Thanks in advance

Jamie

If your licence shows class C you can drive trucks over 3,500kgs and pull a trailer of up to 750kg. Doesn’t matter if they are auto or manual.

Pop along to a local training centre and get some experience with other kinds of trucks if you’re worried.

As a fireman you’ll need to read up on the CPC training rules however as they wouldn’t have applied to you previously. You have until Sept to obtain your QDC (what you get after 35hrs CPC training) if you want to continue to drive trucks commercially though.

I am in no way an expert however - expect more replies soon! :slight_smile:

jamie823:
I have got my LGV licence through the fire service but was on automatics. I am hoping to do a bit of lorry driving and am wondering what types of LGV I can drive on my current licence

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Did you pass the HGV test before or after 10th September 2009 ?

If you past the LGV test with the fire service before 10th September 2009 you should have acquired rights so will have until 10th September 2014 to do 35 hours DCPC training.

However if you passed the LGV test with the fire service after 10th September 2009, it’s unlikely that you would have done the Initial DCPC, so you won’t be able to drive HGVs until you’ve done the Initial DCPC.

You’ll also have acquired rights if you passed the car test before 1/1/97 as this would’ve given you C1.

Have you got any restriction codes on your licence alongside your C category (I.e. Code 78)

You say you passed on auto so it’s reasonable to assume a C with a 78 (auto only) restriction. So obviously you can only drive autos.

But if you have a manual car licence, send your licence for exchange in January and it will come back as a manual for trucks as well. No reason for this except the world has finally gone mad!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
No reason for this except the world has finally gone mad!!

Something you have been predicting for some time Pete.

The world has gone mad and we are all doomed, I tell ye, doomed.

Thanks all for the help. I have got code 78 on my licence. As I am new to the LGV commercial driving I am just wondering if there are many autos in the category I can drive.

jamie823:
Thanks all for the help. I have got code 78 on my licence. As I am new to the LGV commercial driving I am just wondering if there are many autos in the category I can drive.

Most dustcarts & 90% of the 4 & 6 wheel MANS/Curtain Siders at our company are all Autos.

Peter Smythe:
You say you passed on auto so it’s reasonable to assume a C with a 78 (auto only) restriction. So obviously you can only drive autos.

But if you have a manual car licence, send your licence for exchange in January and it will come back as a manual for trucks as well. No reason for this except the world has finally gone mad!!

New EU directive is why

Perhaps state you lost it or send in a new photo which will last 10 years are a couple of options