ADR

I have been driving for 5 years, 3 years class 2, 2 years on class 1 i would love to get my ADR i dont know if to try and have a go does anyone have any 2009/10 info about the ADR so i know what i am letting myself in for

pm Dieseldave he’s your man

Pretty straight forward. The ADR is NVQ level 2 so the examinations are pretty straight forward. Exam is multi choice. 70% pass mark required to be awarded ADR. Most ADR courses are now Driver CPC approved so you can kill 2 birds with one stone!

Chevmac is right. Double D is your man.

Do you concur Double D?

DD is defo your man come on DD time for your solo :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:
jennie x

Since there seems to be a popular demand for an appearance, I’ll happily pitch-in at this point. :smiley:

Hi michaeloxley,

:open_mouth: Two posts, and just over two years apart!! (Did you know that we don’t charge for the ink!! :grimacing: )

hgvlgvtraining has this one spot-on. :smiley:

If you’d like to get an insight into ADR, please read my answers to Adam79, Hutchie and youngwithaclass1 in the dangerous goods sticky:

:arrow_right: Link: Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

I should mention that you wouldn’t need to learn the subject to the depth I’ve given in the answers I gave in the link, cos those are answers to specific questions. As already mentioned, the ADR exams are all multiple choice, so the correct answer will be right in front of you.
You also don’t need to wonder about what you’ll put for the answers, because all you do to select an answer is to draw a line in a box, so there’s no writing for you to do for the exams.

I can make you some suggestions for ADR training providers in your area, but could you give me a clue whereabouts you are please?
Your preferred travelling distance would also be helpful so that I don’t waste your time or mine by giving you contact details for places that you’d consider are too far away to travel to.

If you’ve read my suggestions in the link above and still have other questions about an ADR course, just ask away and I’ll be here to help. :smiley:

Had you have only a class 2 licence I would have suggested that you just do ADR in packages but as you have class 1 you’d probably be as well doing packages and tanks.You will still get it all done in a week but there are more class 1 tankers on the road than class 2 so more options.Shop around,it shouldn’t cost more than £450.It really isn’t something that you need to study for,turn up on Monday morning,3 or 4 days of chat and videos and on the last day a six or seven exams,no more than 40 questions on each,most less and three weeks later your ADR licence arrives in the post.

Anyone with half a brain would be able to fly through it.
I’ve had the whole lot (less 1 & 7), tanks & packages, for nearly 3 years yet never had the occasion to use it, so unless you’ve got ADR work lined up, I’d think twice about going for it. My certificate’s spent more time in my wallet than a Northern Bank fiver! :wink:

nickb67:
I’ve had the whole lot (less 1 & 7), tanks & packages, for nearly 3 years yet never had the occasion to use it, so unless you’ve got ADR work lined up, I’d think twice about going for it. My certificate’s spent more time in my wallet than a Northern Bank fiver! :wink:

You wouldn’t have ADR work lined up without it would you ? You wont get ADR work without it. No one will take you on then pay for your ADR.

I have had my ADR for over a yr now & never used it

But with this new dcpc in it can count towards that if you can find the right provider

nickb67:

Hi nickb67,
That’s my point exactly mate!!
I completely agree with you that the ADR course is pretty straightforward and I know this because I’ve been teaching an average of 30 ADR courses per year since 2003 for a variety of providers.

From my posts on here, you’ll see that I always advise those going for their first ADR licence to give the tanker module a miss, and there are two reasons for my suggestion.

• The cost and time of the 1.5 days that the tanker module takes to do.
  • The fact that it’s quite rare for an ADR newbie to even get an interview at a tanker company.

Add to that the possibility that the driver might also be a newbie as a driver, and you can see the very real difficulties those guys face.

In certain situations, even a newbie has an advantage by already holding an ADR packages licence, because they’re ready to go if the occasion arises. Sometimes, there might be a situation of an experienced driver Vs a newbie, but the experienced guy has no ADR. That guy’s experience then becomes irrelevant if the boss needs the job done, and it will then only be the newbie who can legally carry that load.

From my experience (25+ years on most aspects of dangerous goods,) the newbie has the best shot at a tanker job for a home delivery fuels (central heating oil or propane) type company, but this type of transport is usually carried on Cat C1 or C tanker vehicles.

IMHO, ADR tankering on a C+E vehicle is beyond the reach of all but the most exceptionally lucky newbie, because tanker firms tend to be quite conservative and are looking for steady progression and experience, rather than a meteoric rise to a C+E tanker.